Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what flip up sight to add for slugs?

steviesterno

Hey all,

My SX2 just has a bead on it, and I'm having trouble hitting slugs at distance. I used to have rear fiber optic beads on it, but can't seem to find them anymore. Anyway, I want to put a fold up rear sight on it or something, but was wondering what ya'll use. I tried to get a 10/22 sight out of an old barrel, and just ended up smashing it to pieces instead.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently struggling to decide on a rear sight for my M2 as well. I tried the 10/22 rear sight option, but just couldn't get it low enough to use with my front sight (and I didn't want a really tall front sight). Also, it seemed fragile. Has anyone tried a simple mid-bead? Seems that windage is more of a concern than elevation, and a small mid-bead might be enough to line up, or confirm windage.

Hey all,

My SX2 just has a bead on it, and I'm having trouble hitting slugs at distance. I used to have rear fiber optic beads on it, but can't seem to find them anymore. Anyway, I want to put a fold up rear sight on it or something, but was wondering what ya'll use. I tried to get a 10/22 sight out of an old barrel, and just ended up smashing it to pieces instead.

I don't get it.

I installed a Williams adjustable peep sight on my SG. I take out the small aperture to shoot bird shot.

I put the small aperture back in to shoot slugs.

I was told I could not do that because it was reconfiguring the gun and would be put in open class.

Where is that different than using a fold up or down leaf sight that a lot of shooters use.

That is reconfiguring your gun.

Please don't tell me it is because you are taking it off and then putting it back on.

You are reconfiguring your gun every time you change chokes!!

Hey all,

this may help

Jeff cramlit (for those who dont know him) is 1 of the best 3/gun & shotgun shooters in the world. he actually developed the flip sight thing several years ago. he put 1 on my benelli m-1 that was a ruger 10/22 and front sight form i dont know. it's on a vent rib 21" bbl. probably sell it as i cant take the hit of 2 days in a 3 gun. when i have to shoot slugs this is the best set up i ever saw. he milled out a slot and it slides right in, the rib near the reciever. i know cause i didn't use enough loctite and had to repeat it.

this thing shoots slugs into 8" for me at 100 yds but i cant take the pain with a bad back. try this, so no figuring site height, out of the brownells book

i am going back to my chip McCormick 1100 he built me.

hope this helps

jjw

Hmmmm. I put a 10-22 flip sight on my Benelli in 1995. I got the idea from John Shaw who ran one on his 1100 back in the 80s at the S.O.F. matches. Who is this Jeff Cramblit you speak of?

Perhaps my M2 just shoots really high, but I tried the 10/22 sight mounted as low as possible on the rib near the receiver, and it was still way too tall. Even shaving off the top of the sight didn't yield a proper POI. I may just have to try a different sight.

Perhaps my M2 just shoots really high, but I tried the 10/22 sight mounted as low as possible on the rib near the receiver, and it was still way too tall. Even shaving off the top of the sight didn't yield a proper POI. I may just have to try a different sight.

You need a taller front. I put a .156 spacer under my HiViz Comp front.

The M2 rib is a lower overall height than an M1, so most flip up type sights will sit too tall at the rear causing it to shoot way high. That is why we started putting in the X-S express sights.

Hmmmm. I put a 10-22 flip sight on my Benelli in 1995. I got the idea from John Shaw who ran one on his 1100 back in the 80s at the S.O.F. matches. Who is this Jeff Cramblit you speak of?

Yeah, but Jeff actually milled his in instead of using Duct tape like RNT does. Next you're going to tell me that cat tails have been around for more than 4 years also. Crazy, just crazy.

FYI, I'm using the XS sight on my Benelli. I like it. I ran the Williams receiver sight for a lot of years. I never used the small insert, whether I was shooting bird or slugs. Just ran it wide open. That sight is about as durable as a wet sheet of paper though. My two worst stages were due to that sight coming out of adjustment or just plain falling off.

Where did you get the spacer from? and did you need a longer screw?

Jeff wears funny shoes... :)

to get my 21" M1 to shoot low enough (10/22 .100" deep 1" in front of receiver) went with a HiViz Flashpoint with the next to tallest triangular light pipe... added a small plastic cable tie (you don't see it) to help secure the free end...been on the gun since the second FB3G match

Edited by Les Snyder

Where did you get the spacer from? and did you need a longer screw?

Being a machinist, I made it. The riser is screwed onto the rib, and the HiViz is screwed to the riser.