Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 Northwest Multigun Challenge, Bend, Oregon

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This match by far was the most balanced and well run match I have been to after 40 + majors in 10 years.

The even round count for all 3 guns , and using all of them on each stage

and 8 of them with targets ranging out to 350yds!

Technical but not to hard to remember ,oh and no prop guns too.

I can't believe scoring was the fastest ever (thank you Ken "mr.practiscore" Nelson ) ,RO's were fair and consistent, prize table was fabulous!

and the BBQ dinner was tasty.

Doug and Scotty don't change a thing ,including your sence of humor!

Other MD's you had better take notes this is the standard for which all matches are to be judged.

A huge thanks to Scott and Doug, this was my first multigun and I am officially hooked. As soon as I hear COSSA has approved dates my room will be booked, and next year I'm bringing more spare parts so I can hopefully finish in the same category in which I start (HM, assuming enough people sign up to make it a class). All part of the learning curve, I guess; bring lots of spare parts, and you can dump a weapon that's taken a crap and finish the stage with the other weapons, avoiding the 26 FTE's on a single stage...

Uhhh... Nathan. Heavy metal WAS a class. ;)

Greg Smith

2nd Place - Heavy Metal -NWMGC 2013

ok... maybe it was a SMALL division. A SUPER small division. But I love my engraved mug!

Can't wait until next year!

Edited by GregSmith

I was DQ'd for spilling my pistol, it was a good call at the time as I thought that I had brushed the pistol on a wall causing the gun to fall out. I took it like a man (except for a few tears :-)

When I got back home and watched the Go-Pro footage I made a YouTube video so that others could learn from my mistake. However, what I found was at 12 seconds the RO accidentally unlocked my holster, thinking he was helping me, and at 41 seconds where the gun spills and I am still 3-4 feet away from the wall.

Moral of the story, ROs need to keep their distance and never touch a competitors equipment without competitors express permission. This was not intentional by this RO but I am still out 4 days of lodging, gas, food, and Match expenses of $500+

BTW, this was the best of the NWMGC matches, in Stage design, food, prizes, super fast scoring, and Match Administration.

I plan to be back next year even if both Doug and Scott offend me :-)

I was DQ'd for spilling my pistol, it was a good call at the time as I thought that I had brushed the pistol on a wall causing the gun to fall out. I took it like a man (except for a few tears :-)

When I got back home and watched the Go-Pro footage I made a YouTube video so that others could learn from my mistake. However, what I found was at 12 seconds the RO accidentally unlocked my holster, thinking he was helping me, and at 41 seconds where the gun spills and I am still 3-4 feet away from the wall.

Moral of the story, ROs need to keep their distance and never touch a competitors equipment without competitors express permission. This was not intentional by this RO but I am still out 4 days of lodging, gas, food, and Match expenses of $500+

BTW, this was the best of the NWMGC matches, in Stage design, food, prizes, super fast scoring, and Match Administration.

If your holster can unlock with a touch and then the gun just falls out you need to get a different holster for 3 gun. I agree that an RO should never touch your equipment, but it did look like you were going to knock it out yourself as you got the mag out of your right rear pocket, like you did on Stage 4, except on Stage 4 the RO caught the gun before it hit the ground. Since it was an empty gun on Stage 4 it was not a DQ, but points to a design problem with the holster. This is why I use a COM kydex holster, when it's locked you can't pull the gun out and even if I unlock it completely my gun won't just fall on the ground.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I just started reading this thread after seeing a post in another thread. Dude, you got screwed! You're taking it well and I'm glad you're planning to go back. But that RO, WHILE HAVING THE BEST OF INTENTIONS, apparently thought you were going to knock your gun out. It sure looked liked there may have been a problem coming and he injected himself into it.

I can see myself making the same mistake and touching someones equipment. Lesson learned! DON"T TOUCH!

Thanks for sharing the video. We can all learn from this, us viewers, the RO and you most of all from the great expense lost.

BTW, what holster were you using?

Steve

How does that holster unlock? And how do you believe the RO unlocked it by holding the grip?

(Honest question - I don't know the holster.)

This is a Ernie Hill Jet Holster and it just needs a slight push down to unlock it. The RO was not trying to unlock my pistol but that is clearly visible as you watch 11-13 seconds in slow motion.

I posted this video not to malign the Match or RO's, just so that all can see why an RO is not suppose to touch a competitor nor his equipment unless asked.

I just started reading this thread after seeing a post in another thread. Dude, you got screwed! You're taking it well and I'm glad you're planning to go back. But that RO, WHILE HAVING THE BEST OF INTENTIONS, apparently thought you were going to knock your gun out. It sure looked liked there may have been a problem coming and he injected himself into it.

I can see myself making the same mistake and touching someones equipment. Lesson learned! DON"T TOUCH!

Thanks for sharing the video. We can all learn from this, us viewers, the RO and you most of all from the great expense lost.

Steve

Steve,

I was not screwed whatsoever as I had accepted the DQ because my gun was laying on the ground and fell out of my holster. I had told the RM that I thought that I had brushed the wall with my pistol in order to make it spill. I did not see this video until I was home and reviewed all the stages that we had shot earlier.

What I am hoping that comes of this video is that even a seasoned RO needs to keep his/her distance unless asked for help.

Steve

Steve,

I was not screwed whatsoever as I had accepted the DQ because my gun was laying on the ground and fell out of my holster. I had told the RM that I thought that I had brushed the wall with my pistol in order to make it spill. I did not see this video until I was home and reviewed all the stages that we had shot earlier.

What I am hoping that comes of this video is that even a seasoned RO needs to keep his/her distance unless asked for help.

Bill, I apologize, I was wrong.

This video is a good reminder for us all.

Best wishes!

Steve

This is a Ernie Hill Jet Holster and it just needs a slight push down to unlock it. The RO was not trying to unlock my pistol but that is clearly visible as you watch 11-13 seconds in slow motion.

I posted this video not to malign the Match or RO's, just so that all can see why an RO is not suppose to touch a competitor nor his equipment unless asked.

Bill,

After going thru this do you think you'll use that holster again or switch to something with a lock?

Steve

i got to see this first hand as i was the on-deck shooter. i absolutely remember seeing the RO do that. was not sure wtf for. bill did not look like he was about to knock his gun outta his holster. you will also notice the RO had no clue the gun had dropped. bill actually stopped and walked back to it. watching it in slow mo you see the gun hit the deck on the beavertail while pointing straight up in the air. scary.

IAC, this is great footage and an excellent lesson for RO's on what NOT to do.

Yes, I will continue to use this same holster since it does have both a good locking position for 3 Gun running as well as a quick draw mode for pistol competitions...

Over 200 matches and 75+ of them 3 Gun / MultiGun without a spill, why change something that works?

Uhhh... Nathan. Heavy metal WAS a class. ;)

Greg Smith

2nd Place - Heavy Metal -NWMGC 2013

ok... maybe it was a SMALL division. A SUPER small division. But I love my engraved mug!

Can't wait until next year!

A huge thanks to Scott and Doug, this was my first multigun and I am officially hooked. As soon as I hear COSSA has approved dates my room will be booked, and next year I'm bringing more spare parts so I can hopefully finish in the same category in which I start (HM, assuming enough people sign up to make it a class). All part of the learning curve, I guess; bring lots of spare parts, and you can dump a weapon that's taken a crap and finish the stage with the other weapons, avoiding the 26 FTE's on a single stage...

OK, so I did those quotes out of order... Sorry to be late on the replies and drag this back up, I'm out of town and just got access to the inter-web. I just wanted to clarify; I was shooting HM this year, until my rifle broke down on day 1 and I had to switch to tactical just so I could finish the match. I was trying to say that hopefully next year I will be able to stay in HM all the way through, if it is a class, as from what I've seen and read it seems to be an ever-shrinking group, and many of the matches end up not recognizing it because such a small percentage of shooters express interest in it.

Nice shooting Greg, hopefully next year my name will be somewhere not far behind yours in HM!

To Pete, the R.O.'s, and anybody curious who witnessed my rifle F'ing up (the dark earth .308 on stages 3&4): after a little google-fu and some $ dropped, I believe my extractor issue has been fixed. It seems it came from a common issue with .308 AR's of over-gassing, and she should run much smoother wearing a Syrac gas block. I think the extractor had a hair-line crack that started causing the FTE issues, and I didn't catch it until it sheared off.

Until next time!

Nathan, thanks! But you weren't tremendously wrong. I am super proud of 2nd, but we both know what a small division it was. Next year I hope we both are up there. Hopefully with a higher match percentage than this year! (Darn that Scott McGregor for Being so awesome! )

• 2 weeks later...

Damn it, why did so many people like the match? We will have to do something worse next year!

I was so hoping to get fired but Doug was quick to point out that slaves can't be fired.

Thank you to all that replied to the After Action Questioner that we sent out...we are in the process of figuring out what road to take on a couple of the questions but most is very clear. Almost all want to get done earlier but to do that we are looking at only 10 person squads max and having a 4 stages in the AM for the first 2 days and then all squads will have to shoot 2 stages on the 3rd day instead of 3. I have to look at the RO side of it too! It was easier on the ROs this way and they got off at a decent time of day every day to enjoy the surroundings too. If you have not figured out we have a soft spot for our ROs/Staff!

We have yet to get an answer from COSSA about the 2014 dates but expect an answer any time.

Both Doug and I just returned from the JPRM3G and are in the process of still licking wounds and catching up on things.

Thank you again for all the kind words and the support all have supported us with...since this is why we do it, it speaks volumes.

Pictures will be up very soon (over 1,300) and look either here or at our website for updates. Long live Multigun....

Sincerely,

Busyhawk

Edited by busyhawk

Very cool about the crease award

Some of the prizes came in late so we gave some to the ROs via random drawing and gave the DPMS rifle to the shooter nearest 50%. Scott and I don't keep any of the booty or money, in fact we spent down to just about $0 again this year.

We have approval for next year but dates are not firm yet. We hope to have the 2014 Application out before Thanksgiving.

Doug