Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am Boycotting Hatfield and McCoys

I looked forward to the mini-series Hatfields and McCoys with great anticipation. After the script broke the third commandment repeatedly for no real reason, I stopped watching it.

Call me a Bible Thumper or whatever you want but that's the way my Faith works.

If you want to study controversial backwoods characters from the 1800's research the Sullivan family from Sullivan's Hollow, Smith County, Mize, Mississippi.

Example: If the Sullivans caught you out plowing in an isolated area away from the house, they would hold a gun on you. Make you take the mule out of the collar and set it free. Put you in the harness and make you pull the plow. They took it so far one time that they took the person to their barn after plowing, locked him in a stall and fed him raw corn. This was a common prank of the Sullivans for even family members. You can't make this stuff up.

Bobby H.

Edited by atomicbrh

The third commandment? Is that the one that says:

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

I am amazed that some people ever leave their house because they are so easily offended. <_<

I understand not watching it. There are lots of shows I don't watch because I find something about them annoying, irritating, or even offensive. But boycotting takes it to a whole new level. As long as my TV has an off switch, I don't suppose anyone can make me watch anything I don't want to, so I don't see any reason to force others to adopt my standards and preferences. Smoke 'em if you got'em.

BB

The "Thou shalt not kill" part would have been OK without the cussing? This is the Hatfields and McCoys not the Mets and the Yankees. No offense.Just sayin'.

I modified the thread title I started to more accurately describe what I wanted to say. To clarify my previous post. Not suggesting that anyone else boycott the H/M mini-series. Use your own judgement. My family and I are not watching the series. Just too many "GD's" for us in a very short amount of air time that did not add anything to the script, plot or quality.

The ability to cuss never proved how tough anyone was. I have spent my professional career(33+ years) around people with death imminent who were diagnostically proven to be in tremendous pain. The tough ones are stoic and never cuss.

I started this topic because the series really disappointed me and my family on several points.

Bobby H.

The "Thou shalt not kill" part would have been OK without the cussing? This is the Hatfields and McCoys not the Mets and the Yankees. No offense.Just sayin'.

The Bible says,,,,,,,,,,,, shalt not Murder,,,,,,, I looked it up,,,,, ,,,,, much different that kill,,,,,,,,,

Reading is fundamental,,, even without cussing!

Well, you may have messed me up? I too prefer no cussing, and the Lords name is sacred to me. I work with and shoot with many who don't hold that standard.

I've gotten to where I don't hear it ... just gets filtered out somehow. Minor blessing? I don't question it. So, I didn't even know it's a thing in this series ... I've got them DVR'd and have only watched one episode. I'll likely hear it now, at least for a bit.

So, you may or may not know, there are filters out there that will clip questionable content for you, one that has reviewers, one that works off of closed caption... I'll let google guide you.

I dunno. I think in this instance the GDs did add to the show. They were obviously religious people. They brought God up a ton. Used him as a shield, damned each other with him. Using the Lords name in vain may have purposefully been done to show just how angry they were with each other. Maybe they feel "Dag Nabit Devil Anse Hatfield, you'll get yours!" really didn't cover the emotion they were going for. To each their own. I thought while not 100% accurate it was still entetaining and maybe made a few people decide to look up the true history.

The Bible says,,,,,,,,,,,, shalt not Murder,,,,,,, I looked it up,,,,, ,,,,, much different that kill,,,,,,,,,

Reading is fundamental,,, even without cussing!

Which Bible?

King James Version : Thou shalt not kill

New International Version : You shall not murder

New Living Translation : Do not murder

:)

They didn't even use it as we do today. They would say "may god D. Your eternal soul hatfield"

they arnt just running around saying gd. To figure with all the killing and inter family breeding, your upset about a few cuss words. Is exactly like bloomberg in newyork thinking he's gonna save fat people by banning large sodas. Where has common sense gone?

I'm with the OP on this. If you are ok with GD, then that is your choice. But if you are or claim to be a Christian, then you should not be ok with it. CEO Christians tolerate, but, I don't think we should be considered easily offended because we are not ok with it. It also amazes me how people say family friendly or not in front of children or ladies. Is it ok to sin as long as it is not in front or a family?

Anyone can say what they want. The Constitution will protect you for about 100 years if you are lucky. As for me, I will stick with the commandments and be protected a lot longer.

I remember when Deadwood was on and everyone was complaining about the level of the language in that show. Several people posted material showing that during that time and place, the language was rough. But that the producers had changed the language to the the "F" word because the profanity of that time would not always have the impact that changing it to modern profanity would. Wonder how much of the profanity in H&C is similiar?

All that said, GD is a profanity I can hear a lot less of.

Intersting article about the 3rd commandment and what it really means. Not much to do with saying GD,

Also most of our so called curse words are nothing more than Old english words. The French aristocrats that conquered England used words like urinate, defecate and fornicate, for unpleasant things. Originally vulgar just meant common people, nothing to do with bad, look up the Latin or old french. So the French had their words the Vulgars had theirs. So words were called Vulgar in the same way English now has words that are Spanish. Over the centuries the meaning of vulgar changed to something bad, taking vulgar words along with it.

But I do agree with the OP,, Seems there was a western series a few years back everyone loved said it was really good, "Deadwood " I think. I watched 15 minutes of a single episode, So much profanity it was sickening. Really and did nothing for the show, so I turned it off never watched it again.

I am amazed that some people ever leave their house because they are so easily offended

I am not offended. We were disappointed. The frequency of GD's were taking away from any plot, quality of script or quality of acting. Tough language never proved that a backswoodman was tough mentally, physically or spiritually.

I appreciate all these replies since BE's description of this sub-forum says: "List'em, Debate'em".

Bobby H.

Edited by atomicbrh

Personally I love the hypocrisy that someone would boycott a show due to some curses yet would watch and enjoy for that matter with all the murdering, thievery, adultery, as well as many other immoral things. Gotta love hypocrisy.

Reminds me of Jim Norton's book. Thank you for being offended.

From the forum guidelines in case anyone forgot.

Posting Guidelines

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.

Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

Anyone can say what they want. The Constitution will protect you for about 100 years if you are lucky. As for me, I will stick with the commandments and be protected a lot longer.

But aren't the 10 commandments more of a Jewish thing? I personally have never met a Christian who made any efforts with the 2nd commandment regarding graven images or the 4th about not working on the Sabbath.

Like others have said, I figure if you don't mind watching the murders, you shouldn't mind hearing the blasphemy.