Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

favorite 124 gr production load

Jody Waring

Can you guys recommend me a load using MG's and N320? I would like to stay ~135pf to have some extra room. I keep seeing 3.8-4.2gr. What PF are you guys getting and at what OAL? Shooting a 5" 1911.

PF 125-130

4.2-3g N320 under MG 124g

3.6g under MG 147g

3.8 N320 under Berries or BB 124g

3.5 N320 under Berries or BB 147g

1.130 CMJ Mp 9 Pro, Sigg P226, HK, FHN

1.100 JHP OAL

1.40 Sigg 226 OAL

If your looking for the softest try Solo under 147g.

Edited by Trident

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use 4.2gr of N320 behind a 124 gr. Precision Delta. VERY soft shooting and easily makes power factor for Production.

May i ask what is your OAL on the above load ? i just ordered 2M - 124gr JHP Precision Delta and want to work up a load..

124gr MG CMJ

4.4gr Universal

1.130 oal

Fed spp

avg 1062fps PF 131

This load feels smoother than the 4.0gr Titegroup load out of my Beretta 92A1.

That's basically the same load I've shot thousands of. It's softer shooting than factory 115gr ammo, but if you move to a 147gr bullet and reduce the charge to about 3.4gr, it gets unbelievably soft shooting.

if the "dirty smokey" titegroup bothers you (i dont get that) try Fed small pistol magnum primers, cleans it up

I ran some Titegroup with 124gr JHPs this weekend and was surprised at the lack of smoke. I'm used to running TG with lead bullets, now that gives you a smoke cloud.

I was running 4.0gr of TG with a Precision Delta 124gr JHP, OAL 1.125" with Win SPP. Happy to say this load was functioning and making minor from a stock G17 and G19.

Please post your results. I've been using Win231 for the last year and recently got some N320 to play with, but I haven't tested any. Chances are I'll be switching to HP-38 (same as Win231). I have some and will test it as well, but since it's the same, I'm pretty confident in how it will perform.

With a 124 gr PD JHP try:

4.8 Gr N340 @ 1.085" OAL

or

5.0 gr N340 @ 1.120" OAL if your gun can handle the long OAL

Shoots fairly soft with excellent accuracy (1.3" - 1.5" 10-rd groups @ 25 yards supported from a Glock 17 with a Jarvis barrel)

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, here is some chrono data I just ran with N340 out of a M&P Fullsize (4.25" bbl) using PD 124 grain bullets.

N340-9mm.jpg

For comparison, I also ran a load of N320 with 4.4 grains at 1.125 OAL and got an average 1060 fps with ES of 22 and SD of 6.

I don't see any pressure signs on this load at all, and have considered moving up to 4.5 grains...

Just loaded 2500 rounds of TG so I guess I will stick with it for a while. I have not noticed the snappy feel but maybe that is due to the fact that the other combinations I have tried were even snappier?

Like how long a week for me? ;')

FWIW, here is some chrono data I just ran with N340 out of a M&P Fullsize (4.25" bbl) using PD 124 grain bullets.

N340-9mm.jpg

For comparison, I also ran a load of N320 with 4.4 grains at 1.125 OAL and got an average 1060 fps with ES of 22 and SD of 6.

I don't see any pressure signs on this load at all, and have considered moving up to 4.5 grains...

Why? Thats 131 PF which should be perfect. The ES and SD are consistent with mine. Love that load.

Just shot 4000 with this same load with Berry's 124g HBRN last week.

N340-9mm.jpg

Why? Thats 131 PF which should be perfect. The ES and SD are consistent with mine. Love that load.

Just shot 4000 with this same load with Berry's 124g HBRN last week.

4000 last week? I don't have that many rounds through my gun...maybe I should practice more :mellow:

Jody, try Clays (not Universal Clays). It's quite softer. It may not measure as well as TG in your powder drop as flakes are large.

A buddy of mine says it's almost too soft (for him), he likes my Univ. Clays recipe better.

Good to see you back :)

I would be cautious with Clays, Hodgdon only lists a single load that makes major PF (barely) within SAAMI specs.