Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB and bulge brass ... Almost fed up is it time for 650xl ?

I've been running all my 40sw brass thru a Lee Bulge Buster before running it thru my SDB ... But this definitely works and I have no issues with feeding it thru my STI Edge. But, I'm getting tired of the extra step. So for every brass I run I've done double work ...

Will the Dillon 650xl resizing dye fix this problem ??? Or do I still need to run the 40sw thru the Lee Bulge Buster ???

Search for topics on the Bulge Buster or the GRx die. You'll find people that love them and people that say they are not needed if using brand XYZ sizing die and a Lee FCD to finish it off. Like you, I am an SDB guy with a GRx die setup on a single stage. I like the results and don't mind the extra step. I keep a bucket full of clean brass that has been processed through the GRx. I load on my SDB until that bucket gets too low, then I process more. It works for me, but I only shoot 4k per year or so. Someday my son will be old enough to process brass in the GRx for me! He likes it now, but he's not heavy enough to pull the handle.

I starting running a lee undersized sizer on my 650 and it fixed the 1-20 that wouldn't fit the case gauge.

not so much on the sdb........

however it is always time for a 650xl and this sounds like a reasonable excuse, order one quick before you accidentally correct your problem and miss the opportunity.

So what you guys are saying even with the 650xl I still need to run the bulge brass thru the Lee Bulge Buster ???

No. Put a Udie in station one of the 650. You will enjoy doing half the work you are used to.

But, your press will be more taxing to work on. I've done it both ways and I've found, IMHO, a single stage press setup with the Udie is MY best method.

I love the way the 650 cycles with the UDie in a separate single stage press. Like butter baby.

I've run about 15K rounds of once fired (99% Glock) 40S&W brass through my 650 with a Lee Udie. I've only had "1" case not pass the case gauge. Although I've had 2-3 cases that I couldn't get the handle all the way down. Those were bulged so much that it felt like I was going to break something if I completed the stroke.

I never case gauge my practice ammo any more and I've not had a single issue.

Hello: Have you tried the brass after you have shot it through your Edge to see if you actually need to resize it with the Lee die? I found when I had a SDB that the once fired brass I was using needed to be resized the first time but after it was shot through my 2011 it did not to be resized and could be loaded on the SDB only. Worth a try. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Have you tried the brass after you have shot it through your Edge to see if you actually need to resize it with the Lee die? I found when I had a SDB that the once fired brass I was using needed to be resized the first time but after it was shot through my 2011 it did not to be resized and could be loaded on the SDB only. Worth a try. Thanks, Eric

The brass I'm processing is once fired brass I bought from a buddy. Most of the time; I don't pick up my brass @ the range... The only time I pick up my brass is when I'm sending lead down range @ my local indoor range.

But; even thought I pick up my brass @ the indoor range I still run thru the Lee Bulge Buster because I end up mixing the old brass with the new ones.

I've been running all my 40sw brass thru a Lee Bulge Buster before running it thru my SDB ... But this definitely works and I have no issues with feeding it thru my STI Edge. But, I'm getting tired of the extra step. So for every brass I run I've done double work ...

Will the Dillon 650xl resizing dye fix this problem ??? Or do I still need to run the 40sw thru the Lee Bulge Buster ???

RippSpeed,

I owned an indoor range and reloaded 40, 45 ACP, Colt 45, 38 Super and 44 Magnum on the XL650. I had my ammunition manufacturing license. I used the XL 650, the standard Dillon Carbide 40 die and the Dillon case cage. I did not have trouble with bulges. The brass was all once fired and picked up from our range. The majority of the pistols were Glock, XD and our Beretta range guns, with a few 1911 frames. I bought bulk military powder and used Rainier LeadSafe total copper jackets for the indoor range.

I would think you could start out with the standard Dillon setup and make modifications from there.

Edited by Cotys

You don't need a u-die. Just use a regular Lee die. Set it up right. It's not really hard.

yep, couldn't be more right

+1 to this. I was using the dillon 40 die for some time, but when I got really bulged cases it would leave a 'lip' of brass near the base of the case causing the brass to not cage gauge nor chamber. I switched to the standard lee sizing die, the lee seems to size a bit smaller and further down than the dillon. It's not very often I recommend something over a dillon product, but this is one.