Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hatfields & McCoys

I know I am a week early, but with the cast they have, I couldn't wait. This is the first miniseries I've wanted to see in a long time.

Does Anybody else think it looks like a winner?

Does anybody have any interesting tidbits about this series, insider info, anything?

Since I work in a history oriented field I see it as a sure sign the History Channel has finally reached the bottom of the barrel. It appears that with this along with the channel's turn to reality shows authentic documented history no longer has a place on the channel. The channel should change its name.

Edited by retarmyaviator

Since I work in a history oriented field I see it as a sure sign the History Channel has finally reached the bottom of the barrel. It appears that with this along with the channel's turn to reality shows authentic documented history no longer has a place on the channel. The channel should change its name.

Normally I would read a post like this and think the person who wrote it a bit on the overboard side. Well, in this case I too am on the overboard side. Once a channel I loved, it is nothing but lame now. With the amount of history that has been recorded by our species, you would think that they would have quite a long time before running out of programming. I guess I was wrong.

The telling of the story of the Hatfields & McCoys...if told accurately...is a relevant part of our history/culture, in my opinion. Some of the other stuff on the channel...yeah, what are they thinking.

This is why there is more than one History Channel. It is following the same path as MTV. At first MTV played music videos oddly enough. Then they had a few actual shows, started the fall of the west with reality tv, and MTV2 was born to play music videos. The history Channel was once for history, then slowly it turned in the Ancient Ice Road Alien Pawn shop. The other History Channels show more History. That being said the Hatfields & McCoys was awesome.

I enjoyed it last night and am looking forward to the following episodes. I subsequently looked up the history of the feud, and while they took some liberties, they are not too bad.

Mark K

I am not really all that concerned with how genuinely accurate the show is. I can read and study tons of other materials if I want genuine historical accuracy. That said, I was/am hoping for this to be well acted, well written, and an entertaining look into a famous family feud that defined a region and an era in time that is fascinating to begin with.

So far, my wife and I are loving the first episode. I can't wait to see the other two!

:)

I watched part one last night.

I understand it was filmed in Romania-beautiful country. I wonder if they can weave in Vlad Hatfield or McCoy. With the Romanian location, vampires would be only a small stretch :lol:

I don't expect any historical accuracy. It seems to be an enjoyable show.

Dave

Only managed to watch half of the first episode due to time constraints, but have the rest taped. The History Channel managed to load the show with a lot of major talent. Hope the quality stays as good as the start.

I tried to watch the first episode last night via On Demand so to miss the expected onslaught of "reality show" promotion. Have to say, I only made it half way through before I completely lost interest. It just seemed really weak. Maybe it's because the entire story doesn't interest me, maybe it's the production, but all in all, I'm just not into it.

Mac

I had to laugh at the shooting method of Bill Paxson's character during the big gun battle. Just firing rounds without aiming. Guess that was showing how drunk/sickly he was.

Poor simple-minded Cotton. He just didn't understand.

Jim Vance (Tom Berenger's character) was a mean S.O.B.

Holy Cow, I watched about 9 hours total of that series (what with rebroadcasts of episodes) and NEVER knew that was Tom Berrenger!!! Great makeup, I guess.

Yeah, all the major characters you could love or hate at various times, but I was waiting for Jim Vance to get his...

Mark K.

Edited by Mark K

Interesting stuff. Even though they showed Hatfield as a cowardly deserter from The War of Northern Aggression and back-shooting SOB, he was still 'the hero' and the story had a pro-Hatfield tone.

The apathy and impotence of the states and law-enforcement was also notable...something that I had never picked up on while reading about this stuff in school.

One thing I noticed in the first episode is the timeline is hard to follow between the show and reality. In reality there was 13 years between the murder of the McCoy boy by Jim Vance and the pig incident, the show made it seem like just the next growing season.

It was clear to me early on the if Randall McCoy had just gone to the VA and taken his medication properly most of this could have been avoided. I found myself getting real frustrated with the mindset and not being able to really put myself in their shoes. I have a hard time imagining what it was like to have to make those kind of decisions and live with the consequences. Of course I don't drink grain alcohol from wake to slumber either... that might have something to do with it.