Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gauge check every round

Nimitz

Any 9mm or 40 S&W I shoot has been roll sized on a Case Pro. We have a lot of major 9mm shooters and if I pick up any of there spent cases, I want to be sure they are back to factory specks. Monthly matches do not get case guaged but major matches is a different story. Every one goes through, even if they have been roll sized.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gauge all my handloads. Any that fail go into the practice box. Every one has chambered and fired in my gun but I know it's got a generous chamber. I've found 2 split cases. I've had 2 or 3 failures to feed at matches probably due to dings in the extractor groove.

Any 9mm or 40 S&W I shoot has been roll sized on a Case Pro. We have a lot of major 9mm shooters and if I pick up any of there spent cases, I want to be sure they are back to factory specks. Monthly matches do not get case guaged but major matches is a different story. Every one goes through, even if they have been roll sized.

How many rounds do you find that don't fit the gauge after they have been roll sized?

Which company makes those? I'm interested in picking one up, someday.

Why would u put a split case into your press to begin with? :( If you're doing things right, you're inspecting your brass BEFORE you load it. Not just after. I always check for split cases, mud, dirt, debris, spiders, etc. before i put it in the case feeder. Also helps find supercomp, and 40s before they slip through or cause a jam.

All good points Chris as usual. I give my brass a pretty good going over too but I think sometimes a case will split when it gets loaded? I have only ever found one split case while checking loaded rounds and the split was shiny looking like it just happened.

I've built up strong arms from this... but I use a Lee Single Stage press and the Factory Crimp die. 15k 9mm rounds in the past 2 years and I've never had a case get stuck...

(But gawd I'd love a progressive...)

Takes a little time but loading 9mm minor I inspect cases before loading. Stand the up on a desk top. 380 cases are short and the first pulled. Look in the cases for trash, splits, chigger bites, Berdan primers etc. Then pick them up and turn them over looking at bases. Chunk Military cases along with any that are swagged. Then put them in a Rubbermade 18qt dish pan for lubing, once lubed they go in a clean 5 gal bucket ready for loading on a 650.

The effort spent inspecting aids during the production run the machine runs smoother. The first stage sizer is either a Lee standard or the Lee U die. Lee's first stage sizer sizes closer to the extractor groove than some of the other brands and I like the primer punch design. I do not spend this amount of time on other caliber cases but there's so many varied 9mm cases along with the 380's being a pain to me it's worth the effort in quality.

After loading any rounds going to a match are case gauged. I use a simple Midway one hole gauge. Watch as you gauge for splits, high primers or ones that may be upside down. I like to put match ammo in plastic boxes then draw a line across the bases with a sharpie it's another step in checking primers and if a problem pops up you can reconize your brass.

You still trust the cases after being loaded to major PF? When I look at the cases shot by a 9 major and a 9 minor the difference is noticeable. I do not know how many times one of those major cases could handle even minor loads after that. Granted the 9 major is an open Glock with a KKM barrel so that might make a difference also.

You still trust the cases after being loaded to major PF?

I have loaded some of my 9MAJOR cases at least 6 times. It all depends on the load they are running. I use rifle primers in a Briley Barreled Open gun and the primers are not flat at all and the brass looks fine as well.

Wow some of u guys must spend a lot of time reloading! I don't have as much time as I would like just to shoot. Brass gets separated bulk style them cleaned and into the press. Case gauge only for big matches.

Why would u put a split case into your press to begin with? :( If you're doing things right, you're inspecting your brass BEFORE you load it. Not just after. I always check for split cases, mud, dirt, debris, spiders, etc. before i put it in the case feeder. Also helps find supercomp, and 40s before they slip through or cause a jam.

Not to mention the odd Berdan primer, although that's usually a bigger problem with rifle brass.

I use random range pickup brass for all my reloading. When I first started out I case gauged all my rounds. The rejects, maybe 50%, got run through a Lee Bulge Buster and then used. I then thought that in the same amount of time I could just run them all through the Bulge Buster and be done with it. I am happy with the result even though it is another step and a bunch of handle pulling. It gives me another opportunity to inspect each case in addition to when I put them in the boxes and again as I load into a mag. I have not failed to catch a bad round with this method yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I case gauge every round I reload. It gives me a chance to inspect primer seat depth and double check for split cases. Besides, I'm loading range brass and I get 15-25 per 1000 that don't pass so I use them in practice and discard the brass.

• 2 weeks later...

i wonder if a split case that as been crimped in the lee factory crimp die would still pass the case gage? could be bad.

When you clean cases, split cases will cause a 'ringing' sound that regular cases don't. That catches a lot. But some might still slip through.

Using a Dillon XL650, I've found some split cases that made it all the way through the loading process, including the crimping. However, the split case cracks will open up enough to get caught when I check all loaded rounds in the cylinder of my revolver.

I have a LEE U die in the first station and also a redding seating die on my 650 which helps. I don't check my practice ammo but do check all of my match ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Wilson case gauge and checked my last batch of rounds, of which it filtered out a few... Then I tried all the rounds that passed in the barrel... which failed a whole bunch more of them. It bugs me how a Wilson chamber gauge can pass rounds that wouldn't fit the barrel. However, I suspect that it's not Wilson's fault, but an overly-tight chamber. Why a pistol manufacturer would make a chamber tighter than industry specs is beyond me (again, assuming that the Wilson gauge is correct.)

70111-70141.jpg

http://www.egwguns.com/chamber-checkers/50-hole-ammo-chamber-checkers/

I shot many rounds before one locked up my Glock during a Steel Challenge match... It was something I should have caught by a better visual inspection, but I now case gauge every round before I use it for a match or something important.

I like the EGW 50 hole case gauges... they are expensive, but they make it easier and quicker to check... Fill one up twice and I have enough to fill a 100 round MTM box...