Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using WST?

Zmego

There are a few threads on here and a few around the internet using it. They don't print data because they say it there isn't any consistently safe loading specs.

I've been using it for 9mm without issue... not sure if I make minor or not though.

I have been using WST for years in both 9mm and 40 cal. I only use it when I am loading cast lead bullets (which is just about all I load anymore). The combination of WST and cast lead bullets produces less smoke than any other combination of powder and lead bullet I have tried with the possible exception of VV320 and lead. WST does build pressure very quickly and IMO should only be used for low to medium velocity loads. Some will say that little or no published load data for a particular powder and bullet combination means it is not be safe to use. While this is true in many cases, it is not always the case.

I think WST is marginal for both 9mm and .40 S&W for making appropriate power factors at safe pressures, but I see a lot of positive reports for WST in .45 ACP.

That being said, it seems to have a small cult following for 9mm with cast rounds and I have tried it in .40 S&W with cast as well.

WST seems to be popular in 9 minor among some Western PA USPSA shooters. You are right...there isn't alot of load data out there, so if you find someone that says they are using it, get specifics. Look on my friends list and send "the gatekeeper" a PM with your questions. Chronoing is a pain, so get a 4lb jug if you like it. I'll stick with my N320 for 9 minor. If I get bored, I might try it!

Edited by Red Ryder

I have been using WST with lead for the last couple of months, 4.6 gns at 1.10 OAL and a 124 gn SnS casting lead bullet chronos at 132 PF at 85 degs out of my G34, meters like water since its ball powder. 4,000 rds and counting without issue .... YMMV .... My match ammo is MG 124 JHPs and N320 ...

Edited by Nimitz

WST is best in 9 mm with Moly or Bayou bullets. With jacketed bullets N320 shines, but you can use WST at 4.6-4.7gr with 124gr RN set 1.145 if you go shorter drop the charge it is a bit high pressure but no where near my 9 major loads. My favorite is 4.0 gr with a Bayou 135gr set 1.145 SPP.

Can someone bring me up to speed with very specific details why WST is "marginal" for 9mm and 40 or why you would only use it for cast loads and not jacketed? W231 and WST is all I use for 9mm minor and 40 major loads respectively. No issues at all, meters well, low smoke, low recoil and makes major with jacketed, plated or moly without any issues. At about 178 PF I get minor pressure signs but nothing I'm worried about as I load to 172 PF.

Just wondering what I'm missing that is causing others to turn to different powders for jacketed or cause people to have concerns about this powder.

i have made a lot of loads with WST in 9/40/45. all my loads are in the med to max to make PF. None of my loadings have shown pressure signs. No guppying on Glocks compared to factory loads which exhibit it.

I find it meters well, is consistantly accurate in my guns, and most important, readily available.

I use WST with BBI 147gr. 3.7gr @1.135" is 135PF in my SP01 Shadow. I like it a lot....

You have any video's of that combo? I'd like to see the smoke, or lack thereof..

Sure, I have a couple from this weekend I'll load on Facebook when I get home.

Its good for cast/moly coated bullets because it doesn't smoke horribly with them. According to Hodgdon, it's bad for 9mm because the pressure curve for it in small high pressure cartridges is unpredictable. If you contact them about it, they'll tell you it's not safe to load 9mm with it. If you do a bunch of googling, you'll find lots of shared load data and one old published set of load data.

Bottom line...it's probably ok for low end 9mm minor and sub-minor, but the manufacturer says don't try it.

I've loaded 124gr jacketed, 147gr plated and jacketed, and 130gr moly with it. For all but the moly, I prefer Universal Clays. The Universal / moly combination produced really noxious smoke IMO.

If you do any .45acp reloading, WST is really good there (and there's modern published data).

Just adding another +1 for WST in 9mm minor. My CZ loves 147gr BBI, 3.6 WST, set to 1.12" OAL. It chronos right at 130pf with a nice soft pulse of a recoil. I never notice smoke unless I am doing Bill Drills with no wind at all.

WST is best in 9 mm with Moly or Bayou bullets. With jacketed bullets N320 shines, but you can use WST at 4.6-4.7gr with 124gr RN set 1.145 if you go shorter drop the charge it is a bit high pressure but no where near my 9 major loads. My favorite is 4.0 gr with a Bayou 135gr set 1.145 SPP.

Mine too...

135 RN Bear Creak moly with 4.0g WST @ 1.150 make 1000 fps consistently out of my G34 and STI Spartan 9mm.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone bring me up to speed with very specific details why WST is "marginal" for 9mm and 40 or why you would only use it for cast loads and not jacketed? W231 and WST is all I use for 9mm minor and 40 major loads respectively. No issues at all, meters well, low smoke, low recoil and makes major with jacketed, plated or moly without any issues. At about 178 PF I get minor pressure signs but nothing I'm worried about as I load to 172 PF.

Just wondering what I'm missing that is causing others to turn to different powders for jacketed or cause people to have concerns about this powder.

I said it works best with! I've loaded and shot many many thousands of 9 mm, 40, and 45 loaded with WST. I buy a couple 8# kegs every year. The Point here if you are looking for the best powder for 9 mm with 125gr jacketed I recommend N320. In 40 jacketed WST is fine but N320 is even better. When you get to 45 I use Clays with 200gr Bayou's, I've never loaded a 45 jaketed bullet. Again WST is very good with Moly 200gr in 45 but Clays is better.