Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing Bullet Mgf.

Bansheex

I'm currently shooting Montana Gold 124gr RN. I see that they have gone up in cost since the last time I orederd them. I checked out Berry's 128gr offering, and I see that they are quite a bit less.

My question is, what do you guys that use the Berry's bullets think about them? At this time, I need to save every little bit I can to keep shooting.

Thanks!

Edited by Bansheex

If you buy MG by the case, they come out to about $90.60 per thousand. If you buy Berrys, they are $88.61 per thousand. That's less than $2 difference per thousand and you are getting a much better bullet with the MG. The Berrys is an okay bullet but the MG is much better and for that price difference, it's well worth it. The only one that is significantly cheaper is lead with moly and Bayou close by.

MGT's 124gr CMJ have gone up to 128.00 per 1000 per there website.

Only if you buy a 1000 but that's why I said to buy it by the case, it is $90 per thousand then, a significant savings. Never buy the 1000 packs, it's a waste. If you need a small pack to try some, there are a few shops that sell 100 and 500 packs but other than that, always by MG by the case. And Manny may be able to give it even a little cheaper by the case, especially if you buy multiple cases.

That is only if you buy them in boxes of 1000, that works out to just over 12 cents per bullet. If you buy them by the case instead (3750 per case) the price drops to just over 9 cents per bullet and if you buy three cases it drops to under 9 cents per bullet. So at 9 cents per bullet it works out to $90.00 per thousand.

Brian

I've shot plated (both Berrys and Rainier) and for the money I'd buy Bayou bullets instead (or Precision, or one of the other moly bullets). Nothing wrong with plated but the moly coated ones shoot just as clean and accurate.

Check out precision delta

I've used plated bullets in the past and was unimpressed with them, plus the cost of plated bullets has gotten within a few buck a thousand of jacketed, so for me the cost saving wasn't worth the effort or the results.

http://precisiondelta.com/detail.php?sku=B-9-124-JHP

89 buck a thousand + 5 bucks shipping, if you order 2 thousand shipping is included

+1 for PD bullets.

I have tried many low cost bullets while shooting Limited with an STI barrel, mostly with success. Lead, Precision molys, various brands of plated. No real complaints except smoke and gummed up seating dies on my reload press with hard cast lead. Now I am shooting a comp gun and want to keep the comp as clean as possible. I've shot plenty of MG 124 jhp and PD 124 jhp. The only thing I notice with the PDs is the lower cost over the MGs I share the difficulty with laying out for bullets by the case, but 2000 PD 124s at $89/M shipped is the best compromise for me.

i have used mg for years and have great results with them. But that is not to say that berrys aren't any good because they are. I have used them for 3 years thru my grandsons9mm with not problems. I even tried some through my open gun to see if I could induce jacket speration. Not that I could tell after 200 rounds.

OK, I can't afford to buy the case at this time. I just wanted to know what folks thought of the Berry's bullet, and if they were worth buying.

If price is the most important factor, you can't afford to not buy them by the case.

Do a search, and you'll find volumes of posts about people having problems with Berry's (and all the other plated bullets out there).

Every time I see someone with tumbling bullets, it's someone shooting plated junk like Berry's. Precision Delta 124gr FMJs are $88 per k when you buy 2k, and are about 100% better than plated.

Edited by G-ManBart

Yeah, I was a Berry's fan till I started seeing funny looking holes. Switched to MG and have not had a problem since. Like it has been pointed out, case quantity is the only way to go. That pretty much sums it up for reloading in general; the economy is in the higher quantity component purchases.