Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shooting Sig X-5 in competition?

JGus

I used my X5 Level 1 in 9mm for informal steel challenge shooting recently.

The pistol is reliable, but the magazine well is too small for an effective grip and the trigger has some indefinite/vague pre-travel.

Overall, I like it, but the trigger is not as good as my CZ Tactical Sport (for my needs), nor are the sights

In summary, I would rather shoot a modified glock 17l or plain CZ TS and save the money.

I will likely sell the X5 L1 soon....

Pre-travel is adjustable in the L1.. as is the position of the trigger and the weight. Just don't overdo it or it will "bind" the safety (don't ask how I know that..).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used my X5 Level 1 in 9mm for informal steel challenge shooting recently.

The pistol is reliable, but the magazine well is too small for an effective grip and the trigger has some indefinite/vague pre-travel.

Overall, I like it, but the trigger is not as good as my CZ Tactical Sport (for my needs), nor are the sights

In summary, I would rather shoot a modified glock 17l or plain CZ TS and save the money.

I will likely sell the X5 L1 soon....

Pre-travel is adjustable in the L1.. as is the position of the trigger and the weight. Just don't overdo it or it will "bind" the safety (don't ask how I know that..).

I thought the same thing when I read the post about the pre-travel on the X-5 L1, that why would that be an issue when it has an adjustable trigger and you can virtually eliminate most all of the pre-travel?

• 2 weeks later...

I used mine for the 1st time at a 3 gun event, I love the feel and of the gun but I dropped a mag on the 1st stage. Anyone have a standard mag release they would part with?

Edited by Sig Shooter

I ordered mine from Midway USA. Might want to try them for the standard sized Mag Release.

And as much as I love the extended mag release on the Competition and L1 X5's, they do tend to create a lot of dropped mags. Completely eliminated the problem when I swapped out with a standard size.

Midway is out of stock on them at the moment. Several years ago, I won a drawing from GGI for a bar stock mag release that they were working on. I don't know if they ever went into full production, as I don't currently see them on their website. But you could call them to see if they have any for sale.

• 3 months later...

i shoot x5 ar in prodution and x5 comp in limited ten and like them both.they are very nice guns but the after market stuff is limited.evey body that shoots my x5 ar loves it but say they can buy two glocks for that price.why can we not get the options to our guns like max gets.

rfoil007, if you are wanting an aftermarket magwell and extended basepads to get to 17+1 or 18+1 rds of .40s&w I can give you the info to contact Dan Woodard (magwell) or Roger Sherman (ext basepads).

rfoil007, if you are wanting an aftermarket magwell and extended basepads to get to 17+1 or 18+1 rds of .40s&w I can give you the info to contact Dan Woodard (magwell) or Roger Sherman (ext basepads).

What capacity are these extensions getting in 9mm? In USPSA I shoot production with my X5 all around and absolutely love it but I also run the gun for 3 gun and having a good capacity is key.

I used mine for the 1st time at a 3 gun event, I love the feel and of the gun but I dropped a mag on the 1st stage. Anyone have a standard mag release they would part with?

I may be willing to trade one for your extended mag release to try out.

The mag release you want if you're concerned with accidental ejections is the GGI Intermediate Mag Release. I don't think they make them anymore, which is really unfortunate, because it's the perfect compromise between being easy to get to, and not being TOO easy to get to. I have one on every Sig I own, and each one has been harder and harder to find (the last one was a used one that one of the tech's at GGI had in their misc parts box...). Hopefully Bruce will decide to make another run of them in the future, because they're perfect.

Scott

For me, the Roger Sherman basepads are either 22 or 23 rounds (9mm). I usually only load them to 22, but I think you can get 23 in there. Apparently he also makes a follower which allows an additional round in there, but I don't have those. Roger's basepads are not cheap, but they're really nice. I've been pondering epoxying a think rubber pad to the bottom of mine to help prevent damage when they hit the floor during indoor matches.

Edited by swhiteh3

• 2 months later...

All Sig 9mm mags for the 226 will work in a 9mm X5, but the lack of an extended basepad combined with the magwell on the Competition model will make seating them difficult. Not impossible, but not suitable for actual competition. The magazines you cited do not have an extended basepad. They just have a plastic-covered one. The 20-rd mags might work, but I think I have read that you need to take a little material off around the top of the Mec Gar +2 basepad to clear the magwell. Haven't tried it myself, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the New Sig 226 X-5's are starting to show up in dealer stores. They now have rails and a new look to them. Hope they worked out the issues with the adjustable triggers and ejectors. My local dealer had 2 X-5 entry (Express) models with more higher end models later. They are supposed to be a complete system and the new series are supposed to have parts/accessories more available.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a smoking hot deal on my X5 Competition this summer in 9mm. $1600 for a never shot used gun a guy had in his safe. Found it on the SIG forums.

I love it.

I friend has a tactical and had the Houge grips on it and I followed suit. I also put in a Dawson FO front sight. Love the gun. The MecGar mags in the 20 round flavor have to have the base pads shaved with a dremel slightly to fit.

I have sent a half dozen emails to the guy who supposedly makes the 24 round extensions but I have never heard back. Im still looking for a higher capacity mag since I shoot open in 3-gun.

I have seen a few places that advertise the SIG factory 25 round 9mm mags and am the notify list but still have not heard a peep.

I got a smoking hot deal on my X5 Competition this summer in 9mm. $1600 for a never shot used gun a guy had in his safe. Found it on the SIG forums.

I love it.

I friend has a tactical and had the Houge grips on it and I followed suit. I also put in a Dawson FO front sight. Love the gun. The MecGar mags in the 20 round flavor have to have the base pads shaved with a dremel slightly to fit.

I have sent a half dozen emails to the guy who supposedly makes the 24 round extensions but I have never heard back. Im still looking for a higher capacity mag since I shoot open in 3-gun.

I have seen a few places that advertise the SIG factory 25 round 9mm mags and am the notify list but still have not heard a peep.

Roger Sherman's magazine extentions are going to be produced by Apex Tactical now. http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/random-apex/apex-tactical-specialties-fall-newsletter-2013/

I love it.

Roger Sherman's magazine extentions are going to be produced by Apex Tactical now. http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/random-apex/apex-tactical-specialties-fall-newsletter-2013/

Glad to hear that they will be more readily available. Very good news. Thanks for that update.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually shoot Open but on occasion will shoot my Sig X5 L1 9mm in Limited. The trigger, at 1.5# , is a fast and delightful as any of my open or limited custom builds. If I shot limited more often this would be getting much more use.

• 2 months later...

Greetings...Thanks for all the kind words about my base pads...I'm extremely proud of them...I'm in the military and have been away for some time and I am finally able to come up for air...for those of you who have been trying to contact me, I apologize for not getting back in a timely manner...I just wasn't able to

I do still build base pads for the P226 and they increase your mags to 17 rounds of .40 and 23 in 9mm with the stock follower and my spring follower kit will increase capacity by 1 more round

once again, I am sorry to have taken so long to get back with those looking for me

Very Respectfully

Roger

prairiedawgshooter@msn.com

I was shooting an X5 Competition .40 in Limited, and eventually went to the X5 L1 .40 in Limited. For me, the X5 is absolutely the best pistol I've ever shot. I can't say enough good things about it.

However, it's biggest downfall is in magazine capacity. It's never been a big deal in local matches. But last year, when I competed in a couple very large matches with bigger, more difficult stages, the magazine round capacity really came into play. Where guys shooting Edges or Tanfoglio's (or whatever) could run a stage with no mag changes I had to do mag changes. That happened on several stages. And because I'm not a proficient at mag changes as Max Michel, it definitely had an effect on my results.

So, I've since moved to an STI Edge with mags that have 20+1 and 21+1 capacity (with very positive results). I hated to leave the X5, but I did for competition purposes. If Sig could ever figure out a way to get a 20 round mag of .40 to work in the X5 I'll go back to it.

• 1 month later...

as far as aftermarket parts, all you really need is a new front sight, staudacher's mag well, and extended mag release from Bruce Gray and base pads that will get you to 18+1 rounds of 40 and you should be pretty well set up...I think you'll love the x5...it just plain runs out of the box

good luck!