Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Point shoot or no

moonshoxx

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way is it worth point shooting. Thats basically what a double tap is and it does not work past just a couple yards. I'm learning that you can go way slower and get better scores but blasting away as fast as you can is a hard issue to break. Controlled aimed shots are the only way to roll.

I love this topic!

I was lucky enough to shoot with Mr. Angus Hobdel a long time ago at the FL Open. We where talking about shooting the really close targets--he said to me "you have to shoot all A's on targets that are close or your giving away your match" it takes just a micro-second to make it an A by looking at your sights.

I have to admit that sometimes I forget that advise--it bites back!

I love this topic!

I was lucky enough to shoot with Mr. Angus Hobdel a long time ago at the FL Open. We where talking about shooting the really close targets--he said to me "you have to shoot all A's on targets that are close or your giving away your match" it takes just a micro-second to make it an A by looking at your sights.

I have to admit that sometimes I forget that advise--it bites back!

Did anyone else read that in Angus' accent? :roflol:

That's actually a really good point, about the close targets-- and it adds a new perspective on the conversation.

I'll bet Flex cringes at the notion of "Acceptable Hits" on any target-- especially those that are free 10-pointers.

Did anyone else read that in Angus' accent? :roflol:

LOL... I always read in the persons voice. Weird?

I'll bet Flex cringes at the notion of "Acceptable Hits" on any target-- especially those that are free 10-pointers.

I do. The close ones are even more important to get Alphas on than the far targets. (they are easier/faster Alphas...better hit factor math to get the Alphas up close)

Our ego sure does make us want to burn through a close array at "look cool" speed. That is a poor mindset that sucks us all in. (I think I will call that the Siren's Song).

A better mindset is to visually call the Alpha....always. Now, to practice what I preach...

Dave Sevigny in Combat Handgunner this (or last) month said that up close he hardly uses his sights. The definition of "hardly" is open for debate I guess. I won't do it (point-shoot) because I'm a newer shooter and I think it'll stunt my development if I'm practicing/competing locally shooting sloppy...I'm trying to develop the ability to shoot accurately, fast. And it seems to me that if you're using your sights you're always getting instant feedback on your index/presentation, so by using the sights, you're actually training your ability to point shoot...as opposed to point shooting and training neither the ability to see quickly or point shoot accurately.

And it seems to me that if you're using your sights you're always getting instant feedback on your index/presentation, so by using the sights, you're actually training your ability to point shoot...as opposed to point shooting and training neither the ability to see quickly or point shoot accurately.

Great point.

Point shooting or staying on the sights both "Work" and take the same amount of time to perform. Point shooting tricks you into thinking that its faster when in fact you are "Hoping" that your hits are on target because you really don't know. Staying on your sights allows you to call your shots and KNOW what your hits are. You can choose to KNOW what your hits are or HOPE that you have hits. Choose wisely....

I'm digging all this advice, my thanks to the experienced shooters.

The general approach I've taken has been to focus on the hits and not the time, but I must admit I've yet to notice a target without two As and reshot it. It's like my mind goes blank and I just shoot (I don't know if this is a good or bad thing?), I'm getting mostly As, but I know I'm not calling my shots. Can someone explain what that means? Is it just knowing the shots were good, or having a picture in your head of where the holes are?

Does your focus jump from the sights to the target after the shot?

I'm getting mostly As, but I know I'm not calling my shots. Can someone explain what that means? Is it just knowing the shots were good, or having a picture in your head of where the holes are?

there are a number of topics here on calling your shot. You'd be best served looking into them. But, no...you aren't looking at the target for holes. That is NOT what calling the shot is. Calling the shot is reading the feedback (sights) in recoil so that you will know where the bullet will strike the target...even before the bullet gets there.

I'm getting mostly As, but I know I'm not calling my shots. Can someone explain what that means? Is it just knowing the shots were good, or having a picture in your head of where the holes are?

there are a number of topics here on calling your shot. You'd be best served looking into them. But, no...you aren't looking at the target for holes. That is NOT what calling the shot is. Calling the shot is reading the feedback (sights) in recoil so that you will know where the bullet will strike the target...even before the bullet gets there.

Go out and try it. I tried it on close targets, and i'm better off aiming. I still practice my natural point of aim, but i can't get A's all the time. If the target is close enough to poke with the barrel, then i'd point shoot. Maybe someday i will gain enough skill to be able to point shoot out to a few yards, but today is not the day. Not for this guy.

My carry is a Lightweight Colt Officer in 45. Had 3 different 'smiths install a front sight on it but it just refused to stay on. Turned to point shooting and found I was 2 Alpha - 1 Charlie for 3 shots in various mix to 7 yards or less. 2 out of 3 A's is just fine for carry accuracy / distance. I use the same method in USPSA competition but can't hit squat past 25' so for me it has limits. Must have something to do with 66 year old eyes, hands, feet, focus, etc. Methinks a couple A's on target fast has advantages. Anyway it feels fast.

You may have a point, flex. However, at 66 with a radically diminished skill set lining up sights is just another task on a list of to do before they shoot back. I read somewhere that the first to make a loud BANG noise tends to make the other guy flinch, duck, run or something that gets him off focus. 3 shots, 4 seconds, 15 feet will get it done. If I take the time to extend an arm and line up two things I can't see very well I'm prolly not gonna see the next sunrise. So I'll stay with two hands, elbows locked in, aim the body and make as much noise in a good direction as I can muster.

However, this discussion is relative to competition not survival. In that context form and execution should, by all accounts, prevail and an old sailor can only stand and marvel at the goings on. Focus? Hell, I lost that when I stopped flying off aircraft carriers in Viet Nam. Not much else has caught my attention since. See ya on the other side of the end of the world. (^-^).

I also see my sights but no time is made for correction if the call is bad a make up shot is going down range.

this to me is point shooting,

and many a high level shooter have done this or you would never hear a make up shot on close fast tgts,

If point shooting is defined as target focus instead of gun/sight focus I don't do it. I try to always transition my eyes to the gun to shoot. I don't have to align the sights much at 7' but I still see the gun with the target in the background.

I also see my sights but no time is made for correction if the call is bad a make up shot is going down range.

this to me is point shooting,

and many a high level shooter have done this or you would never hear a make up shot on close fast tgts,

I shot at a relaxed pace and tried to call all my shots today; I could definitely call those more than 2-3" off at ten yards; is bullseye shooting a useful way to practice calling shots, or should it be faster?

Juan, if I understand your advice, you say rip off another shot automatically when I know I've shot a bad one?