Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixing .223 ammo in 3 gun

Doc Maker

I was wondering if anyone mixes their bullet selection for the rifle stages. I usually just stick with the 55 or 62 grain, either one but the same throughout the match. Does anyone use a heavier bullet for the long stuff? How does it affect zero? I'm guessing it's negligible inside 500, as most 3 gun stages are.

I use 55 grain Wolf for the up close blasting targets and hand load 69 grain Sierra Match Kings for distance shooting. We typically only shoot to 2-300 yards at my local clubs. I zero with the Wolf and adjust hold an inch or two with the SMKs.

Lots of guys have a specific long range load and another cheaper FMJ load for close stuff. My rifle has a 300 zero for the long load but the FMJ load is very close out to 100. The improtant thing to know is where your rifle shoots from 1 foot to 75 yards for those head shots with no shoots below.

I've had bad results bringing a mixed bag of ammo, so I only roll with one load now. At least all the same weight/charge, keeps the gas system running right. I do use SMKs for long range.

69 SMK's for any stage with long range targets, and whatever is cheep for stages that are in regular bays 0-50yd. the gun is sighted in with the good stuff and I Haven't had any problems with the zero being enough off to cause problems on the closer stuff.

Mike

I used to shoot long range bullets at everything - it's an expensive match and 100 rounds right?

Now I take 2x the minimum amount of ammo - 1/2 55gr and 1/2 68-77gr.

I shoot the light stuff at the close targets and the heavy stuff at the long targets.

The gun is zeroed for the heavy stuff and I can use the heavy stuff up close if I need to (like for the falling steel at LaRue).

I pretty much just shoot 69gr Sierra Match Kings for everything. I have occasionally used 55gr M193 for matches that will be all close up, but not often. The 69gr is easily a 1MOA load out of my gun, and the 55gr is probably three times that.

I use 55 grain Federal FMJ's for everything. I make sure I know where my zero is at distance and I'm fine all day with it. Last match I was at I hit the 300 yard steel plate on the first shot.

I load 62 gr Armscor for hosing, and my short rifle shoots them as well as 68 gr Hornady BTHP, so that is all that gun uses. My long AR shoots a bit better at 300+ with the 68 gr, so I use the 68 gr for any 200 +.

IF you load yourself, you can create a load that will have nearly the same ballistic curve for 55gr and 69gr bullets out to 250yd +/- That means you can use a single 50yd zero that will work for both for short range shots. Just keep the 55gr and 69gr in two different mags (like different color PMags) so you don't mix them up.