Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shooting Sig X-5 in competition?

JGus

Just curious as to how many people are shooting the Sig P226 X-5 (any model X-5) in any type of competition?

I shoot USPSA Limited with a Sig P226 X-5 Competition model in .40s&w. Most of the people in my area are shooting Limited with an STI Edge, Para P16-40, Springfield Xdm 5.25", and the occasional Glock and M&P. A few shoot a Sig P226 in Production, but I'm the ONLY person I've ever seen shooting the X-5.

I own a few other guns that I could use in Limited competition (STI Tactical 5.0, Para P16-40, EAA Witness Elite Match, all in .40s&w), but I really prefer my X-5. Obviously I'm in the minority.

For some reason it just doesn't seem to be a very popular model with the competition shooters.

Edited by JGus

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used an X5 L1 last year but the mag issue was really holding me down, 15 vs 20. Maybe if we shot with 126mm mags...

I bought some extensions and can now hold 18 rounds. It's not 20, but it's better than 15.

The extensions fit perfectly on my 15 rd Mec-Gar mags.

you get roger shermans?

IMHO having to find some guy and message him on the sig forums shows a complete lack of followthrough and support from sig. I agree the gun shoots great and I do love it, but certain designs limit its use in my hands (Mag Capacity, trigger, barrel height, factory sights) . I keep it mainly for a backup gun now until I find another 2011. I will probably never sell it as it is a beaultiful gun, but i have had the trigger fall off at a 3gun, sent it to sig for warranty, they send it back and it seems like it is going to happen again...? Thats the adjustable trigger on the L1. I think sig came so close to a huge hit here but then missed. I hear it is very popular for ipsc in europe though.

you get roger shermans?

IMHO having to find some guy and message him on the sig forums shows a complete lack of followthrough and support from sig. I agree the gun shoots great and I do love it, but certain designs limit its use in my hands (Mag Capacity, trigger, barrel height, factory sights) . I keep it mainly for a backup gun now until I find another 2011. I will probably never sell it as it is a beaultiful gun, but i have had the trigger fall off at a 3gun, sent it to sig for warranty, they send it back and it seems like it is going to happen again...? Thats the adjustable trigger on the L1. I think sig came so close to a huge hit here but then missed. I hear it is very popular for ipsc in europe though.

Yes, got the Roger Sherman extensions. They work great.

I completely agree that Sig has really dropped the ball on offering additional accessories. I bought the extensions from Roger Sherman and an aftermarket magwell made by Danny Woodard. Both the extensions and the magwell are top notch. The quality for both is amazing. I'm just glad that Roger and Danny saw a need that needed filling and took the initiative to create their products. If it wasn't for them I'd probably be shooting my STI Tactical 5.0 in competition rather than my Sig X-5. Danny and Rogers products have allowed me to be competitive with my X-5.

Sig really should contact both Roger and Danny and work out some kind of co-marketing, co-production deal. I don't think a lot of Sig X-5 owners are aware of these extensions and after market magwell are available.

It puzzles me too, why a manufacturer would make a competition gun, but than not offer the many competition upgrades that other manufacturers offer?

Edited by JGus

You are not the only one shooting an X-5. I compete at least twice a month in USPSA with an X-5 L1 in 9mm. Obviously shooting minor.. but I am ok with that since I am loading for 3 in the family at about 1,500 a week and minor keeps the cost down. I know I will probably not win Limited.. however I am still doing pretty darn good. I use Roger Sherman's basepads which give me 23 + 1 on an X-5 magazine. Also I have one of Mr. Woodward's magwells.. which by the way are fantastic and give you a complete unit.. versus the abbreviated one on the stock gun. Took of the Nils and put them in a bag and installed Hogue Extreme grips as I much prefer the extra grip over wood. Besides the Nils are tooo nice use up. Maybe someday I will just put the X-5 in a case after it is retired and at that time the Nils will look great! Oh yeah.. a fair amount of grip tape in strategic areas in order to help hang onto the heavy beast!

I started out with an All-Around.. but the desire to shoot SAO forced the change to an L1. I have about 20k rounds thru both X-5's.. with the majority thru the L1. The only round that I shoot is competition based.. no defense based loads. Montana Gold 124g JHP.. N320 and nickel brass (nickel for ease of extraction) and loaded fairly long as the barrel will support the length. If it needed it.. I would have throated it in the beginning to get the length. The pistol is wicked accurate if I do my job.

At this point I could not be happier. Now that I have said that.. the trigger will fall off.. the extractor issue raise it's ugly head and the firing pin will fall out!

You are not the only one shooting an X-5. I compete at least twice a month in USPSA with an X-5 L1 in 9mm. Obviously shooting minor.. but I am ok with that since I am loading for 3 in the family at about 1,500 a week and minor keeps the cost down. I know I will probably not win Limited.. however I am still doing pretty darn good. I use Roger Sherman's basepads which give me 23 + 1 on an X-5 magazine. Also I have one of Mr. Woodward's magwells.. which by the way are fantastic and give you a complete unit.. versus the abbreviated one on the stock gun. Took of the Nils and put them in a bag and installed Hogue Extreme grips as I much prefer the extra grip over wood. Besides the Nils are tooo nice use up. Maybe someday I will just put the X-5 in a case after it is retired and at that time the Nils will look great! Oh yeah.. a fair amount of grip tape in strategic areas in order to help hang onto the heavy beast!

I started out with an All-Around.. but the desire to shoot SAO forced the change to an L1. I have about 20k rounds thru both X-5's.. with the majority thru the L1. The only round that I shoot is competition based.. no defense based loads. Montana Gold 124g JHP.. N320 and nickel brass (nickel for ease of extraction) and loaded fairly long as the barrel will support the length. If it needed it.. I would have throated it in the beginning to get the length. The pistol is wicked accurate if I do my job.

At this point I could not be happier. Now that I have said that.. the trigger will fall off.. the extractor issue raise it's ugly head and the firing pin will fall out!

Did you have to make any adjustments to the Hogue Extreme Grips to have them fit the X-5? I've got the standard Competition model and don't have the adjustable trigger (L1 model). Also, mine came with the standard plastic Sig X-5 grips. I like them, but would like something a bit more "tacky" for gripping purposes, especially in hot weather. But I've heard "adjustments" have to be made to most other grips designed for a standard P226.

Edited by JGus

I have a Sig X-5 Allround and a USPSA Edition 226 that I shoot it Production. I would love to own a Sig X-5 L-1 but have not purchased one due to the limited magazine capacity. If the gun came from the factory with 18-19 capacity I would buy one tomorrow. I am not going to pay that for a gun and then chase somebody down and spend money for magazine extensions. My Brazos Limited gun mags hold 20 rounds (have two that hold 21 not reloadable.

I wish Sig would do something with the mags because it is a great gun.

I did not have to do anything to the Hogue Extreme grips. I just purchased the ones made for the X-5 SAO and they fit perfectly. A heck of a lot more grip than the OEM plastic versions... even more than the Nils too.

I did not have to do anything to the Hogue Extreme grips. I just purchased the ones made for the X-5 SAO and they fit perfectly. A heck of a lot more grip than the OEM plastic versions... even more than the Nils too.

Where did you order the Hogue grips for the X-5? I can find them for the standard P226 but not the X-5.

Thanks.

JGus..

Here is a link to the SAO Extreme grips for the Sig X-5. Lots of choices.. not inexpensive.. just goes with the territory. I can certainly vouch for the fit and it is perfect. Also if the checkering is not enough.. you can send the grips back to Hogue and they will add more checkering where you need it. I have attached some photos for you. In addition the magwell is Staudacher's custom piece. I have a different finish on mine.. the ones he sells are a little more neutral.

Hogue Store X5 SAO Grips

post-32741-0-45368500-1344572824_thumb.j

post-32741-0-03217900-1344572841_thumb.j

post-32741-0-79546600-1344572851_thumb.j

JGus..

Here is a link to the SAO Extreme grips for the Sig X-5. Lots of choices.. not inexpensive.. just goes with the territory. I can certainly vouch for the fit and it is perfect. Also if the checkering is not enough.. you can send the grips back to Hogue and they will add more checkering where you need it. I have attached some photos for you. In addition the magwell is Staudacher's custom piece. I have a different finish on mine.. the ones he sells are a little more neutral.

Hogue Store X5 SAO Grips

Thanks for the info on the grips. Going to place an order today.

I purchased a magwell from Staudacher. It's great! Also got the extended base pads from Roger Sherman, which are also fantastic. Now all I need to do is actually become a decent shooter :blush:.

Your X-5 looks amazing. I'd seen pic's of it when I was looking at the magwell pic's on Staudachers posts.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on Roger's Extensions! I just recently started using them on my P226 TacOps and I love them.

I love my TacOps, but I hope to shoot an X5 when I grow up... :roflol: I love them!!!

I wish SOMEONE (either Staudaucher or GGI) would make a magwell that will work on alloy-frame guns like my P226. It's SUCH a nice piece on the X5.

-Scott

+1 on Roger's Extensions! I just recently started using them on my P226 TacOps and I love them.

I love my TacOps, but I hope to shoot an X5 when I grow up... :roflol: I love them!!!

I wish SOMEONE (either Staudaucher or GGI) would make a magwell that will work on alloy-frame guns like my P226. It's SUCH a nice piece on the X5.

-Scott

The Sherman mag extensions are great. My only regret is that I went the less expensive route and ordered the extensions to only get me to 18 rd per mag, when I should have just ordered the more expensive set up to get me to over 20 per mag.

I think the difference in the two kits is the addition of the follower, right?

I'm not sure. I thought it was more involved than that.

If that is all that is necessary to get to over 20 rds in a mag I should order a few of the followers.

If you find out that is all that is necessary please let me know.

Thanks.

Since I start with the TacOps model P226, my stock magazines are 18rd Mec-Gars with the +2 rd Mec-Gar extension.

Roger told me that his extensions would be +5 with stock followers (for 23rd) and +6 with his followers (for 24rd). I decided to order only the extension, and since installing them, I'm easily able to put 22 in a magazine. I tried 23, and it seemed a little resistant, so I didn't push the matter. I think he did mention that getting the full +3 might require trimming the stock follower just a bit, now that I think about it... so it might well be my fault I didn't get the full +5 out of my extensions. Either way, if I understood him right, the follower is what gets the Mec-Gar 18rd magazines to be +6 for a total of 24rds. I didn't ask him about any other magazines specifically, so I suppose it might be slightly different for other Sig magazines.

Since I start with the TacOps model P226, my stock magazines are 18rd Mec-Gars with the +2 rd Mec-Gar extension.

Roger told me that his extensions would be +5 with stock followers (for 23rd) and +6 with his followers (for 24rd). I decided to order only the extension, and since installing them, I'm easily able to put 22 in a magazine. I tried 23, and it seemed a little resistant, so I didn't push the matter. I think he did mention that getting the full +3 might require trimming the stock follower just a bit, now that I think about it... so it might well be my fault I didn't get the full +5 out of my extensions. Either way, if I understood him right, the follower is what gets the Mec-Gar 18rd magazines to be +6 for a total of 24rds. I didn't ask him about any other magazines specifically, so I suppose it might be slightly different for other Sig magazines.

I'm also using the Mecgar mags, but I'm shooting .40s&w. I converted my 15 rd Mecgars to 18 rd with the Sherman extensions. But, I thought I read you could even get the .40s&w Mecgar 15 rd mags to 20 or more with a more costly option. But I'm just going off memory so I may have that wrong.

I shoot a X5 AR 9mm in production and I have shot my X5 Tactical 9mm in limited mainly testing magwells.

I have a X5 Competition in the works that hopefully will be able to hold its own with the STIs. I should be able to get 20 and maybe even 21 rounds of 40 in the mags however it is not a minor undertaking as it requires modification of the frame.

A couple of guys I shoot with have STI mags that hold 23!! But the mags are so expensive and easily damaged they only use them at major matches. So I think if I can run 20 or 21 in a 100% reliable mag I think my ability will be my limiting factor.

JGus..

Hogue Store X5 SAO Grips

Ausman,

Can you provide some more info on your grips. I have searched the Hogue site and am striking out.

Thanks-in-Advance

Jay

Edited by JWeber

Jay.. if you click on the link "Hogue Store X5 SAO Grips" that posted with the text.. it will take you directly to SAO X-5 Extreme grips. The link was copied over the quote you posted. I tried the link in that and it still works. Let me know if you strike out again.. but should not be a problem.

Edited by Ausman

Jay.. if you click on the link "Hogue Store X5 SAO Grips" that posted with the text.. it will take you directly to SAO X-5 Extreme grips. The link was copied over the quote you posted. I tried the link in that and it still works. Let me know if you strike out again.. but should not be a problem.

Ausman,

When I click the link I get 40 choices. I have been trying to figure which is your's from those 40. Each time I think I have found the correct one and blow up the picture it is different. I guess just call me dense.

Thanks

Jay