Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More on Sideways Mount losing Zero?

Old School

I recently installed CCGunwork's sideways mount on my open gun. After each trip to the range, after getting it sighted in, all is well. During the next trip out, all of my shots are now hitting right. After the third time, I have come to thinking on this and the only thing I can think of is that when I bag the pistol and zip it up, the pressure of the bag is pushing down on the c-more. Is this possible? I didn't think so but I cannot think of anything else.

I have of course checked all of the screws, etc and they are all tight.

Any help on this riddle would be appreciated and I want to like this setup but can't stick with it if I keep losing my zero.

TIA!

OS

Mount it the correct way. This sideways stuff is comical to me. I know its purpose is to benifit the new shooter, but I don't get it. Yeah, the dot is closer to the bore; so what? I see very little difference, and it blocks your view shooting right to left. This is one of those gimmick things. Of coures, this is only my opinion...

Mount it the correct way. This sideways stuff is comical to me. I know its purpose is to benefit the new shooter, but I don't get it. Yeah, the dot is closer to the bore; so what? I see very little difference, and it blocks your view shooting right to left. This is one of those gimmick things. Of course, this is only my opinion...

The correct way creates a parallax problem. I changed mine from regular to sideways. My only problem is I shoot right handed and am left eyed dominant. I can shoot an open gun wiht both eyes

open but every once in a while my let eye will focus on the rear of the c-more and then the dot disappears. Once that happens and you realize it closing the left eye gets me back in sync.

Nothing is perfect. I just prefer to be able to hit a target at a distance with out using Kentucky windage.

Pressure on the cmore can affect zero on any scope mount. Less likely on a vertical mount, yes. Also make sure both of your locking screws are well tightened. Sometimes they don't really hold that well even if they are tight.

What Matt said. For the life of me I can not keep my elevation (windage for you) locking screw tightened. I ended up marking the adjustment screw and Cmore body so I could immediately tell if it has drifted and where to adjust it back to. I check it after every stage now as part of my routine.

Could be that your lenses of your c-more is hitting the top of your slide during recoil. People like to mount their sideway mounts as low as possible for asthetics then the C-More takes a beating during shooting. Often you will start to lose zero within the first 30 rounds. Plus the c-more system of locking in your windage and elevation sucks to say the least.

Hello: What I do is tension the old elevation screw(now windage) in one direction. If you move it a little bit the screw does not put tension on the pivot and it tends to move then. I go past the adjustment and then come back to it putting tension on the pivot. Make sense? Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I had the same issue, after I switched from an upright mount, to a Barry mount. :surprise:

Every couple of weeks it would shoot high/right. I thought it was the scope, so I replaced it, and put the C-more that was giving me problems on a .22, with an upright mount. The one that I THOUGHT was bad holds zero fine now that it is mounted upright, and the replacement scope is also going high/right.

I REALLY like the scope out of the way of the ejection port, and with the scope lower to the bore, I don't have to worry about holding over/under on tight shots, but it is a real PITA to pull the slide/barrel numerous times, to sight it back in. :angry2:

Have you checked the screws that are holding the Cmore to the mount? Should be loctite on them if not...

O1

I recently installed CCGunwork's sideways mount on my open gun. After each trip to the range, after getting it sighted in, all is well. During the next trip out, all of my shots are now hitting right. After the third time, I have come to thinking on this and the only thing I can think of is that when I bag the pistol and zip it up, the pressure of the bag is pushing down on the c-more. Is this possible? I didn't think so but I cannot think of anything else.

I have of course checked all of the screws, etc and they are all tight.

Any help on this riddle would be appreciated and I want to like this setup but can't stick with it if I keep losing my zero.

TIA!

OS

I have not had to rezero my C-More since nationals 2years ago :surprise: Either I am lucky or I tighten the screws the correct amount. Thanks, Eric

My upright C-More needed re-adjustment every week or two,

and I tightened all the screws every week.

My problem turned out to be my grip screws were loose :surprise:

Tighten up your grip screws with a little loctite - no more

problem for me :cheers:

I have experienced some zero problems also. For some unknown reason at a match my Open gun starting shooting high. I switched to my second gun. Checked it at my range the next day and it was 7-8 inches high.All the screws were tight and didn't come loose during test firing. I also store my open guns in such a way that the scope is not resting on its side. I have been contemplating the Aimpoint lately. But will probably stick with c-more. Also all are Alchin mounts.

Everyone I know with a sideways mount has it for the sake of extraction on 9 Major guns.

That said-- try to keep pressure off of the mount in transport, and wait 10-15 minutes after unbagging before you shoot it. Inspect for cracks, and witness mark your adjustment screws to inspect for movement.

I found Eric's advice to be VERY sound, in terms of maintaining tension. I fought my zero for hundreds of rounds until finding a similar tip.

I am also inclined to ask-- you are checking this wind age zero at the same range every time? Any kind of mis-mounting will wreak havoc on your attempts to zero as you change ranges.