Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Razor 1-6 HD Gen II

AlamoShooter

Got It today! Its great to have friends. As I understand it the first main shipment should hit in just a few more weeks.

Its Clear! and the field of view is huge. the eye box looks like a big screen TV!

The Glass is very clear and could pass off as an 8X scope easy. The center lights up very bight and the rest of the reticle stays black.

Sight in for the Ballistic drops is at 200 yards = I like a 200 yard sight in= . It has drops down to 600 yards at 6X

the first is 300 at 7.5" the next one is 23.5" for 400 yards , the third is 500 yards at 50" and 600 is 92" of drop.

I will get some photos up this weekend of the reticle on daylight targets.

I will end up making a cheat sheet for 3X setting As IN If we wanted to set the scope at 3X for several 100 to targets and just one target at 300 yards we could just use the 400yard bar to hit our 300 yard target giving us 11" of hold over. the math would be at 3x each mark is 1/2 the 6x measurement.

Did I say this scope is clear. I am going to have to compare it to my first gen Razor 6-20 at 6x to see if this new one is more clear.

I will run it out at close targets and 550 yard steel this weekend. looking for my 500 yard head shot

I have noticed its hard to keep from touching it. :blush:

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eye box is pulling a magic trick. looking at my TV that is 4 feet wide and 4 yards from my chair. the new 1-6 Gen II takes in the the entire 48". my old faithful 1-4 Razor takes in 38" of the screen at 4 yards.

I am very happy with my 1-4 Razor , but this field of view with the new 1-6 just amazing at the sharpness all the way to edges.

did a quicky photo holding the scope in my left hand and the camera in my right. Eaton is running for Gold in his last race.

The red dot is on looking at the TV screen you can still see it.

Photos of a TV never do come out real good but through the scope , I think it looks Ok

1-6razor001.jpg

Edited by AlamoShooter

I'm going to be checking this thread a lot. Can you post more pictures of the scope?

The Vortex web site has some photos and a short Video http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/razor_hd_gen_II_riflescopes

I worked the scope just a bit today and it was Silly sweet. The field of view is just so big. Just hand holding it unmounted on a gun and looking at cars and trucks over 1000 yards away revealed some crazy detail.

I'm going to be checking this thread a lot. Can you post more pictures of the scope?

The Vortex web site has some photos and a short Video http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/razor_hd_gen_II_riflescopes

I worked the scope just a bit today and it was Silly sweet. The field of view is just so big. Just hand holding it unmounted on a gun and looking at cars and trucks over 1000 yards away revealed some crazy detail.

git yer but to the range and tell us what that reticle does...hurry, i have cash to blow!

The projection on cost is close to $1,800 =they hope, its supposed to whey in at 18 oz just under the 20 that the 1-4 is at

But my hands said it was more not less than the 1-4, and my scale with each scope in a AD mount has my 1-4 at 26 Oz and the 1-6 at 29Oz. The 1-6 has the feel of something deadly strong.

Butch if you don't call Ken at Nordic and order one in the next day , ....I bet a person will have to end up on a wait list.

This new 1-6 is like Ice on a hot day, no way to describe how refreshing it is the eyes.

I don't mind the work that goes into the reticle with the 1-4 Razor, its a reticle that takes some work to learn and love.

The Reticle that Jerry designed for this 1-6 is fast like Jerry and even a Zombie could learn how to use it in seconds.

Lite it up and its going to burn every thing under 100 yards = Turn off the lite for longer shots and the detail on the targets is going to spoil every one.

The projection on cost is close to $1,800 =they hope, its supposed to whey in at 18 oz just under the 20 that the 1-4 is at

But my hands said it was more not less than the 1-4, and my scale with each scope in a AD mount has my 1-4 at 26 Oz and the 1-6 at 29Oz. The 1-6 has the feel of something deadly strong.

Butch if you don't call Ken at Nordic and order one in the next day , ....I bet a person will have to end up on a wait list.

This new 1-6 is like Ice on a hot day, no way to describe how refreshing it is the eyes.

I don't mind the work that goes into the reticle with the 1-4 Razor, its a reticle that takes some work to learn and love.

The Reticle that Jerry designed for this 1-6 is fast like Jerry and even a Zombie could learn how to use it in seconds.

Lite it up and its going to burn every thing under 100 yards = Turn off the lite for longer shots and the detail on the targets is going to spoil every one.

Sh$t dude, that's a real review...I want to know if the reticle subtension is reasonable. Take it out to 400+ and let us know wtf is happening. Tell me it's embarassing the swaro. Tell me to off-load my TA11, tell me I am an idiot for not ordering one months ago, tell me I shoulda stayed in the marines when I got out in 1974!

OK OK sorry MR Outer Limits

The Range time got pushed to late in the day, but I got a good start with it. I will work over the photos and post some.

The eye relief / eye box view is so good that taking photos through the scope is not too hard. I have some on targets at 150 250 350 and 500 - 560 yards

The Bullet drop with a 200 yard sight in works great at 300&4oo yards at 500 yards my bullet strikes under the bar by about 1min or 5" at 560 yards the bullet hits 1/2 way between the 500&600 mark I put the 600 bar at the base of a 18"X24 and the bullet hit in the center.

I can see the bullet strikes very easy when they hit the steel. a few misses in the after noon light were not so easy to call.

The red dot center on close targets is bright like a C-More = Iset three IPSC target at 12 yards from the gun and spaced them 4 2 yards left and right of cents to give 8 4 yards center to center on the outside target only 12 yards from the scope and all the targets show up good =even in the photo with the camera held behind the scope.

The has marks for 300 -400 -500 yards look to be 10" wide fitting an MGM flash target perfectly, or just over 1/2 an IPSC target.

This scope will give the shooter a big head start on longer targets, allowing the shooter to call their own strike or miss. saving time on the clock.

Edited by AlamoShooter

OK I have a few photos VortexRazor1-6Aug-2012003.jpg

The steel is at 160 yards - the scope is set at 6X , if you enlarge the photo more details come out.

For all the photos I just held the camera behind the scope, so some times the camera and the scope did not line up very good.

VortexRazor1-6Aug-2012006.jpg

I have some photos loading all the way out to 500 yards, this 12 yard photo with paper targets set 4 yards apart center to center. the red dot is on at 9 powerVortexRazor1-6Aug-2012033.jpg

this was late in the day and the camera over exsposed the shot, so the red dot is blead out.

Edited by AlamoShooter

and now 500 and 400 yard tables.

in this 500 yard photo the 18X24 Steel challeng gong on the left side of the photo is at 560 yards the steel IPSC targets are at 500 VortexRazor1-6Aug-2012029.jpg

The 400 yard shot has two hits on it (just right of center) I did a before photo but I moved the camera too much.

Hand helf camer shots from behinde the scope

VortexRazor1-6Aug-2012027.jpg

This is the set-up shot on the 12 yard targets

VortexRazor1-6Aug-2012032.jpg

My eye is 5" back from the scope -its 20% farther than my 1-4 , not having the eye rite up on the lense provides some great vision benifits to the sides.

VortexRazor1-6Aug-2012020.jpg

Lots of things to love about this scope, I don't like the reticle as much as the 1-4 EBR Razor though.

I can see that this reticle is much faster to learn , and fewer ways to mis step on a distance mark.

The Bright red dot is a No Brainer on any thing inside 100 yards.

VortexRazor1-6Aug-2012003.jpg

Well, this pretty much settles it. I have a Burris Tac30 that I am quite happy with, but have been waiting for some hands on reviews of this bad boy for an upgrade.

I am a huge fan of Vortex, and now I am $1400 bucks poorer...

OK OK sorry MR Outer Limits

The Range time got pushed to late in the day, but I got a good start with it. I will work over the photos and post some.

The eye relief / eye box view is so good that taking photos through the scope is not too hard. I have some on targets at 150 250 350 and 500 - 560 yards

The Bullet drop with a 200 yard sight in works great at 300&4oo yards at 500 yards my bullet strikes under the bar by about 1min or 5" at 560 yards the bullet hits 1/2 way between the 500&600 mark I put the 600 bar at the base of a 18"X24 and the bullet hit in the center.

I can see the bullet strikes very easy when they hit the steel. a few misses in the after noon light were not so easy to call.

The red dot center on close targets is bright like a C-More = Iset three IPSC target at 12 yards from the gun and spaced them 4 yard left and right of cents to give 8 yards center to center on the outside target only 12 yards from the scope and all the targets show up good =even in the photo with the camera held behind the scope.

The has marks for 300 -400 -500 yards look to be 10" wide fitting an MGM flash target perfectly, or just over 1/2 an IPSC target.

This scope will give the shooter a big head start on longer targets, allowing the shooter to call their own strike or miss. saving time on the clock.

Just for comparison, what was the load data on yer tests?

You said that you were going to have to do math if you were going to use 3 power for a longer shot earlier..... Isn't it a FFP scope meaning the subtentions would remain constant no matter what magnification was used.......ala no math required.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

You said that you were going to have to do math if you were going to use 3 power for a longer shot earlier..... Isn't it a FFP scope meaning the subtentions would remain constant no matter what magnification was used.......ala no math required.

This scope is Second Focal Plain. so the reticle changes in size as the scope zooms. Foc instance the 400 yard bar at 6X is 5.6 MOA down If we set the scope to 3X the 400 yard Bar would only be 2.8 MOA down

I did not have much time at the range yesterday, I only did about 1/2 what I wanted to do. But I am 90% sold on this scope , my 10% reservation is that I like the old EBR reticle in the 1-4 FFP so much more. with the reticle getting smaller in the SFP 1-6 I fined the 500 and 600 bar not as fast to fined. The thing that balances that is that it will not cover as much of the target area as the old reticle.

The load I used past 300 yards was 69gr Sierra with 24.5 Varget at 2,750FPS = I will bump up my load a bit, but having the bullets hit just under the bar at 500 yards was not distracting at all. It was cool to see the marks on the steel with -Lots- of feed-back through the scope.

If a shooter spends the Dime to get a great upper like the JP this scope is a perfect match. Funny how my sight in groups shrunk after mounting this.

I forgot, when I was doing my sight-in at 200 yards on paper, after the third shot I could see my group develop. the other thing that was kinda cool was doing a bore sighting at home when I mounted the scope and going strait to a 160 target for my first shot hitting the center of a steel gong. I never had bore sighting get so close.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Couple of questions for those who have used both this and the swaro z6i.

What do you do to account for wind using this recticle vs. the recticle on the swaro that has a mini tree like effect?

Is this scope 90% of the quality of the swaro?

This scope is Second Focal Plain. so the reticle changes in size as the scope zooms. Foc instance the 400 yard bar at 6X is 5.6 MOA down If we set the scope to 3X the 400 yard Bar would only be 2.8 MOA down

I did not have much time at the range yesterday, I only did about 1/2 what I wanted to do. But I am 90% sold on this scope , my 10% reservation is that I like the old EBR reticle in the 1-4 FFP so much more. with the reticle getting smaller in the SFP 1-6 I fined the 500 and 600 bar not as fast to fined. The thing that balances that is that it will not cover as much of the target area as the old reticle.

The load I used past 300 yards was 69gr Sierra with 24.5 Varget at 2,750FPS = I will bump up my load a bit, but having the bullets hit just under the bar at 500 yards was not distracting at all. It was cool to see the marks on the steel with -Lots- of feed-back through the scope.

If a shooter spends the Dime to get a great upper like the JP this scope is a perfect match. Funny how my sight in groups shrunk after mounting this.

I forgot, when I was doing my sight-in at 200 yards on paper, after the third shot I could see my group develop. the other thing that was kinda cool was doing a bore sighting at home when I mounted the scope and going strait to a 160 target for my first shot hitting the center of a steel gong. I never had bore sighting get so close.

For some reason I was thinking it was a FFP scope.

Finding the holds shouldn't be too hard.

If the reticle changes when going from 1 to 6 it is a FFP scope.

Jamie, on the other SFP Vortex scopes the power ring is only marked for the double value of the reticle i.e. on my 2.5-10 I only have Magnification markings for 10x, 5x, 3.3x, and 2.5x Because it works out that you can increase the BDC hashes from times x1, x2, x3, x4 depending on power. My question is since the 1-6x is SFP, do we only get Magnification markings for 6x,3x, 1.5x, and 1x or do we get a liner number of markings for magnification from 1 to 6?

Jamie, on the other SFP Vortex scopes the power ring is only marked for the double value of the reticle i.e. on my 2.5-10 I only have Magnification markings for 10x, 5x, 3.3x, and 2.5x Because it works out that you can increase the BDC hashes from times x1, x2, x3, x4 depending on power. My question is since the 1-6x is SFP, do we only get Magnification markings for 6x,3x, 1.5x, and 1x or do we get a liner number of markings for magnification from 1 to 6?

I am not familiar with the 2.5-10 scope your talking about. But no extra information is in the Razor 1-6 reticle.

A person would know that at 3X the range bars would be twice as big as the MOA size at 6X. Also the 400 bar that is 5.6 MOA below the 100-200 yards center bar would now be twice that at 11.2 MOA below the 100-200 bar.

A Graff of the 1-6 is not on line yet but it's just a mater of basic math

shooting at 500 + yards With the 3-6 mph variable cross wind yesterday that came in at a 7 to 10 O'Clock angel = I just held the 500 bar to the left side of my 10" targets.

If the reticle changes when going from 1 to 6 it is a FFP scope.

NO thats how it -Appears- But in a FFP scope the reticle stays the same size at every power setting , But it looks like it gets bigger at a higher power setting. in a FFP scope a bar that is 10 MOA below the center is still 10 MOA at 1 power or 6 power. = it does look different though

Edited by AlamoShooter

• 2 weeks later...

The scope was great for its very first match at the Pro Am. I shot two of the rifle stages rite up to my full potential with this scope even though it was my first match of any kind to shoot it in.

Comparing it side to side to my Buddies SwarO makes me very happy with my Razor.

Of all the people that looked over and through the scope = I do not remember any thing but complements.

A few of the Military shooters wanted to seek it with a Mill Dot reticle option.

several experienced shooters wanted a "wind Value" reference for 500 and 600 yards.

60% of the dedicated SwarO shooters wanted a bigger center red dot to make it more like the SwarO. = 40% of the swarO shooters liked that it had a center red dot smaller than the SwarO.

several of the SwarO shooters liked that you had the option of shooting with the wind-age and elevation knobs uncovered.

100% likes on the Price for Value -98% likes on the Warranty the 2% thought they would never could never break it.

Only the biggest guys to handle it are the two that thought that it might be heavy :mellow:

More than a few times guys were going for their wallet to make cash offers.

The biggest challenge was to find distance that would show off the glass with the trees closing in on us on many stages. At the end of the match I removed the scope from my gun so we could glass cars and trucks out on Highway 65 - one or two miles away.

I think more than a few guys wanted a shoot off to take my place on the Vortex Team ;)

Edited by AlamoShooter