Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling to Nationals

1911Prof

I am going to Nationals this year and have never flown with my gun to a match before so I have a few questions. I have read a little on the forum about the proceedures, but I was wondering if the Las Vegas range wil let me check the zero of my dot on Wednesday somewhere in case it got jarred in transit. I also wonder about the best way to transport 600-700 rounds of 38 super. I have heard that it is too much to put n luggage and I should mail it b flat rate box. Any and all thoughts for the newb traveler would be greatly appreciated

Congrats! You will dig the Nats!

Ship your ammo! In your shooters package it mentions "American Shooters" (check the name). They are great! Ship your ammo to them with confidence. On your arrival you simply walk in and tell them who you are and they will take you straight to your package. Also, they will let you shoot your gun for free!(at least they did last year) Simply tell them you are a USPSA Nat's shooter and they will hook you up. They allowed us to table top start, draw from holsters, shoot fast (at least I feel I was fast) and all the other fun stuff. Again, check to see if things have changed but they were very supportive last year.

See ya there!

Steve :cheers:

Oh yea, American Shooters has it down to a science! They put a number on the box when they get it and have a list with names and numbers. They check the list by name and get the numbered box. Done. They had a separate room for it last year. :cheers:

American Shooters is great to deal with. Hotels in Vegas...not so much. I ship ammo to hotels for every other match I go to, other than Vegas. Last package I had shipped to the hotel was around $20.00 in surcharges. The Suncoast wasn't that bad, but I'd still rather deal with American Shooters. Plus they have an indoor range there and you can sight in no problem.

Also when you ship your ammo (I always used UPS with great success) be sure and get the tracking number, so you can confirm that it made it there safely. It's a big load off your mind when you see that someone signed for it, and it is safe and sound, waiting for you! Also be sure to put some kind of easy way to identify your box, similar to how some people mark their luggage for easy retrieval on the baggage carousel at the airport. I always use a big bright USA FLAG sticker or even one of those SPRINGFIELD ARMORY stickers we always get in our bags at check-in from other Major matches we go to, that I never know what to do with! :)

Make sure you give your ammo plenty of time to get there. I shipped ammo once and the shipping station made a mistake in the paperwork. One of the stations in transit caught the mistake and they sent it back to the originating station to correct the error. I was very concerned when I tracked the shipment. I was fortunate enough that it still arrived on time, but next time I will give myself a couple of extra days.

Last year I brought along in checked baggage 550 rounds of 180 grain 40 cal. Did not get hassled at the airport... but it sure made carrying the bag quite heavy. Not sure I would do that again.

Did stop by American Shooters last year, and impressed by their friendliness and professionalism. Will be shipping it this year.

If you put ammunition in your luggage does it have to be in a locked separate box in the suitcase? I am now thinking about the flight back, I will ship the bulk of the ammunition to American Shooters on the way, but will ship more than I need (as always) and want to bring the leftovers home in a ammunition doggie bag. A couple of hundred rounds of 38 super is kind of pricey to just leave behind.

Look on the TSA website for ammunition shipping rules. Most USA airlines default to international rules, which is what limits what you can check on an airplane (Alaska Air does not, follows US regulations). Its been awhile since I flew, but I believe TSA/US regs require that ammo be in boxes designed to carry ammunition, either commercial ammo boxes or, depending on the agent you run into, something like MTM or Dillon ammunition boxes. It doesn't have to be locked or in a seperate box (but it can't be in the locked case your firearm is in). Again, don't trust anyone here, look on the TSA site!

I think UPS also requires that the ammo be in a "ammo" box but I might be wrong about that fact but always put it in MTM boxes.

Same on the return flight. They look for loose packed ammo and another flag is leaving your carry ammo in a mag. When they stopped me the first time I flew with a carry gun I just asked to take my carry ammo to the car (hey corbon is expensive and I told them Im not gonna throw it in a trashcan) and then bought a box of carry ammo upon arrival which of course was allowed on the return in its factory box.

MTM boxes might not meet the definition of factory boxes to some people but while I have had it removed and inspected a couple times it's been allowed.

If you put ammunition in your luggage does it have to be in a locked separate box in the suitcase? I am now thinking about the flight back, I will ship the bulk of the ammunition to American Shooters on the way, but will ship more than I need (as always) and want to bring the leftovers home in a ammunition doggie bag. A couple of hundred rounds of 38 super is kind of pricey to just leave behind.

Does not have to be in a separate locked container.... But the ammo does have to be in factory or the 100 round reloader boxes. No ammo can be loose.

I had my gun and and ammo in the same brownells competition bag.

• 4 weeks later...