Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris Tac30 or Nikon M223

jr. 3 gunner

So I've been looking at what scope to get once I have my AR and have come down to the two in the title. My question for you is what one would you guys recommend? I like the BDC reticle in the Nikon, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Burris too. If there is another in the same price range (300-350) that you think is better please post that as well.

Thanks

burris tac 30, i shoot an mtac and absolutely love it. great reticle and great glass for the price. also you get illumination. i would say all around a better scope. also i believe the m223 has target turrets which tend to get knocked out of zero during three gun.

I like the illumination control, not that I use it. The adjustment knobs are better. The power adjustment ring is better too, it doesn't move the entire bell housing. The glass is supposedly better too, I don't know that I can tell, but its good.

I also run an XTR. If i shot more under 350 yds I would have gone with the MTAC. We shoot alot out to 5-600 and the reticle in the XTR is better for that, IMO. MTAC or Tac30 are also 30mm tube vs Nikons 1"

Just because they are in the same price point doesnt mean these two optics are in the same leagues. I had an M223 and my buddy has a Mtac. The Mtac is a much better optic! Its illuminated and the glass is much better in my opinion. I would never consider another m223, it was just too dark.

burris tac 30, i shoot an mtac and absolutely love it. great reticle and great glass for the price. also you get illumination. i would say all around a better scope. also i believe the m223 has target turrets which tend to get knocked out of zero during three gun.

I've got a M223 BDC and yes the Turrets locks can get bumped and move your settings. I got severely burned at a major 3 gun match last year. My solution consisted of using small plastic radiator clamps to block the Turret locks so they can't be bumped. It cost me almost 50 cents lol. Other than that the scope is really good and clear. Of course if I had LOTS of money I buy a higher end Leupold scope... but I'm married and like to stay that way. :blink:

• 2 months later...

Good information guys, I am looking at both of these as well and from this thread have decided to go MTAC! I was wondering about the open circles in the Nikon m-223 BDC and it sounded great but I like to get opinions from people that have used both products and I found it here.

Thanks, ordering mine ASAP!

I've got a M223 BDC and yes the Turrets locks can get bumped and move your settings. I got severely burned at a major 3 gun match last year. My solution consisted of using small plastic radiator clamps to block the Turret locks so they can't be bumped. It cost me almost 50 cents lol. Other than that the scope is really good and clear. Of course if I had LOTS of money I buy a higher end Leupold scope... but I'm married and like to stay that way. :blink:

Could you possibly post a picture of the clamps installed on the turrets? I have one of these scopes and kind of like it , with the exception of the easily moved turrets.

I will add to this also. From experience, I did not like the Nikon any where as much as the Burris. Had both at the same and found the Nikon did not hold zero right out of the box. Sent it back and sold it immediately at a big loss when it came back.

Tac 30 was OK, never used the MTAC so can not comment on that.

Best of luck.... Valhalla Armory usually has very good prices