Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Run of the mill M4 Suggestion

Sarge

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea, but I'll most likely order it from Buds police supply.

Ya, that's were people get hot at Colt, buy one on order from someone and when they get it the finish is poor. Now you have a problem cause customer service will take a long, long time to work it out with you, and you own it, so can't take it back to anyone. Seen some very hot people, but the bottom line is, they function well no matter the finish.

Quite a few people will tell you, if you want a great finish, Colt will likely not fit the bill. They do crank out some nice ones, but you can't count on them to do that. DD, Bravo, some of the others will give you a great finish every time.

Tar

My SHTF gun is an LMT with a EOTEC. The rifle has been through a couple training courses and run pretty hard and never missed a beat. If I was looking to get another one it would be from BCM or another LMT. I wouldn't shy away from a Colt either.

Guys please. I just want to buy a good rifle. I appreciate all the input and am looking forward to seeing more.

Check ArmaLite. I really like mine, afterall, they designed it and is where the "AR" in "AR-15" comes from. Cannot go wrong.

http://www.armalite.com/

One note Armalite of today is not the Armalite of Eugene Stoner fame who created the AR15. The Armalite name was sold to Eagle firearms a long time ago. The orginal Armalite has been defunct for a long time.

Pat

MOD NOTE:

Had to do some housekeeping to remove some bickering and back and forth that really had nothing to do with the OP's question. If your post was removed it may have just been that it was tangled up in that and you did nothing specifically wrong. Or, it may have been that you were bickering, which we do not need. Please keep this topic on track.

-Larry Drake

The Moderating Team

Check out Rock River. I have an Entry Tactical with 16" barrel and two stage trigger. It eats all ammo.

I like my rock river as well, and it came with a 2-stage trigger that rivals any match trigger I've ever felt in a rifle. I put an aimpoint comp m3 on mine with an armscorp scope mount and a fold-down armscorp rear sight that also co-witnesses with the dot and the front sight. I didn't even have to adjust the zero when I first tried it. The characters in the TV show "walking dead" need to find an armory stocked with these. Zombies don't have a chance!

Edited by wgnoyes

I have well over 5000 rounds through my S&W M&P-15 Sport, and I could not be happier with it. I bought it as an entry level training gun, and it's done that several times over. It's been used at several 500rd/day classes, including a week at Blackwater/USTC I think I've had only one malfunction (user error) with it the entire time I've had it. I paid about $600 for it, and have not regretted it one bit.

Sure, it's not a 500 yard shooter, or a high-end competition gun, but it's great for training, SHTF, and other similar work. I would highly recommend it.

Scott

I have well over 5000 rounds through my S&W M&P-15 Sport, and I could not be happier with it. I would highly recommend it.

Scott, does yours have a terrible trigger pull? Mine does - love it except

for the damn trigger pull. :eatdrink:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I have well over 5000 rounds through my S&W M&P-15 Sport, and I could not be happier with it. I would highly recommend it.

Check out the VTAC M&P. Comes with a geissele trigger as well as a few other no nonsense upgrades. I have thousands of rounds through my BCM as well and it just goes and goes. Magpul furniture with a T1 on top. A sling and weapon mounted light are mandatory.

Ugh.... This is worse than buying an Open gun!

Now I'm looking at Colts 6720 vs 6920. Pencil barrels vs traditional. This sight is junk that sight is not. "F" front sights, on and on and on.........

At least I already bought some Pmags. eatdrink.gif

IMO, this is not a run of the mill rifle, but it does fall into the $700 range.

I see what you mean about the choices. If it were me; the Colt would bring the fastest sale and have the highest resale value, but I think PSA has the highest value/dollar.

Palmetto State Armory (PSA)

"Our M4 Carbine starts with one of our Premium chrome-lined Mil-spec steel barrels in the versatile M4 profile, mated to our forged aluminum upper, and finished off with a standard carbine hand guard, Pinned f-marked front sight post and A2 Flash hider. The forged lower is built with our 6 position Mil-spec size buffer tube and stock, Standard PSA lower parts kit with A2 pistol grip and aluminum trigger guard. The rifle is topped off with a Magpul rear back up sight. It comes with one 30 Round D&H Magazine (where allowed by law) so all you have to provide is the ammo to start having fun.

Barrel: 16" chrome-lined mil-spec chrome moly vanadium barrel, chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine gas system. M4 style profile is phosphate coated to mil-specs, and is High Pressure tested, and Magnetic Particle inspected, to ensure quality and dependability. Barrel is finished off with a standard carbine hand guard, pinned f-marked front sight post, rear Magpul Back Up Sight, and A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

Bolt: Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, and MPI. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside, chrome lined inside.

Lower: These forged lowers are quality made using 7075-T6 aluminum and are marked "MULTI" for caliber. Finish is Black Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2. Mil-spec sized buffer tube is forged of 7075 aluminum, is dry film lube coated on the inside, has 6 adjustment positions, is finished with a MOE stock and has a staked castle nut. Standard carbine buffer is Black anodized and has the PSA logo on the face."

The pieces I have seen from them are of very good quality, but moderate price, a good combination. I might have to grab one before the panic buying sets in again.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

It's certainly not great, but I'd compare it to any other standard Mil-Spec trigger. With most of the kind of shooting I do with that gun, I don't really notice it that much. But don't get me wrong, I would love to upgrade the trigger in it.

I would say to make sure you get a lightweight barrel and midlength gas system. I would not pay more for a brand name. I prefer 1 in 7 or 1 in 8, but even 1 in 9 is fine as long as you don't want to shoot the heaviest bullets.

Ya, like everything on the PSA except the carbine length gas.

Tar

When I read threads like this I often wonder if the people making recommendations have actually used the guns they recommend or are they google experts.

Edited by AKJD

When I read threads like this I often wonder if the people making recommendations have actually used the guns they recommend or are they google experts.

I think you're far less likely to find internet commandos here than you are on GlockTalk or AR15.

I think you're far less likely to find internet commandos here than you are on GlockTalk or AR15.

You got that right. I made the mistake of checking out AR15.com the other night. OH BROTHER!

This place is heaven compared to the rest of the net.

My point is that I don't recommend anything unless I have personal experience with it. I wonder if those making recommendations on these type threads have actually shot and trained with the guns they recommend. Just a thought. I agree not many posers here but the internet allows people to become experts quickly.