Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A couple of STI questions

twister

I'm looking at a couple of different STI single stacks,and wanted to know if the differences are just cosmetic? Is there any difference in accuracy,the more money you spend? Thanks for your help,Dave.

I'm looking at a couple of different STI single stacks,and wanted to know if the differences are just cosmetic?

Is there any difference in accuracy,the more money you spend? Thanks for your help,Dave.

Hi Dave,

Most of us that have or have had several STI's will say they are all good guns, and you can't go wrong..

In fact I even know a couple of guys that are quite pleased w/ their Spartan's which are the low end versions

but still apparently quite good.

There is no doubt your can spend a BUNCHA $$ in no time if you're not careful.!!

Good luck w/ it and let us know what you decide on.!

Eric! :cheers:

Out of the box my Spartan was quite honestly scary accurate with Monarch ammo at 15m. The trigger was "ok" but not great. No where near what I would consider an really good trigger, mainly it was the slop on reset. I paid $610 delivered & transferred, plus $80 for trigger work plus $110 shipping.

The shipping was because I couldn't get it to feed SWC to save my life. With a full mag it would even choke on FMJ ammo. I talked to STI they asked that I send it in for work. STI worked it over and I had it back inside of 10days. Now the damn thing will feed empty cases, and is still scary accurate for a factory gun.

STI is great to work with, and I still recommend their guns. Knowing now what I didn't know then I would get a Dawson Precision Trojan.

I got the spartan from Dawson Precision with the Competion Ready Package. Just got it at the begining of august and i have about 2500 rounds through it. The only problem i have had with it is it doesn't like the Chip McCormik Power 10 mags. I got some tripps and it has function flawlessly. The one thing i want done is have the trigger lightened. I guess Dawson cleaned the trigger up before i got it because it has about 1/8 inch take-up, no over travel, and breaks like glass.

I would HIGHLY recomend a spartan expecially the CRP one from Dawson! :cheers:

Edited by forddriver

I have had 3 Trojans. They are great guns. STI seems to be having some QC issues I have had to send 2 out of the 3 back to STI. For me it is not a big deal because I get great rates on FedEx. The customer service at STI is fantastic. Turn around was quick and the quality of work was fantastic. If I was buying a single stack tomorrow no doubt it would be an STI Trojan

I have a Spartan 9 with a little fine tuning from JLR Bros for my wife. It's already been said, but SCARY accurate, and a great 1st gun for her to compete with. Can't say enough good things about her Spartan. Either way you go with an STI (Trojan or Spartan) you can go wrong. Great quality, customer service, and results.

With STI, generally the more money you spend, you either get higher quality parts, and/or better cosmetics.

As far as accuracy goes, they are pretty much the same. I've seen several Spartans that are just as accurate as my Trojans and Eagles. :surprise:

I skipped over the Spartan/Trojan and went for the Lawman 5.0. I got it from Brazos so I had the trigger done which to me is the finest 1911 trigger I have ever shot. Accuracy is through the roof when I shot a 8 round, inch-and-half group at 12 yards at a 1 second shot cadence. I don't think you can go wrong with any STI..

• 3 weeks later...

I love my STI Spartans!! I shoot ESP and CDP with them in IDPA and SS and L-10 with them in USPSA. Very little done other than mag well, grips and Dawson Front Site. I think they are one of the best values in a competition ready gun.

Went with the spartan in 9mm here, added a dawson magwell, slim VZ grips and had extreme engineering parts for the trigger and trigger job and its just amazing accurate. The factory parts for the trigger are fine but I figured I would go extreme engineering like all my others. My smith did the work at the buddy rate of 20 bucks and it breaks about 2 pounds.

Have several STI guns most are wide body. One of my favorites is a Trojan in 9mm. The grip angle is higher than a Spartan. I really like the feel. Spent some time tuning springs and trigger job then had it hardchromed. These little nine's are a blast and cheaper to shoot than other calibers. Only problem was it broke the standard 9mm ejector. STI sent a new 38/40 ejector that was chromed. Fitted an Aftec extractor and it runs like a top. It's four years old now still tight still a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

i had a conversation with a well known sti distributor/smith about the differences in sti models both single/doubleshack.

it bassically came down to this. the more you pay, the better the finish (blue vs hard chrome) and fancier cuts/serations.

If you dont need fancy extras, get a trojan or an edge.