Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA newbie

Nightrod

I've been hearing ESP and other. Are they talking classification? Can i use 9mm shadow full dust or 9mm shadow short? What division I belong? Sorry for throwing lot of question. Last night I'm looking for site were I can get more info about IDPA, can't find answer to my question.

I've been hearing ESP and other. Are they talking classification? Can i use 9mm shadow full dust or 9mm shadow short? What division I belong? Sorry for throwing lot of question. Last night I'm looking for site were I can get more info about IDPA, can't find answer to my question.

You need to read the IDPA Rule Book...Look here

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

I have been shooting USPSA since 2004. I shot my first IDPA match today. It was not too bad. I had heard some horror stories but my first time out was fine.

Differences I noticed:

Targets can be penetrated by bullets. The no shoot behind it will get you a penalty.

Reloads with retention are not in my nature.

Tactical sequence and tactical priority are nothing like freestyle and they were making my head hurt on otherwise simple stuff.

Cover must be used.

I finished the day with no procedurals but it was not easy to do.

I am going back for some more.

Do your best to use cover, other than that go fast don't miss and you will be fine. IDPA rules as they pertain to the use of cover are somewhat subjective IMO.

Im shooting USPSA for about 2 years now, I'm thinking of Shooting for IDPA also. What are the major rules that I should know differs from USPSA?

You need to keep your legs behind cover, and you need to shoot to slide-lock before reloading.

You only need to shoot to slide-lock if you don't want to reload with retention. Unless the COF says otherwise, you can reload anytime but if there is a round in the chamber (even if you know your mag is empty) you have to retain it. Also if your gun is empty you cannot be out in the open. You must stay behind cover to reload. If you move to the next barricade with an empty gun, it's a penalty.

IDPA is fun, but it is designed to put you in pseudo-life situations. While USPSA as you know is a 'game'. Thus IDPA's rules are much more restrictive on gear, technique, etc.

I've found that the biggest difference is the extent to which the courses of fire are scripted. Yeah, you have to use cover, and yeah, you have to perform the appropriate reload, but IDPA is more about execution than imagination; you can rarely beat someone by coming up with a better plan, as the scenario and prodedure dictate how the stage will be shot.

... IDPA is more about execution than imagination; you can rarely beat someone by coming up with a better plan, as the scenario and prodedure dictate how the stage will be shot...

I do agree with IDPA being more about execution than imagination. But having a better plan, e.g. putting an extra round into a target to get a reload in a goo place, going wide to shoot more targets from one position you can own a stage.

In my area stage design is pretty subtle and the Master shooters are the ones that figure out the most efficient way of executing a stage.

I guess the subtlety is the reason why I like it. If you can see the "better plan" a stage becomes easy. To me it's like chess where brute force can be beaten by the better plan.

Imagination I apply to Zombie shoots! Freestyl'n on Zombie heads! :goof:

DNH

Zombie Shooter's Association #029NC

... IDPA is more about execution than imagination; you can rarely beat someone by coming up with a better plan, as the scenario and prodedure dictate how the stage will be shot...

I do agree with IDPA being more about execution than imagination. But having a better plan, e.g. putting an extra round into a target to get a reload in a goo place, going wide to shoot more targets from one position you can own a stage.

In some clubs that I shoot, such better plan staging would earn you a FTDR :roflol:

But having a better plan, e.g. putting an extra round into a target to get a reload in a goo place, going wide to shoot more targets from one position you can own a stage.

of course, there's the minor detail that that pesky IDPA rule book singles out such a "better plan" as an infraction worthy of a 20-second penalty.

Firing extra rounds so that you may reload at a more

convenient time.

of course, there's the minor detail that that pesky IDPA rule book singles out such a "better plan" as an infraction worthy of a 20-second penalty.

Not always, but in your example yes.

At a recent match (stage diagram attached) there was 3 hits mandated on each of 6 targets. It called out a mandatory head shot on each target and tactical sequence. So I shot head shots first and body shots the second time through because it would be less transitions. Perfectly legal under that stage description.

Hard Times Car-18.doc.pdf

Oooohhh! Headshots first for tactical sequence. Might try that just to start a discussion... Probably good if you have slower transitions like me! :blush:

If you think a "better plan" might get you a FTDR tell the SO what you're going to do before you try it. Especially if everyone else has been shooting the stage one way and you do it differently and run into the SO. :rolleyes: It wasn't an FTDR but had to start the stage again.

Round Dump or Make Up?

I pull the trigger one more time to make up a -1 and it just ends up getting me to slide lock faster. I would never shoot an extra round just to get to slide lock.

There's usually a target that need the extra attention. :devil:

If you want to pull the trigger more times you can unless it's limited vickers. Three ~.3 splits is almost a second which eats into the benefit of a slide lock reload instead of a reload with retention.

It would be a lot of fun hosing targets and it's not against the rules! I've seen people go through stages with 3 rounds for every target. "Shoot till you're happy" I've been told. :roflol: You're not the one pasting!

There will always be "loopholes" in rules. I'd like to discuss those further but I have a rule. Only talk about rules over beer... :cheers:

There is a rule to always follow and a technique to guarantee you'll do well...

BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN! It's never failed me. :D

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

Not always, but in your example yes.

At a recent match (stage diagram attached) there was 3 hits mandated on each of 6 targets. It called out a mandatory head shot on each target and tactical sequence. So I shot head shots first and body shots the second time through because it would be less transitions. Perfectly legal under that stage description.

I would have shot all of the shots in the head. 1-1-1-1-1-3-2-2-2-2-2

On buzzer retrieve handgun from box and

engage T1-T7 in Tactical Sequence with 3rd

each, one head shot required. Missed heads

=5pts down.

Poor course of fire directions supporting bedroll lawyers.

You could just as easily shoot the last target once in the head, the rest all in the body on the grounds that it didn't say "one head shot EACH required."

Around here it would be stated something like "On buzzer retrieve handgun from box and engage T1-T6 in Tactical Sequence with 2 rounds each, reengage with one head shot each in any order. Scored Vickers Count, best two to the body, one to the head. Missed heads = FTN.

Do your best to use cover, other than that go fast don't miss and you will be fine. IDPA rules as they pertain to the use of cover are somewhat subjective IMO.

I said that at the match I was at and I was "corrected". I was told USPSA has far more rules. I sure did not ever think of it that way. I think it will be hard to switch and forth. But I am going to try.

I switch between USPSA and IDPA every other week and have no problem at all. I think the problem is when you shoot one game much more than the other. Then switching to the less frequent one would get you into trouble.