Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best aftermarket guide rod setup

Fabzz613

I'm using the GlockWorx Zev Tech SS extended guiderod in my Glock 17L w/Zev Tech Red-14lb. recoil spring.

Just shot the Glock today at a match and it works great!! biggrin.gif

Oh..I am shooting in the "Limited" category.

Edited by Rolex40

you wont find a standard answer for this question. We all have different set ups that we like to use, and different set ups for certain types of matches. My set ups are as follows.

Open-13# flat wire for major, 11# for steel minor

Everything else- 13# with a coil taken out.

What effect will cutting a coil or two off have?

I cut coils off on my Open gun. 11lb recoil spring with 3 coils cut off. I did that so I could find the right tension. I could have bought a lighter one but it was cheaper cutting down what I already had.

What effect will cutting a coil or two off have?

I cut coils off on my Open gun. 11lb recoil spring with 3 coils cut off. I did that so I could find the right tension. I could have bought a lighter one but it was cheaper cutting down what I already had.

What he said. It really depends on the load you're running and how you shoot. I wanted around a 12# ish spring and I had a ton of 13-15#'s on hand and just started experimenting.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the ZEV long stainless steel guide rod from Glockworx. It weights 1oz and is uncaptured. It is longer than normal and works with G34, G35, 17L and G22. The added length adds weight and also makes easier to assemble with uncaptured spring. I use ISMI 13 spring.

Do we have a tungsten g/rod thats uncaptured (=longer), uses round wire springs (=larger dia) for glocks? This should be the better way if the purpose is to add weight. So far I have only seen tungsten g.rod thats captured and uses flat wire springs (=shorter+smaller dia=lighter weight).

ZEV/Glockworx makes a Tungsten FLGR, but the one that I had in my G34 cracked and broke in two after 2 matches. Thankfully, no damage to my gun, but that pretty much made me against Tungsten. the extra 3 oz's I'd get isnt worth dealing with the brittleness....and it gets worse at high temps.

BT guide rods. They are captured, will not come apart and look like the stock rod. They are pricey if you get the tool to take them apart. Another way to go is take the stock rod apart and put the spring you want on it. To do this lock your slide back take pair of pliers and pull off the the end plug change springs then reverse.

I use a captured Zev/Glockworx tungsten guide rod with a 13 lb ISMI spring in my G34 without a problem. I am not sure how much of a difference there will be between SS and tungsten. I prefer captured guide rods for easy assembly/removal and I don't plan on changing springs that often to warrant an uncaptured guide rod.

You will find a lot of different opinions on this and they're all right! :D

It all depends on how you shoot the pistol with a factory guide rod and spring.

I prefer the Gen4 type guide rod with a 'two stage' guide rod. I have noticed, roughly, a 10 - 15% reduction in felt recoil with the use of a 'two stage' guide rod.

Just my opinion.

You will find a lot of different opinions on this and they're all right! :D

It all depends on how you shoot the pistol with a factory guide rod and spring.

I prefer the Gen4 type guide rod with a 'two stage' guide rod. I have noticed, roughly, a 10 - 15% reduction in felt recoil with the use of a 'two stage' guide rod.

Just my opinion.

+1. I'm preferring the Gen 4's over the Gen 3 guide rod system.

• 3 weeks later...