Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Eagle or Edge?

gator11

Want some help deciding which 2011 pistol I should buy. I don't currently shoot much other than steel in competition, with a .22 Ruger. A local gunshop owner, and friend, recently signed on to be a STI dealer so I just have to buy one. I don't reload so I think I'll stick with a 9mm. My question is which pistol, Edge or Eagle? From what I understand, the Eagle would provide more options for use. But I'm going in blind with this purchase never having owened one before. This will probably be my only purchase for the rest of the year so I want to make the right decision. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a 5 inch Edge in 38 Super and I also have a 6 inch Eagle in 38 Super. Both have bull barrels. They both have long slides and full length dust covers. They both look the same the only difference is one inch. Both are great. I bought the Eagle because they don't make a 6 inch Edge and I was able to have options to get the Edge look.

The Edge is a smidgen heavier than a standard Eagle but I really like the Edge look. If you want a 5 inch buy an Edge.

If you're going to shoot IDPA and don't have another pistol for that, get the Eagle with the bushing bbl.

Otherwise, get the Edge. I've owned a 9mm Edge and have 9mm bushing bbl, Eagle type pistols. The Edge shoots much softer especially with factory or lighter bullet weight (115/124 grain) reloads. The bushing bbl pistols are snappy and much less pleasant unless you're using heavier (135/147 grain) bullets.

A good compromise between the two would be the Eagle with a bull bbl (again, if you don't need it to shoot IDPA.)

With an EAGLE bushing bbl u can shoot IDPA in ESP & USPSA limited minor and limited 10 minor, and you will still have a good steel gun.

Good luck. STI makes some great pistols the EDGE and EAGLE are just 2 of them.

I know you said 9mm, but if you can stand a .40 the bushing barrel Eagle .40 cal can do USPSA limited major and IDPA the .40 can be loaded down for IDPA minor loads and in USPSA you arent handicaped by shooting minor PF. You say you are going to shoot factory ammo as many did before becoming addicted to either or both of these sports then you figure out the benefits of reloading and 9mm is going to be cheaper to reload. I have a Custom Edge type .40 and bought the Eagle .40 bushing barrel thinking IDPA and a backup Limited USPSA gun and found USPSA is what I enjoy never shoot IDPA so now I have backup Eagle limited gun that I rarely shoot. Easy to make wrong purchases if possible find someone that has these handguns (as both are awesome) and shoot them before your purchase.

I went through a similar dilemma not too long ago. I bought a 5 inch Eagle in 9mm, bushing barrel, with the intent of shooting IDPA, USPSA and steel challenge. I have shot all three and decided that IDPA was not for me. Hindsight is 20/20 and now I know in the near future I will be selling the 9mm to get a 40 in bull barrel. There is nothing about the Eagle I dislike, just realize that I need to make major PF. I had the same thought that I was not going to reload, so I picked the 9mm. Take your time and really think about it before you buy.

I went through a similar dilemma not too long ago. I bought a 5 inch Eagle in 9mm, bushing barrel, with the intent of shooting IDPA, USPSA and steel challenge. I have shot all three and decided that IDPA was not for me. Hindsight is 20/20 and now I know in the near future I will be selling the 9mm to get a 40 in bull barrel. There is nothing about the Eagle I dislike, just realize that I need to make major PF. I had the same thought that I was not going to reload, so I picked the 9mm. Take your time and really think about it before you buy.

I did the same thing last year. I lived in an area that it was a lot more convienent to shoot IDPA. So i bought a 9mm eagle set up for IDPA. Since then I moved to an area where i have a lot of good USPSA matches close by. I end up shooting single stack most of the time now where i will score major.

To answer the original posters question. If i was buying a 9mm it would no doubt be a bushing barrel Eagle. I wouldn't want the extra weight on the muzzle. Plus it could be used for pretty much anything you want to shoot it in. You will just score minor if you shoot limited.

I should have mentioned that I shoot what we call Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup). We don't have the running around and not so speed focused so pistols can be heavier. Every shot counts for 10 points and we shoot up to 50 yards. Minimum power factor is 120,000.

I suspect most of us buy the wrong gun initially unless you are sure which discipline you are going to shoot from the beginning.

I want an Eagle...you guys that are tired of them should sell me one...cheap!

If you are firm on 9mm then I would think the Eagle would be a better choice. I think an Edge would take some of the fun out of shooting. It would be like playing with an airsoft...

The answer depends on what you want to shoot. The Edge is not allowed in IDPA. If you want the best gun for USPSA buy an Edge with a 40 bull barrel. If you want to shoot both buy a bushing barrel Eagle in 40. If you want a 9mm gun buy the bushing barrel Eagle. The Eagle or Edge will sell instantly if you change your mind.

Edited by GForceLizard

Im going to a IDPA match this Sunday. Hope to have the chance to shoot both pistols, my gunsmith tells me one of the members will let me fondle his. Hope this will help me decide.

Short dust cover balances better for me. Shot IPSC for years and started shooting IDPA a few years ago. A Eagle with a bushing barrel would be my choice for steel, IDPA and IPSC if you were to purchase only one pistol.

I agree with the suggestions that the Eagle with a bushing barrel (in either 9mm or .40SW) is one of the most versatile guns out there if you're only going to have one. It'd be legal to shoot in just about any of the competitions. Later, if the OP gets sucked into USPSA he'll probably want a second (or third) gun...and can then get one that is division-specific.