Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ / Bump to Open for Belt Placement?

38SuperDub

OK - Lets say someone gets bumped to Open for not having their belt in the right place - why does this happen?

5.2.3 states that the belt must be worn at waist level (different for females) and secured by AT LEAST 3 belt loops.

OK so what happens if not?

Why does 5.2.5.2 allow a competitor to adjust a holster or mag pouch that is greater than 2" form their body to comply with the rules - but no such rule lets someone adjust their belt to comply?

If your answer is "BUMP TO OPEN" here is my rebuttal - the belt position is STILL illegal in open (so are the mag pouches and holster greater than 2")

Rules need to have consequences spelled out in the rule book - IMO if you are going to let someone fix a holster that is not in compliance - why not let them fix a belt? Wouldn't shooting for NO SCORE be the proper bump if one continues to violate this rule? If so that should be spelled out.

ETA - not make this about a specific match or person

Edited by bsdubois00

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5.2.3 states that the belt must be worn at waist level (different for females) and secured by AT LEAST 3 belt loops.

The exact quote is;

The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely fixed at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops.

There is a difference. If the RO/CRO/RM decide the belt is secured WITHOUT going thru loops (such as sufficiently velcroed), the loops are a non-issue.

As for being bumped to Open, I'd like to know what rule(s) was/were cited for that move.

Ahh - thanks Remo - I didn't see the "OR"

My whole point is why is a competitor allowed to fix one violation but the other has a consequence that is not spelled out?

That would be like saying "Shooter cannot break the 180" but not saying what happens if they do.

Maybe have rule 1.1.1.1 = "Any violation of rule has the default penalty of shooting for no score unless otherwise specified"

I was the on the squad of the shooter that was bumped. There was also a magnet involved in the discussion (even though those aren't illegal right now).

The interpretation of "waist level" was definitely a hot little topic. lol.

An amazing shooter, nonetheless.

Edited by JaeOne3345

Troy - 5.2.3 and 5.2.3.1 don't mention a penalty though - Open bump? Procedural? Procedural per shot? DQ?

And here is the BIG kicker

Appendix D for Open ALSO states that 5.2.3 applies :-) SO TECHNICALLY it is not legal for open either

Not causing trouble just thinking maybe a good place for clarity

Spell it out. It should addressed before it happens to someone again. They said she understand the rule?

LOL! Where the hell are you guys getting all this news? Guess I'm not in the loop...

EVERYONE

Who cares about L-P-R - I just care about the ISSUE that is why I removed it from my post.

Does ANYONE know a rule that states what happens for violating a belt rule? or ANY equipment rule for that matter? Why is it "Bump to Open" just because that is how its always been? Is tehre a rule that says you are bumped to open?

EVERYONE

Who cares about L-P-R - I just care about the ISSUE that is why I removed it from my post.

Does ANYONE know a rule that states what happens for violating a belt rule? or ANY equipment rule for that matter? Why is it "Bump to Open" just because that is how its always been? Is tehre a rule that says you are bumped to open?

Rule 6.2.5.1 moves you to Open

But what happens because now technically they don't satisfy Open division requirements? 5.2.3 is required for Open also - same with the 2" rule - you move someone to Open because of that - guess what - open requires 2" or less also

Edited by bsdubois00

But what happens because now technically they don't satisfy Open division requirements? 5.2.3 is required for Open also - same with the 2" rule - you move someone to Open because of that - guess what - open requires 2" or less also

Possibly...

6.2.5 Where a Division is unavailable or deleted, or where a competitor fails

to declare a specific Division prior to the commencement of a match,

the competitor will be placed in the Division which, in the opinion of

the Range Master, most closely identifies with the competitor’s equipment. If, in the opinion of the Range Master, no suitable Division is available, the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

I agree that there is nothing specified about what happens. If you are bumped to Open then you still have to comply with the Open Division rules. I have always felt that the 2" fron the belt is kind of lame anyway. Is it a big advantage if it is 3 1/2 inches instead of 2" ?