Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pumps for 3-gun?

tracker

I have been shooting pump shotguns for all my life. I am looking into some 3 gun shooting and cannot lay out the cash for another shotgun. Currently do not own a 12, only 20 gage Rem 870 that I know inside and out. What are some suggestions as for the gun, mods? accessories? Choke selection? Barrel length? And ammo selection. I am a newbie to this. I already own a handgun and have shot production class before. My next purchase will be a carbine.

Thanks!

If you are going to spend ANY significant $$$ (new barrel, new gun etc.), then put that $$$ into a 12ga semi-auto instead. However, your 20ga 870 can be perfectly workable with a modest outlay; 20ga 2-3/4" #7-1/2 birdshot through a modified choke will take down anything you are likely to encounter in a 3-gun match. All you really need is a magazine extension like the ones from Nordic or Choate. Get the longest that will fit under your current preferred barrel. Here is a Choate on my son's 20ga 870 Youth (8+1 capacity, 21" barrel):

870Youth3-GunConfiguration.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Don't you just love all the fanboys that come out when you ask a question. To shoot 3 gun you do not "need" to do anything. To shoot competitively you will need a mag tube extension to get at least 8+1. I would also put on a fiber optic front sight (personal preference, old eyes). It would be nice if you have some chokes. Know where your gun patterns with shot and slugs, practice reloads,and go have fun. as to barrel length Use what you have. I use everything from 18.5 to 24 depending on which gun I am using, you can use longer if necessary. I am not real sure what to use for 20Ga ammo don't own one but Rogers sporting goods has some 20 ga on sale that might help. I would guess 7.5 or 6 shot which is what I use for 12Ga. I also like a side saddle on my guns.As far as slugs buy all the different kinds you can find and test them through your barrel/choke combination.

I refuse to drink the Benelli Kool-aid and will stick with my stock Mossberg 590A1.

I hope this reply is alittle more help than the "buy a nova rants"

Edited by 3gungeezer

I'm not sure what a fanboy is, but 3gungeezer is right, you don;t need a new gun to make this sport fun to shoot. You can spend some $$$ and make you 870 20 gauge adequate for 3 gun. Far from optimal, but adequate.

After you have spent the $$$ and tricked it out with a mag tube, chokes, cut barrel, side saddle and fiber optic sight. Probably just altered a perfectly good hunting shotgun that would be worth less than the sum of its parts.

Two other vital points:

Get some sort of ammo carrier/s. Forearm types are relatively cheap for a beginner.

Practice reloads..practice practice practice. That's the most likely aspect of the game to cost you time.

I know all this because I shot my first match a week ago with an 870 :)

Don't you just love all the fanboys that come out when you ask a question. To shoot 3 gun you do not "need" to do anything. To shoot competitively you will need a mag tube extension to get at least 8+1. I would also put on a fiber optic front sight (personal preference, old eyes). It would be nice if you have some chokes. Know where your gun patterns with shot and slugs, practice reloads,and go have fun. as to barrel length Use what you have. I use everything from 18.5 to 24 depending on which gun I am using, you can use longer if necessary. I am not real sure what to use for 20Ga ammo don't own one but Rogers sporting goods has some 20 ga on sale that might help. I would guess 7.5 or 6 shot which is what I use for 12Ga. I also like a side saddle on my guns.As far as slugs buy all the different kinds you can find and test them through your barrel/choke combination.

I refuse to drink the Benelli Kool-aid and will stick with my stock Mossberg 590A1.

I hope this reply is alittle more help than the "buy a nova rants"

What I meant is buy one cry once. :surprise: Most mossy guys learn the hard way they don't stand up to the abuse. :cheers: I usually carry a back up that gets loaned out alot. If you have a Mossy run it, then moveup to something better. If you stay with it. I know what it is like to fight equipment issues. Just trying to save some frustration. Get something with chokes. Always carry a box of #6 with youfor heavy steel.

Thank you everyone for the input. I know my gun well and I am comfortable with it. It has been more than reliable, and yes I know 3 gunning with it will test that even further. I am not looking to go out and "smoke" everyone. As I know that there are MANY (most) shooters out there who are far better than I. But to have fun and learn. At this time I am saving $$$ to go to a rifle and ammo for practice. If I later wish to become more competitive then I will invest in a more specific shotgun should I see the need.

please keep the tips coming. :)

For the money you might spend on getting your 20ga. going you can just about get a Nova 12ga. I see them all the time for $300 in new condition. You will have a lot more birdshot and slug choices with the 12ga. shotgun. Just go to the matches with ammo and borrow guns until you find the one you like. My shooting buddies and I are always more than willing to let people use our gear at matches. I'm sure other shooters in your area will be like minded so give it a try.

The best thing you can do is buy a long tube extension & get out & play. You will probably also need some way of carrying ammo, either on your arm, which I don't really care for myself, or on your belt.

If you carry some heavy high brass loads for just in case & some regular 7.5s for most shots, you will be good. Also, like the other poster said, try out some slugs. Find the ones that work best for you.

Go to a match, have fun.

MLM

For the money you might spend on getting your 20ga. going you can just about get a Nova 12ga. I see them all the time for $300 in new condition. You will have a lot more birdshot and slug choices with the 12ga. shotgun. Just go to the matches with ammo and borrow guns until you find the one you like. My shooting buddies and I are always more than willing to let people use our gear at matches. I'm sure other shooters in your area will be like minded so give it a try.

If it were me any money I would spend outside of a mag tube would go towards a good semi auto. No sense in putting money into a pump unless your going to shoot heavy metal.

pat

If it were me any money I would spend outside of a mag tube would go towards a good semi auto. No sense in putting money into a pump unless your going to shoot heavy metal.

pat

Yep, just a mag tube & if you enjoy the 3 gun, start saving for a semi auto. I would NOT buy another pump, personally, since you have one you are familiar with. I hope you aren't real concerned about your 870 as it will take a beating in 3 gun shooting. Just the high round count is hard on 'em & then you start tossing them in barrels & on tables & all. It is kind of hard on a good looking gun with some nice wood.

MLM

I'm going to start with an 870 also, and not sure if I will even have an extension tube for it or not, as its not my gun, but belongs to a friend. He's going to shoot my ar, and I'm going to shoot his 870. All my $ has gone into building a good quality AR so the shotgun will have to wait. I suck at shooting pump, grew up shooting semi and O/U, and I always forget to rack the thing. But what I won't forget is to go out and have a great time. :eatdrink:

Like others have said, shoot your 20 gauge until you know what you want. I shot my first 3 or 4 matches with my Mossberg 500 20 gauge. It was a little hard because I couldn't fit a mag extension to it so I was limited to 5+1. I practiced reloading and did just fine, and I shot some long, 36 round shotgun stages with that gun. Later I bought a Winchester 1300 for $100 from a buddy and have shot that since. I will be getting a Mossberg JM 930 very soon though. I've shot for two years in Limited division with a pump and never have really felt at a disadvantage, but I'm comfortable with the gun and run it fairly well. Shoot what you have and have fun! That's what it's about.

BP

Edited by bullpup

Sure you can shoot a pump. You won't win, but you can shoot a pump.

...might not win a national match against Horner or Butler, but a local match, would I bet against a guy who has been shooting a pump "all his life," and is shooting a gun he knows "inside and out," :cheers: nope, sure wouldn't.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

...might not win a national match against Horner or Butler, but a local match, would I bet against a guy who has been shooting a pump "all his life," and is shooting a gun he knows "inside and out," :cheers: nope, sure wouldn't.

I've been shooting a pump "all my life" and can make an 870 sing. However, it's still much slower than running an auto.

Local matches? We have very, very good local shooters (Brian Butcher, Tony Holmes, Ryan Zamberland, guys that go to big matches a lot). You're just not going to beat those guys with a pump, unless you can run a pump at the same speed THEY can run an auto. I've heard there are guys that can, I've just never seen them.

Wishful thinkin.....

+1 My friend shoots a stock SuperNova(except mag tube) and he regularly comes in the top 3 for our local shotgun match excluding open class.. Those Super/Novas are sooooo much easier/faster to load than my Salient M2.

I recently shot a pump and beat a couple of guys with autos, my biggest draw back was the lack of choke. Like most are saying, go have fun, if it is something you are going to get serious about save some money here and there for an auto. Budsgunshop.com does 90 day layaway if that is easier for you than setting aside money. I'll probably upgrade this fall to an auto, in the mean time, I need to keep practicing reloads and get a few more carriers.

Cheers,

Jeremy

I was part of a conversation between Jerry M and Don G at RM3G when the discussion of pump guns came up. As I remember, Winchester came out on top with Benelli, Mossberg next. Now a lot has happened in two years since that match but I was surprised at some of the features (can't remember them now-sorry) that made Winchester a great pump gun for 3G.

My first shotgun purchase was an 870 with a vent rib for dove hunting. I was 17 years old and washing dishes in a hospital to pay for it.

As I said earlier, I am out to learn and have some fun. I am not out to "WIN" or "Beat" anyone. FUN is where its at for me.

I am curios, the Nova has been mentioned a few times. Is it a better gun than an 870?

Don't get me wrong, I've owned at least one 870 continuously for 40 years. Ran one in many a 3 gun and 1 gun competition. I've beat guys with auto's too. I love the platform, run it like you hate it. :cheers:

It's just plain fun to shoot.

As I said earlier, I am out to learn and have some fun. I am not out to "WIN" or "Beat" anyone. FUN is where its at for me.

I am curios, the Nova has been mentioned a few times. Is it a better gun than an 870?

I cut my teeth on 870's as a rookie in the academy 13 years ago and have owned many since. But I would say the Nova is a better gun. its lighter and easier to load.

Pat