Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad lot of Winchester white box (100 rd. boxes.)

afish4570

Saturday, Oct. 13 I shot in a local IDPA match. On my squad there were two shooters using the Win. 100 rd white bx. factory loads that had several misfires each. The cases had blown primers and bullets were still in the cases. One round had a primer that had the primer cup peeled back so you could see about 1/4 of the inside of the primer cup. When I examined the cases with the blown (missing) primers I observed there were no prime pocket holes to allow the primer to ignite the powder. Another shooter said he had the same problem a few weeks earlier and had the Winchester customer service contact in his ipod. One of the shooters said,"Oh no I have 600 rds. left." Disappointing,slowed down the relays and freaked the shooters out to say the least.afish4570

It is not very accurate to begin with. Years ago I bought over 30+ cases of that white box 115gr ball ammo when Bass Pro shop had a special price of 3.88 a box 50. I still have a lot of them left over, but don't shoot it anymore. I shoot nothing but my reloads...Much more accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

Last month we had a shooter fly two states over to attend a regional match. Bought local ammo and and spent 40 seconds trying to unlock his gun due to a folded neck that stuck on the chamber. This was Federal American Eagle. So it happens to all brands. Koski is correct. Reload.

I have buddies drive my ammo if possible, or I ship my ammo to myself when I fly.

Simple solution and cheap. When I used factory.....I still case gauged every round that went into my gun. Now....I reload and not a single round goes into my gun (or my daughters) without it going through the case gauge.

Buy a case gauge, take a few minutes to properly prepare for ANY match and then these rounds would not be a problem.....IN THE MATCH.

If it is important to you, then make sure that you have properly prepared. In this case, a few dollar "tool" to check your ammo and maybe 5-10 minutes of prep cost the shooter. Preperation is everything

While I always casegauge every round I fire in a match, I don't have any that could detect the absence of a flash hole...Would need an X-ray for the problem the op is talking about.

Only reason I said it couldn't happen with reloaded ammo is because you wouldn't be able to deprime without a flash hole.

Reloaders of berdan primed cases exempt from the last comment.

Edited by jmorris

If a round misfires, rack the slide and cycle, then pick it up and check for hammer strike. If it has one, then ask Winchester if they want to see it. They may want to.

Otherwise, disassemble it and dump it.

As to whoever said reload: I had to buy white box until I had enough $$ saved to buy a press. And yes, you have to balance between the urge to buy ammo and the need to not buy as much as you'd like to to save for a press :)

(Sorry, post divorce budget, behind still hurting).

You know, realistically it should not happen period. As to wether or not reloaded ammo is as good or better than reloads, that would really depend on the operator too. I really think that outside errors on ammo should be caught at the loading process and not at a match if you reload, and if not, then when you are loading your mags. When I practice and at matches, I look my ammo over as I load my mags. It has been quite a while since I have had bad ammo at matches, I do reload. As to problems with components, or that of flash holes missing or primers not going bang, hard to see something you can't see. I've had a few bad primers in the last few years, and pulled some really odd bullets out of my boxes, but never an issue with factory ammo. Not everyone can reload.

What was that lot number?

Simple solution and cheap. When I used factory.....I still case gauged every round that went into my gun. Now....I reload and not a single round goes into my gun (or my daughters) without it going through the case gauge.

Buy a case gauge, take a few minutes to properly prepare for ANY match and then these rounds would not be a problem.....IN THE MATCH.

If it is important to you, then make sure that you have properly prepared. In this case, a few dollar "tool" to check your ammo and maybe 5-10 minutes of prep cost the shooter. Preperation is everything

How is that going to help when there are no primer holes?