Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about coming over to the dark side

ChandlerSniper158

I`m really considering switching my limited gun to an open gun. I am getting back serious about shooting after taking about a 3 year break. I have been shooting a lot since the first of the year, and I am having a hard time getting back to where I used to be(I was shooting on par with a high B or low A). Shooting a 3 gun last weekend I had to keep telling myself to slow down and see my sights, but I still had bad misses on targets past 15yds with my pistol. I shot the Space City match today and it really showed on longer range steel and targets. When I transition from close and fast to distant targets, I go from focusing on the sight to looking for the target, when I come back to the sights, I lose the targets, as in can`t see it, when I transition back to see the target I lose the sights and end up missing. I thought it was just me being rusty, but it isn`t getting any better. I`m getting frustrated with it because I know I shoot better than I am. A friend has offered to let me shoot his open gun next weekend to see if it`s easier for me. Will going to a dot type sight help me with this..(I don`t have problems with my scoped 3 gun rifle), or do I need to consult my eye doctor about getting glasses specifically for shooting?

I have to add, I have an issue with my right eye. I was hit with a bungee cord when I was younger and my right eye doesn`t focus the way its supposed to. After my injury I transitioned to left handed on all platforms since I can`t see thru a scope or the sight on my shotgun. I want to build a 9x19 for 3 gun as that`s my primary focus, and just shoot minor for USPSA.

Any thoughts from someone who has walked this path already?

Thanks,

CS

Edited by ChandlerSniper158

It does sound like an appointment to an eye doctor is in order, but, if you do go to an open gun, you only focus on the target, and when the "dot" magically appears on the target, if you pull the trigger properly, a hole will appear! :cheers:

My vision is getting so bad that if I wear the glasses I had made to see iron sights, it's a SOB to see the targets past about 15 yards. If I shoot open, I wear distance glasses, and the misses are all me. :surprise:

I'm going to give Open a try this weekend. My eyes just can't deal with iron sights any more and the prescription inserts for shooting glasses just don't work that well for me. I'm doing it on the cheap for now - just got a new upper for my Glock 35. I don't expect to win any prizes but anything is better than struggling to see the sights - just takes all the fun out of it.

RH45... that`s part of my concern with getting specific glasses for shooting my pistol. What`s it going to do when I`m shooting more than one gun on a stage? If I have glasses set up for seeing iron sights, what`s gonna happen to the guns I can see ok with? I can see up close, but things get blurry as the distance increases without my glasses. That`s why I`m thinkin the dot will work.. see the target in the optic, set the dot on it, press trigger, and repeat as necessary.

RH45... that`s part of my concern with getting specific glasses for shooting my pistol. What`s it going to do when I`m shooting more than one gun on a stage? If I have glasses set up for seeing iron sights, what`s gonna happen to the guns I can see ok with? I can see up close, but things get blurry as the distance increases without my glasses. That`s why I`m thinkin the dot will work.. see the target in the optic, set the dot on it, press trigger, and repeat as necessary.

I too went down that road but not quite to the extent you are. I swiched my Para 40 to an open using a CMore red dot and it works great. After two years I bought a STI 38 Super and have been shooting that. I can see the targets great with the dot. I even just got a 22 conversion for my STI and am using that on Steel Matches. Wouldn't go back to iron sights for anything now.

I've been shooting a borrowed open gun for about 2 weeks now while I'm waiting for my gun to be built (going on four months now... Ugh...). Shooting open is the most fun you can have with your pants on. I've been shooting production - which is very fun - but for me is just not as fun as shooting a loud comped gun with 29 rounds in the grip!

Come on over! There's cookies for everyone :)

Cookies you say??? What kinda cookies?? Well my decision was made a lot easier the rest of the weekend. I won a 1911 barrel in the prize drawing, and picked up a 9mm. Gonna do a 9x19 shorty, like a steel gun. This ought to be fun...

Thanks for the input guys..

CS

Well, I shot my first match with my open conversion. I liked the red dot but something in the setup wasn't working right - kept getting jams and failure to go fully into battery so I bagged it. It had been working during practice so I have no idea what the problem is. But, as the MD, I didn't really have the time to mess with it.

well.. my journey to the dark side is almost complete. Shot my friends open gun today. 6 stages, no mikes and 1 for 1 on all the steel and poppers. I didn`t shoot as fast as I would have liked but all and all I am really happy I could see, and my speed will come back once I`m comfortable. I have the barrel, the slide will be here Tuesday, I have a Cheely Cmore RTS mount and optic on the way as well.. I`m pretty fired up. Now... wheres my damn cookies???

I am going back to the dark side. I left Production for good.

Practice with my Open .22 conversion today. I will shoot my SV Open next match. Going to do some heavy duty dry fire practice this week.

Well, the journey is complete. Thanks to a fellow forum member who was looking for a limited gun, and wanted to trade an open gun, a deal was made. I have a new (to me anyway) open blaster. Its a shorty in 9mm major. Now all I have to do is get some time behind it!!

Thanks again Craig...

Well, the journey is complete. Thanks to a fellow forum member who was looking for a limited gun, and wanted to trade an open gun, a deal was made. I have a new (to me anyway) open blaster. Its a shorty in 9mm major. Now all I have to do is get some time behind it!!

Thanks again Craig...

Pics? :cheers:

Hi Scott, Thanks for the thread!!!

It is good to see how others work with this age related Eye thing.

Guess I should stop accusing my kids of somehow messing with my Iron Sights!

(no 3 gun match yet. Surprisingly, I have not found many nearby)

What a coincidence, Graham Smith runs the local USPSA matches. I will see him the 3rd Saturday this month at Southern Chester County.

That new Open Gun is sweet.

Thanks again for the shout.

Take care

I started shooting open in USPSA in the last couple of months and am having a blast! I only got the open rig because a buddy was selling it and the deal was too good to pass up, and because it was 9mm major. lol. I switch between the open gun for pistol matches and and .40 limited blaster for 3 gun with no problems. The first thing I noticed when going to open was that all the bells and whistles were not a cure all for bad habits and do not, in and of themselves, make a shooter better. lol. It's taken a few months but I'm finally feeling like an open shooter and feel like I'm as good open as limited. I find that the dark side suits me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I shot my first match with my Open .40 FrankenGlock this weekend. Given that this is my first match of any kind in over a year and that I've had problem with jams the past two times I tried to shoot, I was fairly pleased with the outcome. I didn't finish first but as one person put it, "I saw you shoot one stage and you don't suck!"

I must admit, that I pushed it rather hard and lost track of my red dot at one point and really don't have the right load for this gun, but it was such a pleasure being able to see the sights without squinting. I think I'm going to like this.

but it was such a pleasure being able to see the sights without squinting. I think I'm going to like this.

I hear ya buddy.. I`m diggin shooting open. It`s awesome being able to see and hit what I`m shooting at. I`ve shot about 8 matches with it now and I`m not winning but I`m staying consistently in the top 10 at against some tough open shooters. I am really glad I made the change..