Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you bring a replacement gun?

johniac7078

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 M&P 40 Pros setup exactly alike that go with me whenever I travel out of town to a match. I recently acquired an EAA Elite Limited in 40 that Jim Bodkin setup for me to shoot Limited with. My second EAA Elite LImited is in the safe waiting on the parts to come in before going to Jim to setup exactly like the first. Out of town matches wiil see me bringing both guns. Lots of expense when traveling out of town to a match especially a major not to have a backup gun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had trouble a couple of times. Once when the cylinder release fell off a model 19 and once when sights fell off my glock during a training session with Manny Bragg after the Florida Open. Both times I was a long way from home. When I was at the Florida Open my home was in Alaska. Fortunately I had a back up both times. I almost always carry a spare. After remembering these episodes I will always have a spare.

I've needed back ups twice. Once when I was 150 miles from home at a club match and the cylinder release on my model 19 fell off. Another time I was thousands of miles from my home in Alaska at a training event put on by Manny Bragg after the Florida Open and the front sight fell off of my Glock 34. Both times I had a back up and was glad I did. Why spoil the fun? Bring a back up if you are able.

• 3 weeks later...

I always bring a spare pistol that takes the same ammo and mags. Thankfully I've never needed it, but my buddy had an issue with his pistol and needed to borrow my spare. The way I see it, it does not take up much space but could save a match!

Yes, not the same gun, but I bring parts for G34 and the G19 will work in a pinch. This is okay in IDPA. Not sure about USPSA.

Lee

+1 up until recently I only shot Glocks and have never had an issue. Regular maintenance will reduce most of the issues you might have. Spare springs and misc parts might not be a bad idea. So far my STI Edge hasnt let me down either. Like someone else stated there is usually always a spare gun around but never needed it.

My SS went down during this month's match at the local club. I borrowed a fellow competitors 1911 to finish up the last 3 stages.

This incident further instilled in my mind that 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I have a backup for my g34, a g17 that is set up very similarly.

My future firearms purchases will be to duplicate or triplicate my current firearms. I've also been setting aside an amount to pick up repair kits, springs and pins and all that good stuff that is easy to replace on the range.