Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many attempts at a texas star till one moves on?

ProGunGuy

Maybe, but I never left a plate except the one time I ran out of ammo.

Watch some videos, get your plan and go to the range and practice it. Then, you don't have to even ponder this question anymore.

I shot 3 mags at one once (20 rounders) and finished it on an empty chamber. It gets better... At my last match I cleared the star in seven shots, a personal best. I like to believe that God programmed me with a finite number of bad shots, and that I used up a good portion of them that day;)

The most I ever went on a Star was 7 shots for 5 plates. Typically go 5 for 5 or 6 for 5 if I rush it.

A Star is not that difficult, but we psych ourselves out of it. Shoot it top down and you will get it in no time.

Think of it, a plate is bigger than a headshot.

But... the short answer, depends on how many avail points there are on the stage and if it is a high or low hit factor stage, and how bad you think you suck. Say a stage with 30 rounds or so, each mike is worth about 3 to 5 seconds added to your time.

this question is in uspsa. so with that in mind = you can do the math on any target to see what it worth to -miss- it. on a 100 point stage the entire star is worth only 25 points in hits or 50 points down if you don't hit any targets on it. so with out hitting any of the targets on the star a shooter would Zero the stage no mater how fast it was shot. = your "Friends" are wrong.

Train harder at what your not good at

Brian once recommended paper plates for practice. I grab a bunch when I am getting my pizza. I use string and clothes pins between two target stands to simulate a plate rack. You can almost do the same this using a target with the plates stapled in a star pattern.

It is pretty brutal when you first start but it does get better.

The error most people make is after they run three plates they start looking at the plate rather than their front sight.

First time I shot one I was determined to not a leave a plate up. Took me 15 rounds, but it was a pride thing for me.

I've practiced on them, but we rarely use them in our matches. I'm now down between 5-9 shots depending on how calm and cool I am.

Regardless I won't leave a plate up, I won't win the match at my current level and I'd rather run out of ammo than let the star win.

Practice your weaknesses until they are strengths.

We use them but I don't think no one leave a plate unless out of ammo.

But at a outlaw match are club was ask to set up a stage. We have a star with 3" plates and I used it. One guy was picking mags off the ground and finished the star. Then someone told him as I was starting the next shooter "Generally if you have to pick mags off the ground its time to stop" .

Brent

We use them but I don't think no one leave a plate unless out of ammo.

But at a outlaw match are club was ask to set up a stage. We have a star with 3" plates and I used it. One guy was picking mags off the ground and finished the star. Then someone told him as I was starting the next shooter "Generally if you have to pick mags off the ground its time to stop" .

Brent

That star is an evil, evil thing.

Sound advice though!

the situation i am thinking of is more like this. you have shot 4 plates off the star.. you are having difficulty with the 5th one and you have shot 4 shots at it and its still there. You have taken 3-4 seconds already shooting this remaining plate. do you move on and take it as a miss or continue to try hitting it, thus taking longer.

If there are 5 plates on a star do you need a min of 5 shots to have engaged it or is 1 shot enough to dodge the Faliure to Engage PE?

Minimum of five shots. A star is nothing more than a plate rack. There are five individual targets that all must be shot at. The good thing is that no RO can tell which targets were shot at on a moving star so as long as you put 5 down range you avoid FTE's.

Never live a star behind.

The star is a super gimmicky prop..

Anyone can learn to shoot it.

Some might be able to do it faster than others but anyone can shoot it.

Every plate you live behind will cost you 15 points..

If there are 5 plates on a star do you need a min of 5 shots to have engaged it or is 1 shot enough to dodge the Faliure to Engage PE?

Minimum of five shots. A star is nothing more than a plate rack. There are five individual targets that all must be shot at. The good thing is that no RO can tell which targets were shot at on a moving star so as long as you put 5 down range you avoid FTE's.

That's what I thought was correct, but always good to ask and make sure.

The trick to the star is watching your front sight.

The trick to the polish rack is watching your front sight.

The trick to the plate rackis watching your front sight.

The trick to the paper targets is watching your front sight.

Why? Because your front sight tells you when to shoot.

Practice watching your front sight.

I love the star and weak hand shooting. When I see either of these in a stage I know I will do better than my usual bottom 25% score. It is not because I shoot better but because everyone else does worse. I can usually clean a star in 6. Don't let yourself be your own worst enemy. I also have no way to practice a star so I am not that good but to me it is just another target.

I shot my first Start this past weekend in 8 shots. I watched some of the regulars and if you do it in the right order, it actually is not that difficult, and ours was setup with a barricade splitting it down the middle, so you could only see half at a time. I hit the first 4 with no problems, the last one was rocking a bit back and forth, and it took me 4 shots to knock it off. Now that I have done it once, I have no doubt that I can do it in 5 shots, as was said I think once before, just need to see the front sight on the plate, then squeeze the trigger.

I shot my first Star this past weekend in 8 shots. I watched some of the regulars and if you do it in the right order, (Top first) it actually is not that difficult, and ours was setup with a barricade splitting it down the middle, so you could only see half at a time. I hit the first 4 with no problems, the last one was rocking a bit back and forth, and it took me 4 shots to knock it off. Now that I have done it once, I have no doubt that I can do it in 5 shots, as was said I think once before, just need to see the front sight on the plate, then squeeze the trigger.

I have also used paper plates in my practice. I usually get the small ones, there about a 4in circle. It has helped me to watch my sights and get my hits. They are easy to take and work into your practice and no added weight to haul around.