Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frog lube for open guns?

Unregistered

Anyone using Froglube for open guns?

I used to use Slide glide lite on the rails, and mobil 1 5w/30 or FP-10 on everything else (hood, locking lugs, barrel exterior, guide rod etc)

Switched to frog lube and I'm finding that it cleans off much easier, but wondering if anyone else uses it and hopefully puts a lot more rounds downrange than I do. How is it over the long run?

I've degreased as best I can with Hoppes, and then alcohol. Then heated everything up with a hair dryer and brushed the paste in, letting it sit over night, before wiping it off.

I've used it successfully in all my guns including my 38sup and now 9mm major open gun. Works amazingly well and simplifies cleaning. Smells good too :)

I use the liquid version as that's much easier to apply. I don't feel it slowing down or getting gritty at the end of the match. It stays lubricated for a long time.

Edited by robot

Don't overlook the paste. That stuff cleans and lubes quite well. Just rub some into a patch and start rubbing on your gun. It will clean and lube at the same time and heated or not. The liquid is better for getting into the tight areas though and it's the slickest stuff I think I've ever seen.

Awesome! How often do you reapply? I imagine you still do a basic strip and wipe off the carbon gunk that it catches... do you then put some liquid frog lube on a patch and just rub it on the usual areas?

I apply it everytime I clean the gun, which is after every match :) I can't stand a dirty gun and I always keep my guns clean and lubed.

yeah I rub it liberally everywhere, including the outside of the slide/frame/scope/mount/comp etc etc. then wipe it down with the supplied microfiber cloth.

I been hearing about this frog stuff for some time now. Gonna have to get me some!

it's a tad expensive, but definitely worth it. it's like an improved Breakfree CLP. easy to use and works amazingly well.

Me too! :rolleyes: Its all I use anymore.

I use the paste after I wipe the gun down. Heat it in the sun or with a hair dryer and wipe off. I keep a little bottle of the liquid FL and use that as I would oil. This helps for long durations of shooting.

I can honestly say I have had zero lube malfuctions since switching to FrogLube. That was not the case before with my Open guns.

By the way.....did you know FL came out with a new cleaning solvent? I just got it.

• 1 month later...

I picked some frog lube up 3 months ago and it is amazing stuff. I have been a dedicated fan of CLP for years and have been running FL in my 38sc open gun and also my 22 open gun. Hard to keep those 22 open guns clean but this stuff is incredible. Much easier to wipe down. Works great.

• 1 year later...

There is another product on the market called Seal 1, which is basically the same stuff. Apparently there is some animosity between the two companies, because at one time they worked together. Anyway, I like the Seal 1 a little better because of the smell. It has a citrus smell instead of the minty smell of the Frog Lube.

There is another product on the market called Seal 1, which is basically the same stuff. Apparently there is some animosity between the two companies, because at one time they worked together. Anyway, I like the Seal 1 a little better because of the smell. It has a citrus smell instead of the minty smell of the Frog Lube.

:roflol:

I would like my gun to smell like napalm. Who makes that?

I keep a .40 cal Eaa tactical strapped under the steering column of my car. 2 weekends ago I took it out at the range , went to rack it and the slide would barely move . the F/L had solidified into a gummy , hardened paste. Finally got the slide freed up , put the mag back in , pulled the trigger and the pin barely dented the primer. Full teardown and rem oil and the gun runs great. I still use it in my guns I shoot every weekend and it works great . I guess being in a hot car for 3 months in the Florida sun is a big nono

I was sold on Frog lube until shooting in cold weather. Neither of my open guns would function reliably until I wiped the frog lube off and applied borrowed Rem Oil. Then they did not miss a beat.

Cold weather produce issues for anyone else?

I was sold on Frog lube until shooting in cold weather. Neither of my open guns would function reliably until I wiped the frog lube off and applied borrowed Rem Oil. Then they did not miss a beat.

Amen to that! 3 gunners have found that out the hard way. Shortly after the buzzer goes off.lol It was really designed for a water repellent as in actually immersing the gun completely in water and it adhered in place.

Gummed up my gun in the winter too.

I've gone to just using it to clean, then wiping it off. Lubing with gun butter right now.

When summer comes back, I'll be back to frog lube! But our mornings here are about 0° until June or so... need something else for sure!

According to the instructions, you should wipe dry all surfaces once the gun has been conditioned with FL. There should be no trace of paste or liquid anywhere.

Once the gun gets warm from firing, it will "sweat" a little. In sub-zero's here near Tahoe, never had such a problem (gumming up).

• 2 weeks later...

+1

I live in ND, and that's the reason I got rid of it. I didn't feel it did a great job cleaning, or making clean up easier, either though.

I have tried a ton of lubes, but was painfully underwhelmed with Frog Lube.