Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 ammo availability

hgr2

Been shopping around for some 223 ammo(non-Russian) and it’s getting harder to find and more expensive every day. Just about everywhere I've looked is out of 55gr bulk reloads and if they do have it it's priced as new. Even once fired 223 brass has gone up almost over night. Are people hoarding again or some new regulations in place?

Been shopping around for some 223 ammo(non-Russian) and it’s getting harder to find and more expensive every day. Just about everywhere I've looked is out of 55gr bulk reloads and if they do have it it's priced as new. Even once fired 223 brass has gone up almost over night. Are people hoarding again or some new regulations in place?

It's an election year...folks are getting a head start after what happened in 2008-09.

Sigh...guess it's good I bought at least some ammo last year when it was on sale. Guess I have to make sure I have enough components to keep me going through the election.

~Mitch

I caved and started my preemptive hoarding early so I don't get screwed by all the hoarders like last time. I bought 4k pieces of once fired .40 for $118 a couple months ago. Cheapest I can find with stock now is about $200. Bullets prices are up a tad, availability is getting worse. Powder and primers are still not crazy. I'm not as buffered with my .223 components, but I'm getting close.

Bought federal 100 packs red box at walmart for $38.97 today.Had at least 10 boxes. They also had American Egale made by federal only in 20 round boxes. Ive shot both with no prblms save my brass and startin to reload.

At a gun show this February I picked up 2k of American Eagle and 1K of reloaded 55gr ball for $900 out the door. I called the guy who sells the reloads and they are now $369 per thousand. The same stuff was on their website for $288 about a month ago. I might try some of that Russian stuff for practice. If I do find a good deal I will be making a much bigger purchase this time.

Anybody know why the 223 Re, 55 gr ammo is loaded to a higher velocity than the 5.56mm 55 gr ammo? I thought the 5.56 had a higher pressure rating. I also emailed Freedom Munitions the same question and I'm awaiting a reply.

Caliber Grain Type Velocity Energy 223 Rem 55 FMJ 3240 1280

55 PSP 3100 1174

55 V-MAX 3240 1282

60 V-MAX 3100 1281

62 FMJ 3020 1225

62 PSP 3090 1357

69 HPBT 2900 1288

77 HPBT 2750 1292

Caliber Grain Type Velocity Energy 5.56 62 M-855 3050 1280

64 M-856 3000 1278

55 M-193 3150 1211

I always look to ammoman.com to see how tight things are. If he does not have any XM193 available then, IMHO, things are tight. As of today, there is no XM193 listed.

ammoman has good prices and availability, but as a person, he's an ass (his store is not too far from me). He exemplifies the 'gun show commando' persona.

• 3 weeks later...

Bi-Mart in Forest Grove, OR has the American Eagle 100rd bulk packs in stock for $33.97 - I bought some as they haven't had any in stock for a little while. Last Sept I bought from the same store on sale for $31.

~Mitch

Anybody know why the 223 Re, 55 gr ammo is loaded to a higher velocity than the 5.56mm 55 gr ammo? I thought the 5.56 had a higher pressure rating. I also emailed Freedom Munitions the same question and I'm awaiting a reply.

The .223 loads are probably chronoed out of a 26" barrel bolt gun (varmint gun) while the 5.56 loads are probably chronoed out of an 20" AR.

I chronoed a few rounds of the FM 55gr ball ammo the other day. Out of my 18”Criterion chrome lined barrel it was running right at 3000fps and out of my 20” Lother Walther it was a bit over 3100fps. The SD was in the mid 20s. Accuracy was nothing to write home about, but on par with any other bulk ball ammo I’ve shot. Thinking about getting a bunch more.

• 2 weeks later...

Homeland Security purchased about a bazillion rounds about 2 months ago.

Pat

POLITICAL CONTENT REMOVED.

Please read and follow the forum rules.

Thanks,

Admin

Edited by Flexmoney

There hasn't been much availability of 223/40/9 locally for some time now. Online availability has been better but the price keeps rising. There are some ok deals out there but you have to keep on top of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought .223 pmc for 5.89 a box of 20.

its only a shortage when all the fools run out and buy up everything, lately the deals come in waves. If you don't see one just wait a minute.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep the PMC was available here too-lots of sales over the 4 th long wknd. I opted for Fed Am Eagle 556 for 6.99 / 20. I've been finding FAE 9 in 147 and 40 in 180. Shooting FAE in matches more. All have been consistent and outshoot Brand Name Federal side by side and always cheaper as the bargain line. I try and keep in front of the curve and not get to the desperate need of a round and am still doing okay not reloading and catching relative bargains.

Edited by mingaa