Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left hand shooters

goose2125

left handed open shooter alpha breed reporting in

The only gripe I have ever had shooting open guns left handed has just recently occured. I bought a used open gun on here which is tuned to eject brass forward, which happens to be exactly where my thumb is with the rescomp thumb rest I put on there. Haven't looked much into it (I know it's just a matter of filing the ejector but no time for careful tuning, plus it's my backup gun), but it is a real nuisance to have the brass hit your thumb on the way out

Edited by chemo

I bet you could talk to them at Infinity. I'm sure that most CAD programs can be made to mirror-image a drawing or cut program. My buddy's CNC machine is for woodworking, and it mirror-images things all the time. You do have to mess with some of the tool paths a bit, but it is doable. Can't see how it would be that hard, just don't know how many people make all the internals that would have to be made to work with a frame machined 100% mirror image of a typical 2011 frame.

I'm left-eyed, right hand dominant. I shoot left handed and love it. My left index finger does a lot- trigger, mag release, and slide stop. But I'm doing my mag reloads with my strong hand. It's even more important in 3gun. Shotgun reloads, rifle mag changes, and all jam clears are done with my more coordinated hand. I love "right handed" guns.

• 4 weeks later...

Left handed shooting actually can be an advantage, the mag release especially, I use my trigger finger to push the mag release, faster than changing my grip to use the thumb. Other than that, an ambi safety is all you need.

I shoot an open Glock,...so not much to worry about there.

Since I used to shoot limited 10, the only open guns I have ever shot were borrowed from right handed friends. I just use my index finger like I do with my limited gun. When you are a leftie, you learn to adapt to a right handed world I guess. I just keep my shirt buttoned up all the way so I don't add any more burn marks to my chest from ejected shells.

I hate when that happens, it smells like bacon frying... :D

• 4 months later...

I use my index finger to drop mags also...... other than that, no real things I can think of, though I have gotten powder burns on my thumbs once or twice from being near the ejection port. I just tape them up now and don't even think about it.

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...

SVI used to make lefthand grips with the mag release on the other side. i have one if you are interested

I still use one of those. Have transferred it from gun to gun 3 times. I love it!

• 1 year later...