Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production optics

Wilkenstein

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1911 Single Stack Division, now called Single Stack, was a combination of two equal ideas.

First USPSA was not exploiting a potential marketing field, in that over 20 (at that time) companies were making a 1911. This could enhance revenue for Front Sight through advertising and possibly put additional products into the prize table efforts.

Second it would put a gun platform that literally started IPSC/USPSA back into the game and provide easy crossover from IDPA into our sport.

Unfortunately neither of these ideas have been fully explored by the leadership of USPSA.

Nothing much has changed, if we want additional sponsorship/support from major gun manufacturers then we need to ensure that we have a reason for them to invest in our sport. Most of the top handgun manufacturers in the USA are making our Production Guns, whereas in Limited/Open perhaps the most popular manufacturers are STI/SVI and Glock.

Smith & Wesson sponsors the Revolver Nationals because that's their market but the division is small so their involvement is small

Single Stack is another small division so there is little incentive for manufacturers to work with us, the market share is too small.

STI/SVI are big sponsors of Limited and Open probably because that's their entire market.

With Production we have a wider variety of guns and therefore a wider opportunity for a more diverse sponsorship program, if we can increase the potential market for these manufacturers then we could potentially increase the sponsorship. Adding a new division that is essentially the same as Production would help to increase that interest in the sport.

If we want more sponsorship we need to increase the market for the guns made by those manufacturers.

There is little opportunity to bring in new manufacturers in the Open and Limited Divisions, I think those divisions are dominated by the STI/SVI platform.

Single Stack and Revolver are too small to generate the required levels of revenue.

I think the only option that could bring in new growth is Production but its only a single division, double it up with Production Optics and potentially we could significantly increase the sponsorship of the production gun manufacturers.

The 1911 Single Stack Division, now called Single Stack, was a combination of two equal ideas.

First USPSA was not exploiting a potential marketing field, in that over 20 (at that time) companies were making a 1911. This could enhance revenue for Front Sight through advertising and possibly put additional products into the prize table efforts.

Second it would put a gun platform that literally started IPSC/USPSA back into the game and provide easy crossover from IDPA into our sport.

Unfortunately neither of these ideas have been fully explored by the leadership of USPSA.

Nothing much has changed, if we want additional sponsorship/support from major gun manufacturers then we need to ensure that we have a reason for them to invest in our sport. Most of the top handgun manufacturers in the USA are making our Production Guns, whereas in Limited/Open perhaps the most popular manufacturers are STI/SVI and Glock.

Smith & Wesson sponsors the Revolver Nationals because that's their market but the division is small so their involvement is small

Single Stack is another small division so there is little incentive for manufacturers to work with us, the market share is too small.

STI/SVI are big sponsors of Limited and Open probably because that's their entire market.

With Production we have a wider variety of guns and therefore a wider opportunity for a more diverse sponsorship program, if we can increase the potential market for these manufacturers then we could potentially increase the sponsorship. Adding a new division that is essentially the same as Production would help to increase that interest in the sport.

If we want more sponsorship we need to increase the market for the guns made by those manufacturers.

There is little opportunity to bring in new manufacturers in the Open and Limited Divisions, I think those divisions are dominated by the STI/SVI platform.

Single Stack and Revolver are too small to generate the required levels of revenue.

I think the only option that could bring in new growth is Production but its only a single division, double it up with Production Optics and potentially we could significantly increase the sponsorship of the production gun manufacturers.

Nah

That won't work, too logical

USPSA is healthy and strong!!!

Cough cough

I went with 40 for major because the 38 caliber guns run at higher pressure, which means the comps would work better, which means everyone would have to have a 38 super/357 sig. Since capacities would already be limited, caliber wouldn't matter, but comp pressure does.

So does anyone like my idea other than me?

And the 1911 is the most popular pistol sold in America, and just about every company makes them, so would that be a boon for growth and sponsorship?

Is there any reason I should care whether we have more sponsorship? I'm much more interested in the quality of competition than I am about sponsor banners. It seems to me that outreach to new competitors via rimfire, steel challenge etc.... is a pretty effective way to hook those folks in..... but of course it doesn't matter if you don't have a club full of friendly and helpful and encouraging people to bring them along.

Benefits I can envision from more sponsorship:

Better stages in the big matches, which will trickle down to the local level.

Prize tables at smaller matches

More regional matches

big matches might become televised--- big win for the 2A culture

People will actually know what the hell USPSA is

People who might be well suited to compete will find it and start competing

Gun manufacturers might start tending to our sport more with specific models- competition will drive down the cost of entry into Limited and Open

Seems to me, more sponsors mean more on the prize table.

Is there a reason I should care what is on the prize table? I have a job, so I can buy pretty much whatever I want. I choose matches based on the quality of the stages and the quality of the competition.

As far as growing the sport, I think PO is entirely the wrong approach. The right approach is to get younger people and women involved. Kids and famiies are the future of every sport.

I think regarding sponsorship, shooting is like bicycle or motorcycle racing. As long as you are only chasing industry-specific sponsors, you have a very small pond to fish in. The big money is in energy drinks, beer, diet supplements, SUV's, insurance, and other crap like that.

None of that means that PO is a bad idea, but I don't think it's a sensible approach for growth, if growth is what we want.

Edited by motosapiens

Benefits I can envision from more sponsorship:

Better stages in the big matches, which will trickle down to the local level.

Prize tables at smaller matches

More regional matches

big matches might become televised--- big win for the 2A culture

People will actually know what the hell USPSA is

People who might be well suited to compete will find it and start competing

Gun manufacturers might start tending to our sport more with specific models- competition will drive down the cost of entry into Limited and Open

Wow - all this is going to happen from - PO? Can't imagine all this activity, even if several new Divisions are created (or some are collapsed) - nothing like it has happened before in *any* of the shooting sports. It's a nice thought, though.

Of course it won't all come from one new division; Growth in USPSA needs to occur on multiple fronts, promotion of our National events may lead to more interest, better support from USPSA for our clubs could help to show the benefits of membership in the organization, more members may lead to more support/interest from a wider variety of manufacturers, particularly if the factory divisions continue to grow.

Any sport needs growth, PO is one piece of the puzzle, it is not the ONLY piece and I don't think anyone has claimed that it is.

Just did some searching on this, apparently a dealer catalog from Glock has these models listed and its possible that they will be launched at the 2015 Shot Show. If this is correct then Glock joins S&W in providing optics-ready guns. I wonder how many more companies it will take for USPSA to wake up to this ?

Don't forget FN makes an optics ready as well. I'm pretty interested in the G40 10mm Long Slide Hunter.... that would be quite a pig pistol.

FN was one of the manufacturers that I mentioned in my original proposal, so now we are up to three.

I wonder how many more companies it will take for USPSA to wake up to this ?

lol "wake up". Arrogant much? Plenty of companies make special snowflake guns. How about "production ported"? Glock has been doing those forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by NPSS

Don't forget FN makes an optics ready as well. I'm pretty interested in the G40 10mm Long Slide Hunter.... that would be quite a pig pistol.

FN was one of the manufacturers that I mentioned in my original proposal, so now we are up to three.

Almost four. SIG SAUER was showing off the P320 RX at shot show last year. I heard we should see these coming out later this year.

sig-p320-sigtac-mini-red-dot-sight-mrds.

Edited by alma

I had not heard about the Sig gun at all... Any idea what scope that is on the gun ?

I thought I heard Leupold Deltapoint but it doesn't look like that. The adjustment in the back is in the right place and it looks like they have covered over the name?

I know SIG has been rolling their own with some red dot sights and such. Maybe it is something they are cooking up themselves or with a partner.

Edited by alma