Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&W powderpuff load required

Airedale

Mrs. Airedale has decided to set aside sporting clays and try IPSC. She doesn't like semi-autos and has decided to shoot the wheelgun. The N frame is a bit large for her hands so she will be test driving a 4" 646 Smith (.40 S&W). Factory loads will be too stout for her. (I thought about a 38 spc. but that involves speedloaders-I want to use the KISS principle)

I am looking for a minor power factor load she will be able to shoot comfortably. If it hurts, she won't want to do this. I really want her to shoot for Team Airedale.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

(I thought about a 38 spc. but that involves speedloaders-I want to use the KISS principle)

Um, you could have the cylinder machined to acept moon clips for 38 spl. I'm in the process of doing just that with a 4" 686 I have. I have speedloaders for it, but why not moon clip it? Make loading and unloading easier..

Vince S.

That is awesome. I guess the good exposure to our fine squad over the weekend was an overwhelming lure to the game despite the rain. I have a 646, as you may know, and I think the question is "Does it matter whether she shoots major or minor?". You have already indicated minor, but maybe you should let her try a few different recipes just to make sure.

I use 180 grain Zero TCFMJ and 4.8 grains of Vita Vhouri 320 and get over 170 power factor. The load is not as harsh as factory, but still substantial. I will be happy to bring you some of my loads to try in Jean's revolver if you like. I will be at A5 tomorrow and on to Nats next week, so first time I see you may be at KAPS.

Maybe if you load something marginally close to 165 PF she will be OK with it and still make major.

Fomeister you are absolutely right. She had a good time inspite of the rain at Tn. and is wound up to try this game.

I am going back up to A5 tomorrow. I want to see Jerry M shoot. I shoot just like him except for the speed and accuracy thing :D

I'll be there around 0900.

Thanks,

Dave

Find me, I'll give you some of my ammo for her to try as an example of 170PF.

Mrs. Fomeister is coming to watch me shoot for the first time. I am excited about the match and about her being there.

I have been having gun problems and will be shooting BW's Edge. How did you do today? What about Jack? Lots of B class wheelgunners scheduled to shoot.

It just occurred to me how that we could try some different loads for Mrs. Airedale. I have some new Starline here that I could put in the 650 and prime, remove it so to skip the powder die and hand load the powder one round at a time, then put it back in at the seat and crimp station. We could play with lots of different loads this way.

I had a decent shoot (for me). Some smooth, accurate and moderately fast stages and some...well....crash and burn.

The highlight was one of my smooth and accurate runs where someone (no name mentioned...Jawor!!!....pasted two of my alphas prior to the RO scoring them! The reshoot was a very ugly crash and burn! It was an honest mistake-he thought they had scored them. The reshoot was ugly but Jacks embarrassment was priceless. Did I mention the 646 loaner for Jean is Jack's?

I'll find your squad in the morning and "borrow" some of your test loads.

The B class revo class is hotly contested. I, of course, kicked butt in the D class!

See you tomorrow.

Dave

Dave,

I currently am shooting 3.2gr of tightgroup under a 180gr MG. I can't remember my velocity out of a G35 but I do remember it is right at 132pf. It feels as if I am holding on to a mouse with gas. (haha) My gf is new to shooting and took no notice going from a buckmark .22 to these loads in my G35. I have loaded as low as 3.0gr of TG but my velocity spread opened a little. I think it was related to a low case volume at that charge. However even at 3.0 I was still easily making minor pf. BTW I have shot about 8-9,000 rds of the 3.2gr loading for IDPA ESP without a single hiccup. Good luck getting your wife set up with something that she wants to shoot. I can't wait till my SO gets a little more confidence so she can start shooting more with me.

Take care, Craig

I'd try 135's (Raineer or Berry) w/ Clays. I'd start at about 4.5 and work up (maybe 4.3). Nice and soft out of my 5" 610. For the best accuracy, load up Nosler or Sierras and you have my 'Cup load. Now if I could do my part.

Aierdale,

First of all...

GOOD SHOOTING at Area-5 :D 50% of Jerry Miculeck and you call yourself a D class shooter? <_<

Here is my load I shoot in My 610 for USPSA, Drop 10% and chronograph as all guns don't shoot the same ..

You are looking for an average of 840 fps with these bullets, that will give you 130,000 and a little bit.

Bullet ...... Precision 155 grn round nose ( reloads the best in revolvers )

Powder..... Vita-Vori N320 (it and Clays are the two cleanest for me)

Primers.....Federal small pistol (revolvers with soft trigger pull must have this)

Factory Over all Length 1.125 This should get your crimp just behind the first land of the bullet shoulder.

I use mixed brass and don't have any problems.

This load Makes 170,000 PF in the 610 (major).

You may substitute Clays to make your own MINOR load as you will not have any pressure trouble at the minor level but do not use it to make Major.

155grn Precision bullet .40 Round Nose

5.7 grains V.V N320 ( remember this is for Major) as I generally shoot my major loads in IDPA (no major) anyway

Federal Small Pistol primer

mixed brass

O.A.L. 1.125

If I remember right as I forgot to write it down the time I did download I think I used 5.0 grns.

If you use Clays start from the Minimum and go up until you get to around 130,000 PF (840 for 155grn)

Good Luck and see you next week.

SAM/Hopalong

Don't know what it factors but it cycles my Fat Free Long Slide.  I drop the 155 MGB JHP on 3.7 grains of titegroup.  I've shot it for Steel Challenge and Shootoffs.

Thanks reneet.. I was searching for minor loads with lighter bullets.. not a lot of info here.

I tried this with some Berry's 155 (plated) with TG 3.7, based on this... Sweet! Talk about poof-loads.

It ran over my Chrono at avg 758fps.. about a 117PF. :D

It did cycle my production gun with no problems. I'll bump it a little to make minor, but I'll also do more like this just for fun.

• 10 months later...

I have used 3.4 to 3.6 gr. WST with 155 & 180 gr. LTC's with federal priomers with outstanding results for a very mild load. With 155, 165 & 180 gr. Star FMJ's I use 3.6 to 3.9 gr. WST with Federal primers. The 3.6 gr. WST load is amazingly accurate with all the bullet weights I have tried in both lead and jacketed. That S&W 646 is a real sweetie!

Tony

Use a 180 grn bullet and 3.2 to 4.0 grns of Titegroup (depending on your revolver and the OAL you choose - adjust charge to meet PF.

Alternatives: 180 and straight Clays

180 and N320.

Adjust to meet 130 to 135 PF

180's and 3.5g of TiteGroup at 1.135.

Flex,

What # spring do you use with your glock with this load?

Sorry I missed this.

My Glock 35 will run this load with a factory spring and rod. But, the brass just clears the gun. I'd suggest trying a #15 and a #13 pound recoil spring.