Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trigger freeze

RickyH

1) Loosen your right hand grip some (provided you are shooting right handed). It is hard to maintain fluid movement in your trigger finger if your right hand is crushing your grip.

2) Dry fire practice... lots and lots of dry fire practice.

I don't have much of a problem with trigger Freeze. its just that my trigger is never hot.

I happen to use a power hand tools in my work. holding a saw up to make an accurate cut only requires a firm pull on the handle

So in order to isolate my trigger finger for shooting I used to do some drills with a Bat size stick. and weight lifting bar with the neoprene pipe insulation form Home Depot slipped over the bar.

I hold the bar or bat vertical and grip it below center holding it with out the grip of my trigger finger. = move the pole around with out damaging the house and you will find its a great -hand work out- Lightly press the foam with the trigger finger after you get your hands tired. * keep both Thumbs on the left side like a pistole grip

It works one handed and two handed = :blush: don't get crazy and hit your self below the belt zone with the bottom of the pipe :sick:

Edited by AlamoShooter

need help with trigger freeze . what can I do to make my finger work independent from my hand?

Do you take to long to pull the trigger because the sights are not perfect or are you gripping hard and your trigger finger feels like it won't move?

I think I'm gripping the gun so hard that my finger won't move

Get the grip you like with your strong hand with good trigger relationship, use a medium firm hold. Then use you support hand to wrap and hold that strong hand relationship. Just hold what you have not increasing or decreasing force with a very firm support hand. The support hand will pin the strong hand in place leaving the strong hand free to work the trigger.

I have had this problem when I first started to shoot Limited with a gun with a light trigger. In the time leading up to this my pistols all had 4lb triggers and were pretty light. (BHP) When the pistols would recoil they would reset the trigger automatically and I never had to think about it when placing shots together. Then whenI got my CZ, things changed and I began to get trigger freeze. I had to learn to properly use my trigger finger and isolate it much the way Graham is suggesting. It really worked, and helped improve my accuracy a bit too.

need help with trigger freeze . what can I do to make my finger work independent from my hand?

Do you take to long to pull the trigger because the sights are not perfect or are you gripping hard and your trigger finger feels like it won't move?

Thats one thing that is so disappointing - The gun and sights get to target , and I see a good sight picture. But the hammer is slow to fall. = I have to wait on my trigger finger to pull.

A true trigger freeze happens when the trigger is down and will not let go to pull again.

The exercise I recommended was to let you developer a good stronger grip with the hand " without using the trigger finger as part of that grip"

Some people could type out Morris code and some people can't I am the guy that represents Effort over Talent

I went through a period, in 2011, when my mind would say squeeze and my finger would not move. It drove me crazy for a couple of months! I worked through it with a LOT of dry fire, and live fire, practice.

Edited by Reshoot

• 2 weeks later...

When you pull the trigger, do you think about the trigger pull?

I sometimes have trouble with trigger freeze on like 3ft targets, becuase I think about pulling the trigger as fast as possible instead of thinking about aiming/going to the next target. When I think about other things(than working the trigger) I never have trigger freeze.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure I understand what your freeze is from, but what I see a lot of shooters do is not release the trigger far enough. Every where I go around dallas I hear people teach, 'only release the trigger far enough for it to reset' Big mistake, you have to completely release the trigger. Doesn't mean you have to take it all the way off, but you have to go past the reset. I carry a clicky pen with me a lot, and pull and release as fast as I can. If you try to just release the pen a little bit, you won't go as fast as if you release it all the way. Somewhere I saw a video of Leatham where his trigger finger hits the back of the trigger guard on several shots in a string.

That bar trick sounds like a real good one, gonna have to try that.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

your tensing up trying to go fast

relax quit forcing the speed and shoot with your eyes and not your ideas

This.

I recently played around with grip tension and it had no effect on my trigger speed, even when holding on tight enough with both hands that the gun was shaking I was still able to run sub .20 splits. It's your brain. When you are trying to shoot fast you will freeze. If you just relax and shoot the target without trying to go fast the splits will flow.

Get away from the idea that über fast splits on target is going to help you win matches. In fact take two shots on target right out of your practice regimen for awhile. Learn to work transitions, see the transition drill in this forum, or work on your movement and don't worry about your on target splits....just shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive gone through all of this and still at times I do get the TFreeze. I ve done the harder grip vs lite grip, left verse right hand tension but in the end, I have found, I have shot my fastest with just relaxing, settling my nerves down.

Had nothing to do with recoil springs, heavy or light bullets...this or that setup, nothing. It all had to do with relaxing and shooting from "within ones' self".

For me to get the trigger finger to work indepentant of the right hand, I tell my mind, myself..."let it flow, from within".... like exhaling a breath of air..."let it flow, from within", then proceed to execute

only watch and NOT think of the front sight. IF you think front sight, now your working to pull the trigger.

IMO

Edited by kimberacp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've had it described to me as holding the gun in your strong hand like you would hold a hammer (which is a lot looser than what I was doing). Then grip as tightly as possible with the weak hand. I find that helps trigger freeze. Then as an aside, I only put grip spray on the palm side of my weak hand and on the back of my strong hand.

I got some advice a while back. Dry fire against a blank white wall while watching your sites. The goal is to go through the trigger squeeze and release while keeping the sites steady as possible. It helped me.

During practice Saturday, I had several instances of what I think this thread is about. My 2nd shot (of a pair) failed. I wasn't getting my finger forward enough for the reset on the follow up shot. This came about as I was working on getting a stronger grip. (Shooting Production with an M&P and APEX internals).

For the time being, I put in the stock trigger return spring to help, which it did. I guess this is a Band-Aid, but I'll have to start the exercises above to gain back better control.