Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M-16 bolt carrier versus AR - 15 carrier

Puma

The problem here is getting to a point where some LEO wants to charge constructive position. Almost impossible to actually do unless you get one angry enough to research the law and find a FED willing to do the paper work. However I do believe it has happened

Other thing is companies like Olymic Arms were cranking out bolt carriers for years with just a couple hundredths off the trip surface. Took a micrometer or an M16 to tell the difference.

Cheers

Retread

Legally not a problem - Colt did it for many years (may still do), and now many other manufacturers sell non-NFA rifles with M16 bolt carriers. So long as you don't have other M16 fire control parts, you are fine.

I am sure you could feel the difference between, say, a JP lightweight carrier and an M16 carrier, but I doubt the difference between an M16 carrier and an AR15 carrier would be noticeable. The extra weight of the full-weight bolt carriers makes for a softer shove as opposed to the sharper snap of a lightweight carrier, and IMHO make the gun run more reliably because their extra momentum better overcome feed stutters. The slower bolt velocity of the heavier carriers also gives the magazine more time to feed properly. The downside of the heavier carriers is that they cause more disturbance to the sights when they hit the back of the buffer tube than a lightweight carrier with properly tuned gas block, and the story is the same with the weight of the buffer. Lastly, the M16 and enhanced AR15 carriers are more reliable than "traditional" AR15 carriers because of their shrouded firing pin head (less likely to catch on the hammer nose).

So your choice boils down to potentially better reliability with an M16 carrier and non-adjustable gas block vs. potentially faster sight recovery with a lightweight carrier and adjustable gas block. I prefer the former, but many here prefer the latter. Yer Pays Yer Money And Takes Yer Choice!

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Mr bardwell is one of the foremost NFA lawyers in the country as well as a writer for Small Arms review. The link http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter52.txt is a letter concerning spare parts and constructive possession. No this one doesn't specifically discuss the bolt carrier issue but does talk a little about it.

OP The not way you will personally get details on your situation is to write the ATF and ask them the question in your instance. The letter above is only applicable to the person it was written too but it was written by the ATF and not some anonymous person in a chat room.

All that being said I believe that a bolt carrier alone is fine. Some others have pointed out that Colt used to ship them regularly which I also believe. Another site I use http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi for specifically NFA discussions if you are interested in some more research.

AR15.com is your friend for issues like this. Use the search engine.

WRONG DO NOT LISTEN to those wannabe's over there. biggerst bunch of prom queens, wannabe's in the industry

never ever go there

real world people think aimless is the biggest joke on the net

m-4 carbine is the only 1 i go to. if u cant get it there u dont need it.

never trust anyone at BARFCOM to be correct on anything because THEY DONT DO ANYTHING

coputer geeks all.

jjw

AR15.com is your friend for issues like this. Use the search engine.

WRONG DO NOT LISTEN to those wannabe's over there. biggerst bunch of prom queens, wannabe's in the industry

never ever go there

real world people think aimless is the biggest joke on the net

m-4 carbine is the only 1 i go to. if u cant get it there u dont need it.

never trust anyone at BARFCOM to be correct on anything because THEY DONT DO ANYTHING

coputer geeks all.

jjw

Some are but there are others who know more about this platform than you will ever live to know. Its about being able to filter information. AR15 is one of the most usefull places to find out info and whats going on with platform. Mall ninjas are everywhere. Even here maybe.

Mr bardwell is one of the foremost NFA lawyers in the country as well as a writer for Small Arms review. The link http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter52.txt is a letter concerning spare parts and constructive possession. No this one doesn't specifically discuss the bolt carrier issue but does talk a little about it.

That letter also seems to presuppose that the lower would even accept the automatic parts. I don't believe any modern lower will accept the auto parts (not milled out in that area).

I'm not competent to tell you if that's a legally-relevant distinction, but it sure is a factual one.

I asked the question about M16 parts in AR15s to a friend several years ago that works at NFA Tech Branch. His answer was that there is nothing regulatory prohibting the mixture of M16 parts in AR15s, you only got in trouble when it fired more than once per trigger pull. He said that they did not recommend it because with excessive wear sometimes the M16 parts would allow the firearm to fire more than once per trigger pull. Remember it only takes two shots per trigger pull to run afoul of this regulation, a long burst is not required. :)

Also avoid those lowers with the extra pin hole drilled in them, even without the M16 part that fits there the hole shows intent which is enough to be charged with.

Edited by retarmyaviator

I printed out a copy of the actual ATF decision on this very subject. I keep it with my Colt that I put one in for just in case. If your google fu is strong you should be able to find it. I can't remember where i got it from though, sorry.

I forgot to add that my Colt 6933 came with a M-16 carrier from Colt. I have seen this subject discussed a dozen times elsewhere. It's legal.

I just bought a Brand new in the box, current production Colt M4 marked LE6920 (from Walmart) and it has an M16 carrier in it. I have seen Govt carbines come with them also.

Hurley

Getting away from the original question.

An M-16 bolt carrier is perfectly legal in a semi-auto AR-15 type rifle.

I have used SP1 carriers, Colt half circle carriers (both unshrouded firing pin and shrouded "LE" models), M16 carriers, Young "NM" carriers. I could not tell the difference in recoil between any of them....

Mick