Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Powder Measure Quirks

Lately I have been loading much more ammo since I got my 650. I like to do large runs of ammo as well. One thing I have noticed is that my powder drops start increasing as I go along. I can load 400 rounds and check the drop and it will be .1 or .2 higher consistently. I am thinking the wave washer on the knob might be worn out but I just got the press over the winter so I am thinking maybe something else is at work. I know that some will say to check more often but I hate for that to be the answer for a machine that will crank out ammo at an astounding rate. Would the UniqueTek set up cure this? Has it worked to cure this bug for anybody else? When I had my 550 I generally reset things every 200 or so rounds so these things were not as annoying.

Second on my list of quirks is the tendency for the powder drop to be .3 or more higher on the first throw if I let the machine sit for a few minutes. What is the science behind this? Is the weight of the powder in the hopper bearing down on the open bar and cramming a few more flakes in there? Would leaving the ram up while idle fix this? or will the charge still be high on the next throw?

I have also noticed the thing about the measure throwing heavy after sitting a while. I think that it is simple "settling". Vibrations from the house, the earth, or whatever, cause the powder to settle into the throw cavity while it sits unattended. As are as the throw weight changing during use, I don't have a clue. All of mine are rock-solid during use.

I got into the habit of leaving the ram up whenever I stopped a Dillon years ago when I had a 550. It ensures that you don't do anything twice (by stroking it again before rotating the shellplate) and also ensures that you do everything once, because it is clear that the cartridges are engaged in the dies so you know, without a doubt, where you're at in the process.

Well on my 650, I can do a 1,000 rounds and the powder throw is always the same from where I originally set it. The only thing that could cause this would be heavy vibrations that could change the adjusting screw. The question would be is the press solidly mounted ? As far as resuming after a couple hour break or overnight, I too see the an increase it the first throw. This would happen on my 550 if I let it sit over night. Must be those small earth quakes that we can't feel.

Lately I have been loading much more ammo since I got my 650. I like to do large runs of ammo as well. One thing I have noticed is that my powder drops start increasing as I go along. I can load 400 rounds and check the drop and it will be .1 or .2 higher consistently. I am thinking the wave washer on the knob might be worn out but I just got the press over the winter so I am thinking maybe something else is at work. I know that some will say to check more often but I hate for that to be the answer for a machine that will crank out ammo at an astounding rate. Would the UniqueTek set up cure this? Has it worked to cure this bug for anybody else? When I had my 550 I generally reset things every 200 or so rounds so these things were not as annoying.

Second on my list of quirks is the tendency for the powder drop to be .3 or more higher on the first throw if I let the machine sit for a few minutes. What is the science behind this? Is the weight of the powder in the hopper bearing down on the open bar and cramming a few more flakes in there? Would leaving the ram up while idle fix this? or will the charge still be high on the next throw?

Do these numbers change for different powders? I've noticed this more on a flake powder(Unique)than on a ball type such as H-110. I've always attributed it to more room(less dense)to pack down. That, combined with the vibration of the press, added weight to the throws as time went on. We know how important it is to keep a full hopper to maintain consistancy. Maybe try adding powder as you go and see if this changes anything. Just thinking.

I loaded up 150rnds with no gradual increase and lots of checks/rechecks/restarts (first time ever loading) yesterday. I'm going to do a few pulls to see how the powder drop is today. This is with brand new powder measure unit and WSF being dropped through an old 9mm expander/drop.

Brb to report more data for the "this happens" pile.

edit: report is first throw was .1 gr higher. Went back to my "normal" 4.0-4.1 load by the 2nd pull.

Edited by splitime

Well on my 650, I can do a 1,000 rounds and the powder throw is always the same from where I originally set it. The only thing that could cause this would be heavy vibrations that could change the adjusting screw. The question would be is the press solidly mounted ? As far as resuming after a couple hour break or overnight, I too see the an increase it the first throw. This would happen on my 550 if I let it sit over night. Must be those small earth quakes that we can't feel.

Yeah it's plenty solid and I marked the screw cap and it does not appear to be moving .

Do these numbers change for different powders? I've noticed this more on a flake powder(Unique)than on a ball type such as H-110. I've always attributed it to more room(less dense)to pack down. That, combined with the vibration of the press, added weight to the throws as time went on. We know how important it is to keep a full hopper to maintain consistancy. Maybe try adding powder as you go and see if this changes anything. Just thinking.

I only use 320 and WAC and they both do it to some extent.

Always keep it half full. Always settle the powder twice as much as you think you need to. Always fill the hopper (it's half full right) with the handle in the down position. You can see the new powder is not tightly packed vs the old powder.

Unique Tek micrometer will not help.

Their baffle will help but scratch the inside of the hopper. Debur it first.

Using the above with no baffle my weights are rock solid with most powders. Unique is the exception but its livable.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I had the PM on my 550 walk on me. I fixed it by drilling and tapping for a set screw to hold the adjustment screw in place. I set the drop, then tightened the set screws. Problem solved. Haven't noticed anything on the 1050 yet.

WSF and I keep it full. I always start a loading session with a dummy case in the charging station. First pull is always a couple tenths high but by the time the first production case comes around I am good to go. Very consistent after that.

Anytime I clear a jam or do any work that induces a vibration in the machine I assume the next charge will be high and it usually is.

I just accept it as the nature of measuring by volume. Still faster than my RCBS ChargeMaster :surprise: on it's best day.

I spent so much time trying to get my 550 measure to throw Benchmark powder that I gave up and used my RCBS Chargemaster. Always right on and it's faster to set up the load.

Edited by cardguy

Are you sure you have enough tension on the failsafe rod? My first throw is no different and I never remove the powder. I refill when the level is around a half inch. My bench has a little wobble and vibration, maybe that helps? Tite Group 2.1 grains, 12,200+ rounds on a 650. I keep the basement dry. Kind of a soft slam back and forth on the powder measure slide. Lose a few grains due to leakage. Dessicant pack taped to the vent hole. Bend or change the friction shim for sure. Hope this helps some Sarge?

Are you sure you have enough tension on the failsafe rod? Absolutely. My first throw is no different and I never remove the powder. From what I have seen that makes you an anomaly. I keep the basement dry. Me too. Bend or change the friction shim for sure. Brand new. Besides it did the same thing with my 550 with different powder systems. Hope this helps some Sarge?

Based on the number of folks who have the same issue with the first throw being a tad heavier I would say it is normal for Dillons.

What bugs me more is that I am getting upward creep during a thousand round run. I want to be able to let the press run as intended without stopping every few hundred rounds to recheck things.

Sarge, my 550 is always high after I let it sit a while, but after the first throw or two, it goes back down to where I set it. It happens with power pistol, clays, n320, n105, Longshot, doesn't seem to make a difference what powder I use, the first couple are always higher..... But it doesn't "creep".....

I don't think it's a Dillon quirk, it's just the physical nature of the machine. As a mater of fact, I refill the tube after every reloading session adding maybe 1.5". That top 1.5" looks totally different than what the powder under it as it they were different powders or different batches. At least with the flake powders, it certainly does settle settle and compact as you work the machine.

Sarge, maybe I missed it; are you emptying and refilling or keeping it full? If you are refilling I can believe the charge increasing over a long session as the powder in the tube compacts.

The first throw is higher because it isn't dropping on the first few pulls of the handle. That shaking and vibration packs the powder down in to the drop a little more tightly than the rest where it is dropping on every charge. You should dump that first one back in the hopper but I don't. So what if one is a few tenths higher than the rest. If you are that close to the edge then you need to do something different anyway.