Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So Long Neil Armstrong

Too_Slow

I was at a bar this afternoon when the news hit. At first, no one really could absorb it, then the DJ put on "Rocket Man" and it started to hit people.. I tried my best but a few tears still escaped.

The world lost a really great man today.

I remember being at my grandparent's farm and walking out to look up at the moon in utter amazement knowing he was up there walking around. It was a very different time when anything seemed possible. Perfect gentleman afterwards as well. Never out making a buck on it or putting on airs. Class act all the way.

Neil Armstrong had a stellar career as a Navy pilot and test pilot, sufficient to earn him legendary status without even considering him landing and walking on the moon. He was a well respected aeronautics/aerospace engineer, to boot. He was a humble and modest man who did incredible things.

Whenever we find ourselves in "pressure" situations, we can remember his landing safely on the moon with just 20 seconds of fuel left.

Edited by GunBugBit

Neil's son Rick is a good friend of mine. I was able to meet Neil briefly at a sound-check at a gig I was doing in Cinci at Bogarts. He was a really nice and gracious man. Rick had some amazing stories of his dad.... Rick came home from school one day and his mother intercepted him at the door and told him leave his father be for a while as he "had a bad day". Turns out they were trying to practice moon landings on a "crab looking" contraption with a jet engine that would fly them into the air and they would have to try and land it like he was going to have to do on the moon. It never worked very well, and that day he had come down hard and fractured his jaw and nearly bit his tongue off!

Rick took us to a shuttle launch as the guests of "Neil"... the VIP view of the shuttle launch was something I will never forget....and Rick's comment that as amazing as the shuttle was... the Saturn Five made the Shuttle feel like a toy.

The one that sticks in my mind....is when one of the crew guys on the tour made a comment to Rick about the moon landings being faked... and Rick responding... "you really wouldn't want to say that around my dad...he may be old, but...he has no tolerance for fools and would probably deck you".

RIP Neil Armstrong...

There's this request, reported as originating from the Armstrong family: "The next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

I hope they'll forgive me if I don't wink, but instead render a most heart-felt and respectful salute.