Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor Spelling

Steve RA

Aoccdrnig to rseerach at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

PS: Hwo'd yuo lkie to run tihs by yuor sepll ckehcer?
:devil:

Bugs me that folks are too lazy to right click on the words with the red lines under them. I am a spelling and grammar nut and that coupled with OCD makes it difficult sometimes to be a member of public forums where spelling and contextual usage of words often goes by the wayside. The most common thorn in my side is the use of their, they're, and there. I suck at math.

What amazes me are the number of spelling and grammar mistakes I see in cover letters from applicants. I'm a software engineer (and hiring the same) - so English spelling and grammar may not be the most crucial things to the job, but computers aren't forgiving, and spelling/syntax mistakes in code simply won't work.

And really ... if you're applying for a job, can you not take an extra five minutes and check your letter and resume? If you're not willing to put that small amount of effort into trying to get this job, why should I even look at your application?

The most common thorn in my side is the use of their, they're, and there.

I hear you on that one! They're is no reason for this at all. Their are to many people who don't care about there spelling.

What amazes me are the number of spelling and grammar mistakes I see in cover letters from applicants. I'm a software engineer (and hiring the same) - so English spelling and grammar may not be the most crucial things to the job, but computers aren't forgiving, and spelling/syntax mistakes in code simply won't work.

And really ... if you're applying for a job, can you not take an extra five minutes and check your letter and resume? If you're not willing to put that small amount of effort into trying to get this job, why should I even look at your application?

We had an opening a few years ago, and the head of another department tried to get me to hire a kid he had as an intern for a couple of years. Same thing. Typo's all over his cover letter. I wouldn't even interview him, despite the other manager almost forcing me too. Like you said, if you can't take the time to proofread the most important letter of your life (at 21, anyway) how much attention to detail are you going to give your day to day tasks.

my Grandma liked this joke

after more than a few rounds with the football coach, the English teacher

and a star player who had to 'pass' to play

this deal was struck;

If the player got even one letter of the only word in the spelling test

then the player would be given a 'passing' grade.

the word was called out: coffee.

the player wrote "kaughy"