Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vit N320 Alternative

kdhill

What is a good alternative powder to Vit N320? I went to get some yesterday at the local shop and it was up to $50/lb, I had a hard time spending $40 on it before. I have used TG before but it is just to dirty. Would like something that meters well, relatively clean burning, and fills the case. I shoot 9mm minor in production class. My current load is 124 gr MG JHP with 4.2gr N320 which gave me about a 135PF out of my XDm 5.25.

Thanks for any help

Kelly

What is a good alternative powder to Vit N320? I went to get some yesterday at the local shop and it was up to $50/lb, I had a hard time spending $40 on it before. I have used TG before but it is just to dirty. Would like something that meters well, relatively clean burning, and fills the case. I shoot 9mm minor in production class. My current load is 124 gr MG JHP with 4.2gr N320 which gave me about a 135PF out of my XDm 5.25.

Thanks for any help

Kelly

You may want to check out the prices for 320 at Powder Valley. http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ Do a group order and share the hazmat.

Later,

Chuck

Thanks for any help

Kelly

PV shows the 4lb jug of N320 at $96.70. So even if you paid the hazmat all by yourself, it still comes out to $132.64 for 4lbs ($33.16 per lb) with KS sales tax.

If you have not tried American Select in 9mm for production you should. It is very clean burning, pretty cheap and is pretty close to the same speed as N320 / TG. You can also use Zip, Green Dot, WSt, 231, HP 38 and Solo 1000.

If you have not tried American Select in 9mm for production you should. It is very clean burning, pretty cheap and is pretty close to the same speed as N320 / TG. You can also use Zip, Green Dot, WSt, 231, HP 38 and Solo 1000.

I will be working up some American Select 9mm loads over the next week or so.

I have A LOT of it sitting around for my Skeet and Trap loads. Like toddrod said, Ive heard it does well in 9mm, so I figured I would give it a shot.

Seems to be very close to 320 on most burn charts.

You know Kevin...I think you should "lend" me about 50 grains or so, just so I can test that theory of yours before I dive into the expensive world known as Vihtavuori!

Edited by polizei1

What is a good alternative powder to Vit N320?

No such powder exists. Everything else is just settling.

I recommend you avoid that local gun shop in the future.

^^^ what he said, but I do like IMR SR7625. It fills the case well, soft shooting and way cleaner that TG! Titegroup is violent, dirty and I had poor accuracy at lower power factors. I use 4.6 grains of IMR SR7625 behind a Montana Gold 124 CMJ aol of 1.135 to 1.150 for different guns. Last chrono was 130.4 PF :) Nice accurate load out of my XDM and G17.

I just bought some N320 from Powder Valley this week. Don't delay if you want some as the powder is becoming hard to find. Throw on some primers and you are good to go. They will combine the haze fee. Quick shipping too!

N320 is not a "Magical perfect powder". It meters consistently, fills a 9mm case well, burns clean, seems to be accurate accross a wide PF range, appears to be temperature insensative, and most of all, chronos consistently. What more could you want out of a 9mm minor powder. PAY the extra few dollars! The cost variance per round is insignificant. But, IF All the Penny Pinchers out there want to stay away, It's ok. Better availability for the rest of us!

You know Kevin...I think you should "lend" me about 50 grains or so, just so I can test that theory of yours before I dive into the expensive world known as Vihtavuori!

I think I have a half a pound or so. I'll bring it Sunday.

N320 is not a "Magical perfect powder". It meters consistently, fills a 9mm case well, burns clean, seems to be accurate accross a wide PF range, appears to be temperature insensative, and most of all, chronos consistently. What more could you want out of a 9mm minor powder. PAY the extra few dollars! The cost variance per round is insignificant. But, IF All the Penny Pinchers out there want to stay away, It's ok. Better availability for the rest of us!

where is the like button.. Wait this aint face book.. +1 for sure