Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable sights?

Flexmoney

OK...I use fixed sights on my Limited/Production gun.

My load is what it is...I don't see my switching up anytime this decade. It seems like many (most) on the boards have their load figured out...

So, why use adjustable sights at all? Just one more thing to break, right?

My load is what it is...I don't see my switching up anytime this decade. It seems like many (most) on the boards have their load figured out...

That's what I thought as well, until I found a better and cheaper load. ( I mean Like 30% cheaper!) You just never know. ;)

Good question.

I have MMC adjustable on my 5" EDGE that I'm putting the non-ported hybrid barrel into but have not have to adjust them after initial sight in. I guess if you like playing around with different front sights and/or loads, that might be a reason but other wise unnecessary.

I'm just used to the Sight picture of the Bo-Mars, and switching between different guns, if they're the same sights it's easier. Even though I rarely (as in ever) change them after it's sighted in)

And, using the same gun for Produciton and Limited-10, with whimpy production loads you could change the sight point.

Jeezus Flex. What kind of nonsense are you trying to lay of people now?

If everybody had fixed sights, used one load, and ditched their race holsters for something reliable, what would people while away their free time doing.....?

Oh yeah.....................practice.

So ... How much drop in trajectory do you get when changing your load at the ranges we shoot? It is an honest question, I never really checked but so far all my loads are in the same general range. Now .. if I very my .308 load by %10 I get about 1" change in POI. At 100 yards. Maybe I'm underestimating the problem, but do you really get that much of a difference at the 7 to 25 yards we usually shoot at?

Vlad

Guest Larry Cazes

I also like the sight picture of the Bomars on all but one of my 1911s. The only sights that come close to the Bomar for me is the Wilson combat fixed. I havent broken a single adjustable in over 10 years of shooting. Most of those rounds have been in the last 2.5, though. How many here break adjustables at the rate that Erik does?

I don't typically fiddle with my rear sight once I get it exactly where I want it, but the convenience it affords for adjusting to that point is more than worth it to me. I have experienced many frustrating hours with hammers, brass punches, and files. I've never had problems with adjustables breaking or losing their zero, so I don't think I lose anything.

All that is needed is a quick call to Mr. Heinie. Is there any other sight?.

Flex, what is an adjustable sight? Is that the new dovetail front sight thingy (technical term) for changing point of impact if someone would happen to make a huge change in the load thay were using? :wacko:

Although I had to resort to welding the rear site on my Tangfoglio because it would break if I didn't, I was never really happy with that solution because I like to tinker with stuff. And I'm super anal about having a perfectly sighted in gun...

be

I have to say that I thought the same thing a few months ago, so I approached Scott Warren, maker of the rear sight for the Langdon series Sig Sauer. I asked if he could configure a Bo-mar cut fixed sight for me, and BAM! there it was. I must say that I have had a pretty good run since installing it. Through the AWARE, Mid-Atlantic, and Area 5, I've only had one miss (left one piece of steel up), and that wasn't because of the sight! I really should get some pictures of that thing on the net. It's the best thing going, if you have a Bo-Mar cut slide and you don't want to worry about your rear sight breaking. Scott can be contacted at symtac@aol.com

Phil