gmg

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you guys think?

I got either brave or reckless and started cutting away. I am really happy with the results but obviously I still have the typical grip reduction work to go. I am planning on knocking down the front of the grip and trying out a 20 LPI checker on the rear.

That's the exact dust cover cut i wanted, but never got brave enough to do, before I sold my TS. I think it looks awesome! How does it effect the balance? The full dust cover always made the gun feel very nose heavy.

I'm very impressed! What did you use as a guide to keep the lines straight?

I started out getting a basic idea of where the first line should be using zip ties but overall I just got over it so I could keep a good angle with my eyes and I focused on smooth, straight strokes with the file. The first lines are the most important as I just moved the file gown the grip in half-file increments to continue the pattern. I started at the top with my horizontal cuts and once I had those roughly where I wanted I started I eyeballed the vertical lines while standing over the mount and went slow. For the vertical lines I initially started in the middle and moved down. The hardest part by far was the last half inch of vertical lines at the top since it would be very easy to cut too high. huskerlrrp's zip tie method really helped to avoid unwanted marks above the checkering area. Including a picture of the start and a closer look at the finished product. It isn't perfect but for my purposes it will work well and given that it was my first time doing anything like this I feel good about the work overall.

EngineerEli, I definitely think it improves the feel but it could use a bit more. I hope the grip reduction takes some noticeable weight out of the grip and I would love to try some slide lightening in the future.

wow that checkering looks great, how long did it end up taking?

Three or four hours including the removal of the cast checkering.

*edit: I just remembered that I had taken the cast stuff off the day before so make that 4 to 5 hours of total time.

Edited by alma

*edit: I just remembered that I had taken the cast stuff off the day before so make that 4 to 5 hours of total time.

total fun time

That's probably pretty good time and the results look good.

Posting this last one and then I will stop hijacking the thread.

Got some initial grip tape on the front and put in the FO front sight. I was planning on Cerakote and still might in the future but for now I think I kind of like the looks of the unfinished, roughed up frame.

I may go back later and cut the backstrap and trigger guard a bit higher anyway.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/W9MqNO_gnBl_bwBmpiXxojYfAWp0I98FqR4BqKwuI8jUle2sF3lrgu8g_37bEYkOBHYFPlpOEEA

I´m still fighting with the grip of mine, didn´t find the right config. yet.

I have the same alu grips like alma has and taped them with ordinary skatebord tape, but can´t hold the bammy straight.

It always turns, just a little, in my hand, so that I have to fix my grip new after every shot.

:blush:

The grip doesn´t fit my hand full, so there is always some space at both sides (grip to slim).

I´v ordered now the original rubber grips of the Shadow, ugly somehow, but rounder and wider.

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

It has become apparent that I'm not as good at picture taking as others on here. The color in these is about right though. Once I decide between aluminum grips and tape or VZs it'll be finished.

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I'm going to checker the back in 30 lpi also.

Here are a couple of pics of the process, I machined a couple of guide plates to keep the file centered on the front strap. Due to the upsweep at the bottom of the front strap all of the vertical cutting must be done with the front row of teeth on the file, these wear out pretty fast so I would clamp the end of the file in the vice and break a small part off exposing a fresh row of teeth. Had to buy a second file to finish the horizontal lines.

post-50115-0-25544600-1392835461_thumb.j

post-50115-0-69036000-1392835486_thumb.j

post-50115-0-80811800-1392835590_thumb.j

post-50115-0-21844000-1392835697_thumb.j