Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Holster for IDPA

Sac Law Man

I use a Comp-Tac locking paddle holster for my Wilson Combat 1911. Also use their double mag carrier. Both holster and mag carrier are adjustable so you can put just the right amount of tension on your gun and magazines. Plus the holster and mag carriers go on and off your belt very easily since they don't have the belt threaded thru them.

George

Another vote for the Comp-tac Locking Paddle holster and double magazine pouches. You don't have to remove your belt to put them on or take them off. The quality is very good and the company is nice to deal with.

Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster. This rig pretty much owns IDPA. It's secure and body hugging enough for daily concealed carry (AAMOF it's what I use to carry my 1911 in on a daily basis) but almost as fast as a cut-down speed rig. The best of both worlds. Truly an outstanding holster design.

Whats your favorite and why?

Milt Sparks Versa-Max II (IWB) because it's what I carry my gun in everyday.

When I start to use my Browning HP and it's Delfatti ISP-3 it will be my new IDPA/IPSC holster.

If you carry a gun daily why not practice with what will be on you when you need it?

If you carry a gun daily why not practice with what will be on you when you need it?

'cause some holsters are just plain unsafe for competition use. Some are already not legal for IDPA use (shoulder rigs) and some should be (floppy inside the pant leather things that require you to sweep yourself and the room to holster the gun).

On the original subject - any decent kydex holster will work great. Can be had from $15 on up. Look for features that you want such as: paddle or belt loop, full or partial covering of weapon, etc).

Just remember the rules. Holsters are becoming touchy subjects these days. :(

For FAST service, and one of the best most stable belt holsters out there i don't think the Comp-Tac Locking paddle can be beat.

no offense to kytac or owners. but it takes forever to get.

as for blade tech, very good holsters but i feel the ones i've used lacked the "finess" that comptac and kytac have.

'cause some holsters are just plain unsafe for competition use.

Then they would not muster as good concelaed carry rig either would they. Unsafe is unsafe be it on the range or street. Since the question was not phrased as "waht is the fasted holster for competition only" although I suspect that is what the poster is looking for, I took the opportunity to interject some common sense as to what you should practice with, and would argue that most people who have taken the time to carry on a daily basis have found what works and what does not, and a good strong side holster for daily carry is more likely to be safe than something designed for competiton and speed.

Personally, I like dead animal skin for holsters. My favorite holster for competition is a Heinie DOJ w/ snap straight drop.

If you just have to have a plastic holster, Talon Tactical by Mike Benedict and Ready Tactical by Chris Stewart are excellent products. I have a holster and mag carriers by both and recommend them without any reservation.

Personally, I like dead animal skin for holsters. My favorite holster for competition is a Heinie DOJ w/ snap straight drop.

If you just have to have a plastic holster, Talon Tactical by Mike Benedict and Ready Tactical by Chris Stewart are excellent products. I have a holster and mag carriers by both and recommend them without any reservation.

Mike is wrong handed too so he can personally relate; B)

Mike doesn't have a fancy website but he makes holsters for just about everything and is easy to work with on custom stuff. Talon Tactical

Also look at Comp Tac. I have some of their mag carriers and like them a lot.

• 1 month later...

Well, this morning I decided to get the new holster. A big part of my decision was going to be, can they get it to me quick so I can practice w/ it before the IDPA nationals.. I called Ky Tac first, I was thinking about the SH2. Called and got an answering machine that said, go to our website.. I then called Comp tac, spoke to a very nice PERSON they said it would be in the mail tomorrow..SALE. Also got the mag holders..I think I made the right decision. B)

• 3 weeks later...

www.m2tactical.com

Similar to Ky-Tac, but makes them FAST and will do custom work very quickly. He made a holster for my Steyr M40 and a couple of mag holders in a week.

He also makes a variety of other things out of kydex, special flashlight holders, combo handcuff/mag holders, knife sheaths, etc. If you can imagine it, he makes it.