Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best powder for 9mm Minor

glockdude1

Univ. Clays would be dirty, Clays is a better choice. I loaded and shot about 25K each. I like both but they have different applications.

If you need low flash ammo - Univ. Clays is not bad, can shoot all night without being blinded.

Universal Clays does poorly in low pressure rounds (like .45acp), but isn't terribly dirty in 9mm. It was my powder of choice when I got started because I'd read it would burn reasonably cleanly and because it's a low density powder it's impossible to double charge a 9mm 115/124gr cartridge with it. i.e. 8-9gr or more will have powder overflowing onto the shell plate when the powder funnel separates from the case. I've shot thousands of rounds of 124gr 9mm with Universal.

I've used N320 for a long time and it's good; but not magic. I saw at least a 50% improvement in accuracy using WSF in my pistol, which is an M&P FS. I don't necessarily shoot better with a "super soft" load, and have had trouble with steel on some matches with lower end loads. As far as cleanliness....... I shoot FMJ/JHP bullets, so it doesn't make that big of a difference to me, but from what I can tell my WSF loads aren't quite as dirty as my N320 loads were (but I'm splitting hairs; there isn't much difference). I currently run 5.1 gr of WSF @ 1.15 OAL using a PD 124gr.

I use Unique in my Glocks, the new Unique powder is much cleaner than it used to be and loading it to make a 130PF, it burns really clean in my opinion. I have also used Solo 1000, but S1000 is not a slow burning powder.

I have used mostly HP-38 (which is re-labeled W231) for most of my low pressure loads for years. There used to be a commercial reloader nearby that sold it in bulk, by the pound, if you brought in a container, and that made it super cheap. I used it for .38 Spl, .45, and 9mm plus a few others. They no longer sell it that way, but I still have a lot of it on hand, so it is my go-to handgun powder if I'm not trying for high velocity. Burns clean, cleaner than Bullseye, and at low charge weights so it's economical even at today's prices.

AA5 also works OK. There are probably dozens of powders you could use. If I ever run out of HP38 I will start looking for an alternative, maybe. Not only pistol powders, but most of the fast to medium shotgun powders work for this sort of application too.