Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

most disliked phrases and sayings and why

wadrew

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate it when someone who thinks they have a much higher IQ than me - and doesn't - goes through some five minute explanation of a basic idea, then looks uncertainly at me and says, "Did that make sense?" IOW "Could you understand that? I know you're stupid." My reply is usually, "It's an advanced concept, but I think I got it." I have the horrible feeling that very often the irony goes right over their heads.

Tactical ______! This is over used and never understood by the utterer. Holsters, gloves, ropes, belts, clothes, colors, fabrics, harnesses, hats, magazine pouches, knives, forks, spoons, or even firearms ARE NOT TACTICAL!!! A coffee cup ISN'T tactical...., how it is filled might be. :D KURTM

I am so GD tired of hearing 24-7 when anything is explained. We are on your case 24-7 What, no bathroom break? Never sleep? BS. Is 24-7 in any way related to 7-11? How about 5 and 10?

As far as "Have a good day" It has been shortened now to "Have a good one" Usually said by the woman behind the counter at the coffee shop.

My answer: Darlin, I have a good one ;)

As someone posted, better off not saying anything.

I often ask a student something along the lines of, "Did that make sense?" to check for their level of understanding, especially when I am finding it particularly difficult to articulate an explanation of a concept. I am not "talking down" to them. OTOH, I sometimes ask an adult, "Did that make sense?" because I have grown accustomed to dealing with horribly stupid people. Does that make sense?

"...Well, that depends...!"

And at that precise point in time I control some primitive urges by just walking away.

As used above...funny

Normally used by some idiot who can not take a stand and will never be right or wrong since his view of everything "depends"

:angry::angry:

A'ight,

A few more I can't stand. These belong in the same garbage can as "irregardless":

1) "Leverage", when used as a verb.

2) "Proactive", which seems to mean the same thing as "active", and the most recent,

3) "Actionable", as in, "we knew, but just couldn't think of anything to do about it."

Try to be proactive, and leverage your actionable information under the New Paradigm. We need synergy here, outside the box. Make sure to leverage your tactical pants while you action it, too.

DogmaDog

This thread reminded me of one of my favorites from Strunk and White's Elements of Style.

(I know I'm a loser to quote someone else's work... but hopefully some will find it as funny as I do.)

Misused Words:

Flammable

An oddity, chiefly useful in saving lives. The common word meaning "combustible" is inflammable. But some people are thrown off by the "in-" and think inflammable means "not combustible." For this reason, trucks carrying gasoline or explosives are marked FLAMMABLE. Unless you are operating such a truck and hence are concerned for the safety of children and illiterates, use inflammable.

:lol::lol::lol:

And if you own the book, anther favorite misused word is "hopefully."

:D

1) "Leverage", when used as a verb.

2) "Proactive", which seems to mean the same thing as "active", and the most recent,

3) "Actionable", as in, "we knew, but just couldn't think of anything to do about it."

Try to be proactive, and leverage your actionable information under the New Paradigm. We need synergy here, outside the box. Make sure to leverage your tactical pants while you action it, too.

DogmaDog

Dogmadog,

Is that really you Mr. Covey? :D

"Try to be proactive, and leverage your actionable information under the New Paradigm. We need synergy here, outside the box. Make sure to leverage your tactical pants while you action it, too."
Like, Aaaaarrrggghhh, man!!! :wacko::P

A recent word-abuse case: "ISSUES"

Criminy. No one has problems, concerns, faults, screw-ups... they have "issues." Issues about WHAT...? An issue about a problem? an issue of concern? an issue concerning your faults? an issue of the latest gun magazine? Huh? I see it over-used, mis-used, definitely abused. It's the latest thing here in Eugene, anyway. Everyone--and I mean everyone--seems to have "issues"........! Well, now that we ALL have 'issues', can we go on to something ELSE...??!! :angry:

I often ask a student something along the lines of, "Did that make sense?" to check for their level of understanding, especially when I am finding it particularly difficult to articulate an explanation of a concept. I am not "talking down" to them. OTOH, I sometimes ask an adult, "Did that make sense?" because I have grown accustomed to dealing with horribly stupid people. Does that make sense?

Absolutely not. Could you explain it again?