Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which .40 S&W case gauge?

diversmith

Looking to add a single round .40 case gauge to my bench (already have a 7 round EGW block). Which one should I buy if I was looking to check reloads that I set up for my Glocks? Is there any real difference between a Dillon vs a Wilson or some other recommended brand?

I know the EGWs are on the slightly tighter side.

What say you?

Thanks

I have two gauges. One is a Dillon case gauge that measures .428 internally, the other is a Wilson gauge that measures .424 internally. I picked up the second one because my Briley barrel has a chamber of .427 or maybe even .4265. Loads that pass the .428 gauge might chamber. Loads that pass the .424 gauge always chamber.

I've been using the Dillon case gauge for years with no problems. the pistol's barrel can be used as a case gauge but for me its a pain in the ass to have to unlock my gun room, open the safe, drag out the gun and disassemble it, etc. the case gauge is more convienent

Edited by blaster113

Your barrel is the best gauge you will every use. I have a EGW gauge and even if it doesn't fit that gauge. they fit my Glock barrel

+1 why buy a case gauge? You have one called a barrel.

As another poster has mentioned, I would much rather have the convenience of always having a gauge sitting on my bench that is clean, rather than have to get in the safe and pop a dirty barrel out of a dirty gun :D

I use the Dillon gauge and most stuff that doesn't pass still fits in my Glock.

Looks like I will be going with another Dillon for .40

My Dillon 9mm gauge is definitely looser than my EGW block and anything that doesn't quite pass in the EGW seems to always pass the Dillon and I just put those into the practice ammo bin so I know they won't bite me in a match. So far those EGW "rejects" that pass the Dillon gauge always run thru the Glocks during practice.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Your barrel is the best gauge you will every use. I have a EGW gauge and even if it doesn't fit that gauge. they fit my Glock barrel

As another poster has mentioned, I would much rather have the convenience of always having a gauge sitting on my bench that is clean, rather than have to get in the safe and pop a dirty barrel out of a dirty gun :D

I couldn't count how many rounds failed going in a case gauge but dropped right in my barrel.

And clean your gun.