Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lubing cases

Giant81

So I've been under the impression that you didn't have to lube any pistol cases at all as with straight walled brass, they will size just fine. Then I ended up with some hornady one shot to try loading some 5.56 and thought I'd try it on the pistol brass. WOW did they re-size easier. Almost too easy. I can always feel when a .380 makes it into my batch as it's extremely light when it hits the die. I'll have to keep a closer eye out for .380s now.

I really like how much easier it is than it was before lubing the cases, but is is strictly necessary? And if I do lube the cases, do I need to tumble after to remove the lube or can I just lube the outside of the case, run them through the de-primer/size then on to primer/flare/powder/seat/crimp and be done?

More specifically. You can lube pistol cases, but if you don't intend to tumble the lube off the cases, make sure it won't affect the primers/powder. One Shot will not, but some other lubes will.

You will like it.The pistol brass resizes easyer makes things go much smoother.And yes use the one shot I won't reload pistol brass with out it again.I don't worry about getting some inside the brass it won't affect anything I also don't clean it off after loading

I rub a tiny dab of pure lanolin between my thumb and index finger, and basically lube pistol brass between the brass bin and station one of the press. When the sizing gets "harder", I refresh the lanolin. I've been doing it this way for a couple of years. I have a can of one shot...I just don't think I've ever used it.

Spray some of the Dillon lube on an old towel, not a whole lot, just a couple of squirts, dump cases on towel, fold over and grasp ends and shake back and forth for awhile. Puts enough on to size/deprime or GR .40s and doesn't leave much residue.

For 223 I have abandoned one shot for either dillon lube or my proprietary mix.

But to your question getting the heavier lubes off the brass is even harder than one shot. I am currently using older tumbling media for a couple or three hours to remove it.

I am curious if the guys using the liquid cleaners are having better luck assuming you are not trying to clean them after they are loaded.

if one shot doesn't effect powder or primer why remove? I say leave it on as a thin layer of protection to preserver the brass for storage. Does it crap up guns if you fire them with lube still on them?

Stainless method gets it off well, as usually everyones favorite mix has some sort of soap in it.

My favorite - at the moment - is to place one quart of 5% vinegar in a gallon jug and then fill with water. Gives a 1.66% vinegar mix and then add a healthy squirt of Dawn. Works like a champ !!!

if one shot doesn't effect powder or primer why remove? I say leave it on as a thin layer of protection to preserver the brass for storage. Does it crap up guns if you fire them with lube still on them?

I also leave it on but it does make loading mags a bit of a dirty process.

Had excellent success with a mix of 91% alachol and 100% lanolin oil.

Combine the two, spray over cases, wait till the alachol evaporates, load.

By tumbling the pistol cases after loading for a few minutes in media the remaining lanolin oil is removed.

I finally tried oneshot on some .45acp brass. Once I had enough on, it sized as easily or even easier than my usual method, and had the added benefit of no more brass sticking on the powder funnel. Spraying an alcohol/lanolin mix would probably have the same effect though.

By tumbling the pistol cases after loading for a few minutes in media the remaining lanolin oil is removed.

Any proportion to mix in, or just enough so the alcohol will liquefy the lanolin so it can be sprayed on? I know my wife has some lanolin left from breast feeding the kids, and alcohol at the drug store is cheap enough. I might have to give this a shot.

Any proportion to mix in, or just enough so the alcohol will liquefy the lanolin so it can be sprayed on? I know my wife has some lanolin left from breast feeding the kids, and alcohol at the drug store is cheap enough. I might have to give this a shot.

A mix of about 20% lanolin oil and 80% alcohol. The lanolin oil must be 100%...if it is diluted or cut with other products the mix will not work.

This is interesting. I normally don't lube my pistol cases at all. I have a bunch of 91% Alcohol. Perhaps I'll have to see if I can locate lanolin oil. Any suggestions on brand or where to find it?

A quick search online yielded a ton of results. What are you guys using?

Edited by Mike_P

OK, one-shot lube users. ANY great ideas on getting the lube off of .223 cases after? I do not want to re-invent the wheel, tumbling DID not work at all, left crap on the cases that was hard to get off.

I use 91% alcohol in a spray bottle. Spray the ammo with it, agitate, or roll around inside a towel to further distribute the alcohol, then let it evaporate. Works well on pistol brass and the alcohol is fairly cheap. I use this to remove Dillon case lube. I have several cans of One-Shot that are gathering dust since I started using the Dillon lube.

you can send me the one shot, I find it's pretty easy to use and so far hasn't . I still want to get some dillon lube to try later, but so far one shot has been working for me.

I use liquid lanolin (from Amazon) with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol in a 1:12 mix. 99% isohol is harder to find but mixes better with the lanolin. I used IsoHeet (red bottle fuel dryer) from the local auto parts store clearance table. Add a dollar-store spray bottle.

Put a hundred or so cases in a gallon ziplock bag, give a few squirts, knead around, and dump out on a paper towel to dry, then load.

Comes off in the tumbler with corn cob in 15 - 20 minutes.

Edited by 1idcat