Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you bring a replacement gun?

johniac7078

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If traveling more than 2 hours to a match, yes bring a backup gun. For USPSA, I just bring another gun that fits the same division I'll be playing in. If I really plan ahead, I bring a gun that I can cannibalize part off if needed... so a similar enough gun, but that requires taking focus off the game and effecting repairs. Just swapping to another gun that is division compatible (after asking the RM of course) I think will let you keep your mind in the game. I'm not sure how IDPA deals with gun swaps during a match.

Edited by Skydiver

I carry a back up to sanctioned matches. It is only a

Bone stock m&p so I try not to use it... The last time I went to use a back up was loans from a friend who happened to be left handed and had swapped the mag release. I noticed it when I was loading and making ready. Needless to say that was one fun shoot house.

Along with my match gun, I always have my carry gun as backup. I alternate between a G17 and MP9 for matches, but carry a G26. I leave in my trunk an extra Glock OWB holster, pouches, and extra g17 mags in case I'm using the MP9. I haven't needed to use the backup gun, but a friend broke his Glock extractor, and I pulled the one from my backup gun.

I always have an extra pistol with the same action and caliber. Usually I have a second gun that is a dedicated competition gun (for example I have a G34 and a G17 that are identically equipped). I also leave my carry gun in the truck, a G26, which in a pinch I can cannibalize if both other guns are being used (sometimes my son shoots with me and uses one of the competition guns). So in reality, I have two backup guns on hand most times.

I also keep extra holsters, eyes, ears, belts, and mag pouches in the truck for equipment failures or to loan out to other shooters.

For matches bigger than a local I often have a secondary revolver. It is not the same as my primary, but for the same division. So far I have not had to go to my secondary revolver and don't forsee it happening. Just the same I try to be prepared.

I always bring a backup gun. I've never had to use it (though I did loan it out once). My backup guns aren't exact duplicates, but they are close enough -- when shooting CDP, my primary is a Wilson 1911, my backup is a Kimber; when shooting SSR, my primary is a 66 and my backup is a 19.

I haven't in the past, but will be doing so.

At two recent state IDPA matches, I watched several guys suffer significant gun issues, including one rear sight that just broke into two pieces.

My backup won't be identical.

But I shoot ESP in IDPA and Limited in USPSA. So my backup with be an Eagle in .40 cal that can be used for either game.

I bring a back up to the bigger matches also. So far I have not needed it, but I've seen folks that had to use a back up on several occasions.

Yes I bring a backup 1911 since I have one available. I don't relish the idea of doing surgery on the safe table while sweat is dripping off my nose in the Florida Sun. :huh:

I think the "YEAS" have it. I always take a back up gun of similar action and sight set up. Even my local matches are 1 1/2 to 2 hours away. Although I've never had to use the backup, its one less thing to worry about if something were to happen to my primary weapon.

Learned a hard lesson at the Carolina Cup. Thankfully a SO took pity on me and let me borrow his 686 for two days. Came in second with a borrowed gun. Good to see you again Tom. Are you shooting the Nationals in Sept?