Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What hearing protection do you guys use?

shuter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EARS Digital plugs.They aren't cheap but they are the best I've ever used. Very ,very comfortable. I can wear them all day at a 3-gun match, put all my gear away at the end of the day,and realize half way home I still have them in my ears.Plus I don't have sweaty ears or worry about hitting them when I mount a long gun.

Back in the late 80's I went clay shooting with my friend. I had to look for some ear pros real quick so I went to a sporting store and found some green Remington muffs.

I have Peltors and Howard Leights but I always end up using the Rems.

The old ugly green Rems are by far the most comfortable ear pros I've ever worn. :D

Msa sordins with gel cups for all the time, re setting etc. I also teach LE firearms and wear these all day with no complaints. When its my turn to shoot I out in my custom molded type ear plugs, less distractions with noise and better cheek weld for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Right now, we are running an end of the year special.

Microdefender 25 - electronic muffs - $65.00 $45.00

Passguard Heat Cured Lab Molds (40db of NRR, and you can still hear conversational level sounds!) - $135.00 $110.00.........FREE home impression kit included.

All Custom in-the-ear electronic plugs - $1100.00+ $650.00/pr........FREE home impression kit included.

Universal Fit In-The-Ear Electronic Hunter Ears - $599.00 $425.00

Buy from a shooter who's out there with you........who supports the forums you are members of...........who sponsors the matches you shoot..........who has hundreds of shooters wearing our products already............and who has a BIG surprise coming for the 2013 season.

You must send me a PM or call us at the number on the website in order to take advantage of these deals.

Passguard Heat Cured Lab Molds (40db of NRR, and you can still hear conversational level sounds!) - $135.00 $110.00.........FREE home impression kit included.

All Custom in-the-ear electronic plugs - $1100.00+ $650.00/pr........FREE home impression kit included.

Buy from a shooter who's out there with you........who supports the forums you are members of...........who sponsors the matches you shoot..........who has hundreds of shooters wearing our products already............and who has a BIG surprise coming for the 2013 season.

You must send me a PM or call us at the number on the website in order to take advantage of these deals.

I recently got a pair of the microdefenders electronic muffs, mainly to use at the one weekly indoor match I shoot where you almost have to double plug. WOW! These have got to be the best value in electronic muffs out there. At first I wasn't sure if they were working because they weren't "cutting out" during most of the gunfire, only if I was close to the shooter. The rest of the time I could hear normal sounds and have a conversation without the sound cutting on and off. Apparently the microdefenders use digital technology (whereas most of the others are still analog) which is why they are more "selective" as to the sounds that pass through and they don't do the normal "cutting out" of other electronics.

I'm also interested to try out the Passguard plugs. Supposedly, the stuff they're made with is different from the normal custom plug material and allows low level sounds to "pass through" normally.

Hear-Pro is doing some really cool stuff!

+1 for Brad @ Hear-Pro! I bought some molded plugs from him at the 2012 Alabama Section match and absolutely love them! As an Open shooter, I no longer need to double plug or wear the bulky muffs. The plugs are comfortable and Brad stands behind his product.

In fact, I wouldn't have joined the Hear-Pro Shooting Team if I didn't believe in the product;)

Another vote for custom molded plugs from Brad at Hear-Pro. By far the best I've ever used. I used to double plug with standard plugs and muffs, but since I've started using the Hear-Pro plugs double plugging isn't necessary anymore.

Do you have a link to the $650/pr electronic customs?

Most of the time when I RO I'm using SureFire EP4's that is until the open guys come to the line. Then I slip on my PRO-EARS as a little added protection. When I shoot and that includes 3-gun It's my PRO-EARS all the way. Yes they do work with my shotgun and rifle.

Go to your ENT doc and see his audiologist, let them know your a shooter and you can get fitted for custom earplugs... mine worked out great with no release valves.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he said most of his buddies who shoot shotguns all their lives are now almost deaf---I suspect poor hearing protection and shooting a bunch as a youngster without protection.

I also double plug for those thunderous open guns while RO--ing.

Go to your ENT doc and see his audiologist, let them know your a shooter and you can get fitted for custom earplugs... mine worked out great with no release valves.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he said most of his buddies who shoot shotguns all their lives are now almost deaf---I suspect poor hearing protection and shooting a bunch as a youngster without protection.

I also double plug for those thunderous open guns while RO--ing.

Or, get some from us, since we are shooters ourselves, and you'll save yourself almost $100 on basic hearing protection.......and even more on the higher end models.

We use a certified ISO 9000:9001 process, have medical device and material FDA certifications, and we supply hundreds of ENT clinics with their materials and accessories at wholesale prices, which means you're going to pay them more for something they don't do as a primary business.

I use little foamy plugs that I buy in bulk from lowes or home depot. They are disposable cheap, and comfortable for those times I have the plugs in for 3 days straight. I have tried others that are fancier. If i lose a little foamy plug, so what. I have a flinstones vitamin bottle in my range bag that I keep full of plugs. They come in orange, purple, green, pink, yellow. No tellin how many I have given away over the last few years to folks who have lost their primary hearing protection. Sometimes I will mix colors...I like to party.

They may not look high speed, but I have not heard anyone making fun of me yet, because they work. (or maybe they don't work and I have hearing damage).