Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preparation?

rpcruab

Hello folks! I recently registered to shoot my first two sanctioned IDPA tournaments, (Lewistown Patriot Match and the 2012 Pennsylvania State IDPA Match), and was wondering how you folks prepared for such matches. I bought a 5.11 tactical vest and am ordering a comp-tac belt/holster/mag pouch tonight. I will be shooting ESP marksman with my Springfield XD(m) 5.25" if that matters. Any tips regarding practice/preparation up until the match dates? Are there specific drills you cover beforehand? Any tips regarding actually shooting in a larger tournament? Sorry for the "noob" questions, but alas, I am a "noob" :lol:

Time to get all Rocky Balboa, and start punching raw meat. :roflol:

For me, the main thing is to treat a big match just like a small one. Don't shoot it differently than your normally would any other match. The venue (big match atmosphere and shooting with strangers) will bump you up a notch all by its self.

When I had a big match coming up I sometimes went to the range to practice things that were making me struggle but mainly I would find and shoot as many local matches as possible. I would push myself in the local matches to find my "sweet spot" between speed and accuracy. At the big match I would focus on shooting accurately first and fast second. But try do do both. :rolleyes:

Lastly...be relaxed. Shooting all tensed up will mess with your game. Talk to the guys and gals in your squad and make new friends. Have fun and if you don't want to be disappointed, don't expect too much.

I agree that a sanctioned match is probably not the place to push yourself. Lots of local matches and serious practice with a timer will help you out immensely. Let the cards land where they may. A couple of months ago, I was shooting a match while squaded with ESP and SSP Masters and Experts. I shot CDP ( the only one in the squad), and all match long I was beating myself up saying I am shooting too slow, mainly because of all of the reloads I was having to do while watching everyone else reload once, I was reloading twice on every stage. One of the guys on my squad (thanks Chris) talked me back down and told me to stay at my pace. I continued the rest of the match and was only beaten by 1 shooter by almost 4 seconds, and the next closest shooter behind me was ~20 seconds away.

Shoot at your pace, don't buy into anyone else’s speed or hype, shoot your game and focus on that only. Enjoy the experience and the match.

For me, the main thing is to treat a big match just like a small one. Don't shoot it differently than your normally would any other match. The venue (big match atmosphere and shooting with strangers) will bump you up a notch all by its self.

When I had a big match coming up I sometimes went to the range to practice things that were making me struggle but mainly I would find and shoot as many local matches as possible. I would push myself in the local matches to find my "sweet spot" between speed and accuracy. At the big match I would focus on shooting accurately first and fast second. But try do do both. :rolleyes:

Lastly...be relaxed. Shooting all tensed up will mess with your game. Talk to the guys and gals in your squad and make new friends. Have fun and if you don't want to be disappointed, don't expect too much.

I agree that a sanctioned match is probably not the place to push yourself. Lots of local matches and serious practice with a timer will help you out immensely. Let the cards land where they may. A couple of months ago, I was shooting a match while squaded with ESP and SSP Masters and Experts. I shot CDP ( the only one in the squad), and all match long I was beating myself up saying I am shooting too slow, mainly because of all of the reloads I was having to do while watching everyone else reload once, I was reloading twice on every stage. One of the guys on my squad (thanks Chris) talked me back down and told me to stay at my pace. I continued the rest of the match and was only beaten by 1 shooter by almost 4 seconds, and the next closest shooter behind me was ~20 seconds away.

Shoot at your pace, don't buy into anyone else’s speed or hype, shoot your game and focus on that only. Enjoy the experience and the match.

Thanks for the advice, folks! :cheers:

I am currently shooting at least one local match per week, and am thankful for that opportunity.

Now I just have to relax and have fun! :D

My advice is also, whatever your practice speed, shoot 90-95% of that ability and you will do fine. IDPA is not necessarily a game of pure speed, but who can get ZEROS in the least amount of time. Back off a hair, get your hits and you will do just fine. Do not beat yourself buy hitting NT's, getting procedurals, etc. But no matter what, always shoot your game!!

For practice, always practice at 110% and shoot matches at 90-95%. Set up drills/scenarios that are way more difficult than what you will see at a match. Makes the matches look easy. That method always helped me improve.

(Your welcome Mike :cheers: )

Edited by ckeller

While I normally push hard in practice for development, a week or two before a major match, I ease off and spend more time finding my match pace. You're not going to learn or ingrain anything new right before a big match, ie: cramming for an exam. If you've been diligent with your training the months before the major match, then all you need to do is to shoot to your current ability. Other people might beat you, but don't beat yourself by trying to shoot beyond what your capabilities are.

Review the rule book prior to the match. The SOs will expect you to know the rules. You should know the difference between tactical priority and tactical sequence. You should know the rules of tactical priority when you are at cover and when you are in the open. Don't be surprised if the SO's are more strict with cover calls than at your regular club matches. Don't do an individual walk through or air gun.

Thank the SO's when you leave their stage -- they are volunteering for the entire weekend.

Edited by M1911

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of non-shooting suggestions...

• Get to the match a little early
  • Make sure you have had a good night's sleep
  • Eat a good breakfast
  • Keep a positive mindset
  • Listen carefully to each SO...they may offer interpretations that could be very usefule during the stage brief
  • Stay Hydrated
  • Meet the shooters in your squad
  • Enjoy the match!!

WOW! Just came back to this thread and saw all the replies. Sorry I didn't respond, I just forgot about the thread and remembered to check now. Valuable tips! :)

Thank you for the advice everyone, I appreciate it! :cheers:

• Get to the match a little early - about 45 mins to 1 hr will suffice.
  • Eat a good breakfast - Not panckes or anything greasy or heavy.
  • Listen carefully to each SO...they may offer interpretations that could be very usefule during the stage brief
  • Stay Hydrated - So true, I drank 18x500ml bottles of water plus 3 or 4 Gaterades and I was still dehydrated at a match I was working at.
  • Enjoy the match!! - You will.

I'll see you at the Patriot, I'm working.

• Get to the match a little early
  • Eat a good breakfast
  • Stay Hydrated
  • Enjoy the match!!

Great advice especially about listening to the SO's.

• Get to the match a little early - about 45 mins to 1 hr will suffice.
  • Eat a good breakfast - Not panckes or anything greasy or heavy.
  • Stay Hydrated - So true, I drank 18x500ml bottles of water plus 3 or 4 Gaterades and I was still dehydrated at a match I was working at.
  • Enjoy the match!! - You will.

I'll see you at the Patriot, I'm working.

I too will be at the liberty match. Shoot a sanctioned match just like you shoot local matches. Make sure your equipment is all legal and that your ammo should make power factor. Know the rules and have fun.

See you folks there!