Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide to frame fitting

bonglee0507

hi everyone, which is a better process in slide to frame fitting. TIG welding or peening/squeezing? i just bought an sti edge and it rattles a little bit, i know this does not affect accuracy but i just want my pistol to be tight... your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Edited by bonglee0507

Definitely not worth the effort to weld it up. Might as well buy a new slide if you're going to go through that much trouble. If it's just a small amount, a squeeze in the vise with proper tools should do the job.

Its a new sti edge. I think its too impractical to buy a new slide. I read in other articles that squeezing the slide might damage it. Isn't tig welding good? Or will it damage the frame? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

If it's new, I'd send it back and ask for a different one. TiG will work, but it doesn't make sense to do build up in just a couple of spots. You have to pretty much weld the entire rail, and even the smallest bead you're going to run is going to require machining and hand lapping to get it perfect. So it's pretty much the same job as fitting a new slide. Only with welding you introduced a bunch of heat into the part, which isn't really a good thing either. I've built a lot of 1911s over the past 15+ years, have a Syncrowave 250 sitting in my garage, and have multiple AWS certs for MiG and TiG, but this is not something I would do. Not saying it can't be done (assuming you have all the tools), but it's just not worth the time and effort.

If it's new, I'd send it back and ask for a different one. TiG will work, but it doesn't make sense to do build up in just a couple of spots. You have to pretty much weld the entire rail, and even the smallest bead you're going to run is going to require machining and hand lapping to get it perfect. So it's pretty much the same job as fitting a new slide. Only with welding you introduced a bunch of heat into the part, which isn't really a good thing either. I've built a lot of 1911s over the past 15+ years, have a Syncrowave 250 sitting in my garage, and have multiple AWS certs for MiG and TiG, but this is not something I would do. Not saying it can't be done (assuming you have all the tools), but it's just not worth the time and effort.

this is the philippines bro, you just can't return it just like that it's your's for life or sell it at a 2nd hand price. the warranty center of sti here will just do peening and squeezing of the frame and slide. searched the net and i found out that tig welding is the best way and that's only $73 here.

Apply slide glide then shoot the hell out of it.

no slide glide here man!

If all things were equal, welding the rails would be best, but peening the rails does work. Never squeeze the slide.

It comes down to the skill of the smith doing the work.

Just curious, but what's wrong with squeezing the slide? Brownells sells tools specifically for this purpose and I've done it many times.

Welding when done correctly is as good as any repair. Problem is getting a gunsmith that knows how to do it correctly. i have had my open gun rails welded and the slide re-fit no problems.

If i have it welded, will the existing finish of the frame(hard chrome) be affected? Do i have to re-finish it?

double plug your ears, so you dont hear it rattle, and shoot the crap out of it, or sell it. If you start trying to fix it you could get into a chunk of change and if you are going to drop a chunk on it then you should start over, also are you sure it is the slide rattleing ???

double plug your ears, so you dont hear it rattle, and shoot the crap out of it, or sell it. If you start trying to fix it you could get into a chunk of change and if you are going to drop a chunk on it then you should start over, also are you sure it is the slide rattleing ???

Im sure bec im not wearing any ear plugs

Im sure bec im not wearing any ear plugs

I was just kidding about the ear plugs,but really just shoot it until it falls apart